Laptop suggestions

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 95
  • Views Views 19,503
I don't have ne HD display at my place... nor will I be buying in the near future... cable wallah kuch khas nahin dikhata!! :P

Just got a SMS from Dell telling me they'll call me shortly.

I dont understand what HD display has to do with cable tv !

By the way please keep us informed on your experience with Dell like your mode of payment,delivery time and other formalities .

i guess i would get it checked from Dell US whenever my friend goes back to the US later this month. dell India seems to have made it clear that the warranty exists but is valid only in the US atm.

is it even possible to purchase a local warranty for something bought abroad?

Yes it is possible in case of Dell .

Regards,

Farmboy

i guess i would get it checked from Dell US whenever my friend goes back to the US later this month. dell India seems to have made it clear that the warranty exists but is valid only in the US atm.

Hello Sushub,

Try filling " International Tag transfer form " on the following page and let's see what happens :

Dell - Support=

Copy and Paste the above link .

Regards,

Farmboy

The link on that page didnt work try this link :

Find a Notebook, Desktop, Server, Printer, Software, Service, Monitor or TV at Dell.

But the original service tag is required for this transfer .

Farmboy

that was the form i filled for the transfer of ownership! Dell has specifically said that the warranty on the purchase in the US was applicable locally only.

that was the form i filled for the transfer of ownership! Dell has specifically said that the warranty on the purchase in the US was applicable locally only.

Well I dont know about your case .

But Dell did transfer my ownership as well as warranty to India along with it after I filled up that form .

They gave me next business day warranty and my parts were replaced the next day after being delivered from their Gurgaon office ,where you are already based .

May be now they have some new policy Im not aware of that .

Farmboy

At present, there is no warranty active for the service tag *********. The reason being, the present warranty you have is a local warranty which is valid only in the region of purchase. This is a not a transferable warranty. So in India, the warranty status is showing as nill. You need to buy a new warranty in India.

The present warranty on the note book is still valid in US and you do not have the transfer the tag to US again, since you bought the machine in US. The tag remains valid there.

I guess they have several warranty types. The one you got was probably globally valid types. :)

I do have the option to get it upgraded from the US itself. I would see which comes out to be cheaper for me.

I was also looking for a laptop, though not yet decided on which one to buy. I have done some research on net and here is my opinion on the company websites.

Dell's website design is superb and is the best of the lot. i like the way they offer customization which is not available in any other.
Dell Notebooks - Small and Medium Business

Sony's website is OK , but as it is expensive, Im not looking for viao.
Sony India : VAIO TZ

HP's site is pathetic. I believe HP is not at all updating their site. The link to "View all HP Pvillion notebook PCs" is down for past 10 days
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF02a/1090709-1116637-1116665.html
Is there any other way to view all HP models and compare prices? Anyone has any link?....
(I was eagerly looking for HP Pavilion tx1201AU )

Acer's layout is confusing, but is detailed. You need to pick each model one by one to get the specification. "View all" option is missing
Products-Notebooks

Lenovo is OK, but badly missing the customization option.
Lenovo - Notebook computers - India

Im still biased towards HP. Any users of tx1201AU ? please share your thoughts.

Ya Dell should start manufacturing in India already, make the prices even more cheap :)@ItsMe: tx1201au is out of stock I think, I got similar model tx1302au and it's decent. although i woudlnt recommend gettting a tablet coz they are overpriced and you dont really use the tablet feature that much!If you dont want to wait for a dell delivery get another HP model... perhaps an Acer... from a local laptop shop/dealer where you can look at the models in real life before purchasing...and ya its funny how HP laptop list page is down right at the time of diwali...@ItsMe: if you want a small portable laptop get the Dell XPS M1330 its a sleek and powerful model by itself for about Rs 60k...i just browsed the hp US site and the dv2500t compact 14.1 inch model seems nice. you might get a core2duo 2ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb HD, dvd writer for rs 60k im guessing... my only complaint is that HP has low-resolution LCDs at the same size as others. this model has only 1280x800 at 14.1 inch while dell gives option of 1440x900 and at 15 inch you can get 1680x1050...

Thanks @vishalrao, I have checked M1330 and was impressed. It was right within my budget and has all options Im looking for. (Core 2 T7 series, vista with aero, 2GB, 160 GB SATA) . But I would love to have a NVIDIA video card with atleast 256 MB, but this model allows me to upgrade to geForce 8400 with 128 MB max. Im looking for a video card having atleast 256MB memory (though dont know what Im going to do with that :hysterical: ). how much did you pay for tx1302au ?

Back