Laptop suggestions

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 95
  • Views Views 19,503
What ??? BB from BSNL within one week??I am working in BSNL, eveen I couldn't get it for more than Nine months, only after, complained to G.M. and two visits to local exchange...lucky guy.. perhaps I mishandled the local exchange staff, on the issue... wish you good services from your locationwith regards,vaithy

that was back in feb 2005 in bangalore when dataone was newly launched, now im in pune, where i got the connection in mar 2005...

btw, if you are working in BSNL, cant you tell your people to launch 2 mbps unlimited plans for rs 2000 or less??? :)

All, My friend is going to buy a laptop with following configuration from Dell.Core 2 duo T7250 ,15.4" screen, 2GB 667MHz, 256MB NVIDIA8600M-GT , 250 GB harddrive (Graphics card is my suggestion). The OS is Vista home premium and he is getting integrated webcam and finger print reader. Model is M1530. He is also getting a complimentary bluetooth mouse from dell. And all these for rs 62500/-. he asked me whether its a good deal and whether he needs to check any other configuration. As I am the ultimate computer techie in his eyes, I need to respond and give some advice. Please help. Do you think the deal is worth?. I advised him to check with HP also, but he is somehow convinced in buying dell only. And someone promised him the machine in a weeks time. Is it possible? I heard that Dell is delaying the delivery of machines for more than a month.

inspiron 1520? i have the same model. different configuration. pricing seems to be ok to me.

no i think this is the new XPS M1530 not the inspiron 1520... :) price seems ok to me... i wonder what the screen resolution and hdd rpm is...

Thanks @Sushubh, I advised him to look for some additional freebies, maybe a printer or a laptop bag :)@vishal, the screen size in his palmlet is 1200 x 800 TFT and the hard drive is SATA 5400rpm

Hello there... its been long so I thought I'd inform you guys and give you guys some update. My laptop is with me. I got it on the 1st of Dec after a lot of effort. :P

It was the 17th of Nov. My order still stood nowhere. The Dell website showed nothing informative. The DELL representative refused to return my calls and emails. So I went ahead myself, searched for the DTDC office, found it and asked them to collect the cheque from me on the 19th, Monday. Monday came, DTDC showed no signs of changing. I had to call them up myself to get them into some action. DELL was still sleeping.
I wasn't home when the DTDC guys arrived at my place to pick up the cheque. My parents handed over the cheque to him and asked him for some receipt. The DTDC dude gave them a deposit slip. But my parents insisted that he give them something from their side.. like the slip these courier companies give you when you send a parcel(P.O.D.??). So this guy calls up his office and makes my folks talk to him. The guy at the office tells my parents that if they wanna give the cheque they can otherwise he's not bothered. My parents did manage to get the dude who had come to give it in writing that he had taken the cheque.

When I returned, I was informed about what had happened. I lost my cool then. I called up DELL and tried to get through to my designated account manager. I couldnt. He wasn't available. I called up and talked to another woman. I told her what happened. The response I got was that please give all of that to me in writing. I was like WTF. I asked her to cancel the order. She said OK, as if she really didn't give a fcuk. But maybe then she realised that the order had already been shipped. She got into damage control. I refused to listen to her and asked her to bring someone senior on the line. So now this dude Rajiv or Raju or whatever comes, listens to me and replies with a rude OK THANK YOU. I really couldn't get why they were showing me this attitude. He told me he wud call up in an hour n revert back. Which he didn't. I went ahead, got the cheque payment stopped.

I sat on my PC, searched for Michael Dell's email address and found this : [email protected] . I started typing, gave it off to them and told them clearly that I wanted nothing to do with them now. I CCed the email to my account manager, his manager.

The very next day I was woken up by a call from bangalore on my phone. I pick up and here's a lady who wanted to speak to me regarding the email I had sent last night. So well before I sent the email and cancelled the order myself, they hadn't bothered to respond. She starts apologising and telling me that the order wuz in delhi and blah blah. I was firm. She got another dude on the line. We talked for a good twenty minutes. They were ready to treat me on a priority basis and extend my warranty. I said OK. Wrote another cheque and couriered it to them myself this time.

They call me on the 22nd and inform me the cheque has been received and has been forwarded to the finance team. AND THEY FALL ASLEEP AGAIN. After five days, on the 27th, the money is debited from my account. Hmmm... I never knew it took that much time for a payable at par cheque.
The laptop was in gurgaon all the while and it took those dumbasses a week to generate an invoice and get on with the delivery. Suddenly on 29th I got a call and the woman informs me that the laptop would be personally delivered tomowworw. I wait the whole of the 30th. Nothing. I mail that lady. She calls up and tell me that she wouldn't leave the office until its delivered... it won't take more than an hour. Night falls. Just like somebody gets stood up sometimes when they go for a date... DELL failed to deliver.

The next day, as it was getting all dark and chilly... somebody rings the bell. Finally... the DELL retards arrive with the order at 8PM. They get me to sign and leave. But contrary to what DELL promised, noone was there for any installation. Nobody called. After 4 days the DELL people think its OK to call me again. The call is cut short due to network congestion. Yesterday they called me again and asked me for my feedback and wanted my rating. She called the same woman online who had called me after I had shot off that order cancellation email. I gave them a 6/10.. to which the lady replies that this rating would affect the growth of the account manager but anyways she can understangd. WTF. Attitude again.

So anyways... I have the laptop. Works fine. Just had to remove that POS McAffe security center and Roxio crap. It works good now. But I gues a fresh format and installation would do good to remove the bloatware.

CONCLUSION:
Until you're firm with the retards at DELL, they won't deliver. Always ask them for a specific deadline for delivery. Make sure you gather enough evidence to sue them (in case the need arises :P). If you're very considerate like me and take all the initial shit they give you, you're in trouble. The only upper hand I had was that the order was ready and the payment was cancelled. I had nothing to lose. You might not be that lucky. i would not say that i don't recommend DELL, their products are great... they're just not bothered about the customers.

sad it was such a hassle, but dude, you got a Dell !what do you mean "reformat", are you able to install clean OS with dell's CDs?

Thanks @uthfull, Which configuration did you order?. Could you please share the details?My friend was almost about to order Dell T7250, when I saw your post. I shared it with him and he is in dilemma whether to go ahead or not. The issue in India is that only dell will give you option to pick and choose. All others have only prepacked models which you may or maynot like. We have done a research on different models and found that we dont have much choices. The basic assembly which we were looking was Pentium core 2 duo, T7000 series, 2GB Ram, 160+ GM HDD @ 7200 RPM, and a GPU with atleast 256MB dedicated memory. Budget was around 65K max. sadly, there is no other option in India than Dell, which clearly mentioned in their site that the delivery will take 4 - 6 weeks. Sony is very good in looks and performance but a configuration of above mentioned spec will easily drain you by 90K. HP is a good option but do not have good GPUs listed in any models.(My friend is saying that HP has come up with some new models, need to check.). Compaq is being killed by HP and only have lower end notebooks. Acer also sells lower end notebooks in India. Thoshiba is very expensive and Lenovo is --- you know chinese make. If only dell could open a store in India.I am also planning to buy a laptop, but only by Jan. Hope HP will have some new models in my budget by then.In some reviews I saw that NVIDIA 8600M-GT is not very good. Any suggestions on a good GPU for notebooks? I am planning for 2GB, P-Core 2 Duo T7k series with 250GB HDD and a good GPU.

Back