Loopback causing blacklisted ont

• Thread starter Thread starter orrville
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 12,342
oh, if you have ssh, do you have full access to the router? i have looked a bit at the firmware and it appears the mac addresses are set by /etc/runoam.sh during boot. it gets the addresses from nv memory (some mtd partition). it reads mac address by cmd "flash get ELAN_MAC_ADDR". the best thing to temporarily set mac may be to copy commands from runoam.sh except the last line (which executes the cmd) and type "echo $exeCmd" which will display the command which would be executed to set the mac addr. in that change to your desired mac.

Stupid as I am, while looking for solutions, I upgraded the firmware found at https://bharatfibre.bsnl.co.in/ontvendor.html.
Now, I have lost ssh/telnet access and the settings to turn it on does not stick from the UI.
It also now has made pon turn green and blinking, so still unable to dial pppoe from EPON directly as well.

you could try saving the config, editing it to enable ssh/telnet and trying to restore that edited config. i think the entries are : Value names - "sshd", "telnet"; Value should be 2 for enabling (I think. I don't have this device, so guessing from other values) you could also check if it has mac address/serial/loid entries; i don't think it'll have it from what i see in the firmware, but you could get lucky.

just a reminder - with ssh and nv and flash get, it's getting pretty down in the weeds and it's very easy to brick device at this level. you should probably note down mac/serial etc numbers, have a full good config backup and even backup the whole of flash (/dev/mtdblock0 using nc as in comments here) once you have ssh again

Got connection via telnet enabled, but cannot star sh after that. It shows only basic outer commands like status config etc
I wish there is some firmware that allows Mac update via UI.

@orrville This is a generic xPON ONT. Often brands like DBC, Netlink re-brand those and sell for a higher price. I bought two units off Amazon for 1200 each, and one unit failed after one year. The second units seems to run fine with RX power threshold upto -32dBm.

They seem to have a page to change SN, but never tested it.

9lYck6P.png

Before you go on purchasing devices,

Just get your ONT SN unblocked from LCO, and configure your router settings properly. Preferably start from scratch.
Keep in mind, not to untag or tag any vlans other than the BSNL input vlan. Also, don't bridge interfaces LAN/WAN (i don't think TP-Link firmwares have this option)

Thanks @jayanta525 pardon my ignorance, but what is SN? Is it not the same as MAC. I was told by LCO that MAC is getting blacklisted.

Yes, getting it unblocked is the priority, but it has not happened for last 3 days, so looking for backup plan which will be cheap like revo xpon. The OLT is controlled by the BSNL guys, and seems they don’t attend to LCO request easily.

What is the model number of your DBC?

@orrville SN and MAC are completely different. If your ONT is loosing connection and red light keeps blinking, even though its in bridge mode, then OLT is blocking your ONT SN. The OLT can't terminate your connection, but it will block you from registering in future.

Which is when, after reboot your ONT fails to register itself with the OLT as its SN is blacklisted.

Had it been your MAC address, you'd be blocked from PPPoE authentication, which has an easy way around. And PPPoE authentication is at the BSNL servers, for which to unblock you'll have to contact SDO or whomsoever.

EDIT: Just checked, PON also seem to have an MAC address (for EPON only????), which seems to be blocked in your case.

GNnGkeX.png

0Dx7Unb.png

Last edited:

Back