MTNL Broadband: Internet getting disconnected for 1 minute every few hours?

• Thread starter Thread starter nevillek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 169
  • Views Views 33,522

nevillek

Regular
ISP
MTNL Triband/Hathway
I have a 1MBPS DSL connection with DNA 1051 ADSL2+ CPE modem with Power,ADSL,Internet and LAN green lights. I have both DNS addresses added in Network connections too. The Internet works perfectly with the right speed etc. all day.

However, every now and then (3-4 hours) it gets disconnected for like a minute or two and then comes back. This terribly interrupts my games because I get disconnected from that website's server while playing and then reconnected after a minute or so. This is extremely frustrating and unacceptable.

When the internet gets disconnected, the IP address ping shows "request timed out" and I acquire a new IP address after reconnection. However, of late, the IP address ping has been just fine, still the net disconnects for a minute or two. The Internet and LAN light is always blinking once every 5-10 seconds (which it should not, according to the MTNL helpline people) whereas the Power/DSL light are always stable.

1) I contacted 1504 several times and everytime they say they have logged a complaint and it should be fine.

2) I contacted my lineman several times and everytime he says it could be a line fault and will get rectified in a day. He says to place a complaint on 198, which I have done atleast 10 times with no results. He says he will visit my place but has never showed up but twice. Now when I call him, he says he has checked it and the connection shows fine at their end. But still says he will check again and come to my place etc. but he never shows up. The same story repeats every week without any improvement to my connection and without him ever showing up at my place.

3) I seeked help from broadband forums and people are suggesting that it may be a line fault OR some instrument interfering in my phone line connection. So I also removed my main phone wire from the ADSL SPLITTER (small box) so that it only has my ADSL wire for the Internet but that did not change anything either.

I have my Internet since November 2010, and at first, this disconnection was only happening at 8am and 1pm everyday but now its almost every 3-4 hours, sometimes even more often.

The MTNL people seem extremely reluctant to come to my house and help me with this. So is my only option to give up on MTNL and opt for a new ISP's Internet?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : Ok I just read in another post and realized that MTNL refreshes IP every 6 hours and this may be causing this problem. I checked my session logs (screenshot posted below) and the max session is 06:00:00 hrs while some are as short as a few minutes or 2-3 hours. Is there any solution to this, besides changing to a new service provider? Because I cannot afford such interruption in some operations even if it is for a minute every 6 hours.

http://img703.imageshack.us/i/97564456.png/

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin
:
36.0 36.0db

Line Attenuation
:
33.0 18.8 db

Data Rate
:
1159 253 kbps

CRC
:
1 0

Contact the GM/DGM of your exchange if there is no response, contact GM/DGM (broadband) about your problem.

Contact the GM/DGM of your exchange if there is no response, contact GM/DGM (broadband) about your problem.

Did you read the last part in bold? Isn't this a standard policy of refreshing IPs?

Did you read the last part in bold? Isn't this a standard policy of refreshing IPs?

I did read the part in bold & hence my answer. Lots of people have experienced this 6 hrs restart but you have also stated that you have faced DC of a smaller durations so one cannot be sure of your specific cause.
Whether its official policy or not, its best to ask a senior level person in MTNL & since your efforts of solving your problem thru the linesman/1504 has failed, its now time to move up the MTNL hierarchy. That is why the above answer.

The operator just called me to ask if the complaint has been resolved. When I said no, she's given me some number of the DGM to contact so I guess I'll do that too.But also, even if this is another problem, I want the 6 hours disconnect to not be there as well. I just can't work with that 6 hour disconnect problem.So will speaking to the DGM really help? P.S. I edited my OP and have added the attenuation, snr, etc. Are they normal?Thanks for the help.

Your SNR Margin looks good but attenuation could be lower. AND you have crc errors which could lead to slower browsing & corrupted downloads. You should mention this to the person you are going to talk to also that you cannot afford to have these DC even the 6 hrs one (give reasons) :)

Your SNR Margin looks good but attenuation could be lower. AND you have crc errors which could lead to slower browsing & corrupted downloads. You should mention this to the person you are going to talk to also that you cannot afford to have these DC even the 6 hrs one (give reasons) :)

Ok I just restarted my modem and now the CRC is 0. But the line attenuation is still 34.8 and 18.8. The net is working fine right now.

Regarding the 6 hrs disconnect, isn't it 100% of the MTNL users who face this? I mean, there is going to be NO SOLUTION to that right?

same problem yesterday... disconnecting every minute

Jesus christ.....now since an hour I am getting disconnected every 5-10 minutes from my game server and getting reconnected in 10 seconds.....Also the IP ping is just fine...what am I supposed to do??

Last night was really bad. I was chatting with friends in different parts of Mumbai & we all had DC at the same time :O so it seems to be a major FU. In fact one of my friends remembered the old 'April Problems' :iomg: we has some years ago

Back