Railways starts new portal for online ticket booking, gets good response

Now working fine..

Yes working fine..but still havent received SMS for activation :D

----------

Finally got SMS code. Site uses too much AJAX! But still its good. Well planned and gives good amount of info (even map!)

So my next booking wud possibly using this site!

It has been showing stopped since about a week if I remember correctly. When I saw it I assumed it was a downtime of a few hours.

Is this going to be somewhat similar to Twitter several years ago where it used to go down as often as it was up?

----------

Amazingly, if you had booked a ticket in this new portal back when it was up and hadn't saved the e-ticket/electronic reservation slip, you cannot print the actual ticket now. You can print the email or SMS and hope that the TTE will be fine with it.

With an IRCTC e-ticket, the rule is that if you don't show the e-ticket to the TTE for any reason, the TTE can verify you from the ID proof and then charge you Rs 50 for not showing the ticket. Without ID on an e-ticket you are a ticketless passenger. I don't know if all TTEs know about this and if the same is true with the new portal too.

If the TTE is not fine with just the printout of an email or SMS and treats you as a ticketless passenger, things can get pretty interesting. You'll probably have to pay full fare again in the train (hopefully you'll have the amount); after the journey you can either go the TDR route or complain to the ticketing managers in a major station you're nearest to to get back the extra money you paid. If you go by the TDR route, you'll probably be able to get at least half of the money back /if/ you are able to file a TDR. A TDR for an e-ticket can only be filed online from the portal you booked.

Now Lalu Prasad will say, "see what Mamta did?"

And Mamta dee would say that it happened after I left the ministry. Or maybe not assuming that the ministry is still owned by her party.

Back