Setting up WRG614 wifi router with bsnl broadband?

• Thread starter Thread starter JiGGz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 16,589
I have a perfectly working MTNL Triband connection with the same Netgear Router that you have.

InternetD-Link 502T(10.10.30.1)(10.10.30.2)Netgear WGR614(192.168.5.1)PC through LAN & Laptop through WiFi. My PPPoE dialing happens through Netgear & it also acts as the DHCP Server.

well, lucky you! :)

i tried everything but in vain! :(

As already pointed by someone else, the ipconfig output shows a different DNS Server than the one you have set manually in the TCP/IP settings of your LAN card.

thats coz i took images at different times. now it is all set to obtain automatically.. still wont help!

finally, i have managed a workaround as of now...

i disabled the DHCP server in netgear and have assigned ip to my pc and laptop. also connected bsnl modem to one of the switch ports (earlier it was con to the main WAN port, beside the antenna). basically made it into just an access point.

so, now, control is back to bsnl modem. it acts as default gateway instead of the router. but few problems:

Now i have to connect manually to net i.e. as it was before.. dial the pppoe connection manually. netgear wont auto connect as bsnl modem is now conn to switch port. this means i cant share my net connection across my pc and lap simultaneously... only 1 can access at a time! :wall:

that also means that my n95 cant connect to dataone over wifi as it cant basically dial a pppoe connection!

please help me get everything back to normal!!! i want the netgear to be the dhcp server, it should dial automatically and allow simultaneous net access to all my devices! how do i do that? no solution elsewhere on the net too! :(

Is your modem in pure bridged mode?

use opn dns values in router and restart modem ,router and try
also use open dns values in pc and laptop

doesnt work...

make modem in PPPoe Mode and try

i didnt find any such option... but bridge mode will only allow router-modem connection, right?

@JiGGz

Actually i posted a reply in the evening.. during that time power went off.. that was not updated here !!

Dont lose heart.. let us make it !

After reading everything, i have a doubt !!
In your screen-shot, am seeing always DNS as 4.2.x.x

Have you got a different DNS after giving it opendns or other DNS (Not thru automatic)

If not, just see whether anywhere it is mentioned that 4.2.x.x ! According to me, that is the culprit !

and someone said, 10.0.0.x and 192.168.1.x will have difference. According to me, it doesn't have anything to do as both are private IP address !

so please type ipconfig/all and see whether dns is changed (after giving it statically in router (preferably opendns))

Will make it work !! nothing big i guess !!

@JiGGz

Actually i posted a reply in the evening.. during that time power went off.. that was not updated here !!

Dont lose heart.. let us make it !

After reading everything, i have a doubt !!
In your screen-shot, am seeing always DNS as 4.2.x.x

Have you got a different DNS after giving it opendns or other DNS (Not thru automatic)

If not, just see whether anywhere it is mentioned that 4.2.x.x ! According to me, that is the culprit !

and someone said, 10.0.0.x and 192.168.1.x will have difference. According to me, it doesn't have anything to do as both are private IP address !

so please type ipconfig/all and see whether dns is changed (after giving it statically in router (preferably opendns))

Will make it work !! nothing big i guess !!

Thanks man!

I know its not that a big deal.. i've got 90% of it right, but that 10% remaining is the fault :redface:

the dns as yu see i.e. 4.2.x.x in 2 screenshots was just there in the screenshots... later i tried even this:

pc set to obtain dns auto
lap set to obtain dns auto - - - (ur doubts cleared here)

Netgear given dns manually.. i.e. bsnl dns (61.1.96.69 & 61.1.96.71)

so whenever pc or lap connect via netgear, they would get the dns given to netgear.. hence no clash! but still it didnt work!

btw, i have tried method as of now and it is working (as told yesterday) making the router just as access point for wifi... but this is temporary jugaad! :)

1> First reset the BSNL Modem, configure it (go to http://192.168.1.1/) to what was said by the BSNL Customer Associate. Like PPPOE, Your username,
password. etc... check this from the bsnl service provider.. Please note this should be done without connecting the netgear router..
2> Check whether your internet is connecting (you need not do this if it is already working perfect and you have not changed anything on the bsnl modem)
2> remove the bsnl modem change your network settings IP of your machine to obtain automatically and now connect netgear your pc, wihout connecting bsnl modem.
Now your routing address (url: http://192.168.1.1/start.htm) changes to netgears router address. Say configure manually.
3> Now change DHCP Server to Disabled.
4> Change the lan address : 192.168.1.10 (or anything other than normal bsnl modem's address i.e not 192.168.1.1).
5> once you have done this you may see cannot find server page..this is because you have changed the routing address.
7> Now go to network settings manually create an ip address for your machine..
ip: 192.168.1.34
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.10

Please keep the primary and secondry dns blank.

6> now connect again to http://192.168.1.10/start.htm. Now you may use this for confguring the Wireless lan settings and other settings.
7> Now the configuration of your router is done.
8> now remove all the connections from PC we may start from begining.
9> first connect BSNL modem's output line to the netgears any of the switch port(and note the wan port).
10> once you are done take out one more cable and connect your pC and the netgear router. (So now you may have connected two cables to the netgear router.).
11> Please change the network settings ip address of the pc to :
ip: 192.168.1.34
subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (please note this is important you are now connected to bsnl routing)
Now primary dns and secondry dns keep the same as the bsnl (p: 61.1.96.69 s: 61.1.96.71).
Now switch on the routers and wait till it connects..
now open Internet Explorer try connecting to the internet.

the whole concept behind this is generally you netgear and bsnl routers' default lan ip is 192.168.1.1, among this one have to be changed and DHCP has to be

switched off, then manually you need to configure the ip of the machine.. when you add more machines please note that you give different ips but rest all

configurations are same.

You can find little details here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files...

Now the second way(not recommended) is:

Reset the BSNL router and configure the netgear router manually that is from http://192.168.1.1/start.htm wihout connecting the bsnl router, and also change

the lan ip as said before. switch of DHCP. Configure the same way as the bsnl is configured.

my question is, do we have our answer here? means was it the clashing ip's that prevented use? but i did change router ip and range to 10.0.0.x.. then too nothing worked! or should they be in same range?

as of this moment,

bsnl modem ip: 192.168.1.1 - - - default gateway for both lan cards
netgear ip: 192.168.1.100 - - - access point
pc and lap: 192.168.1.102, 103 and so on.... manually given
dns: 61.1.96.69 & 61.1.96.71 --- manually given

should i try these settings again with router as default gateway?

@JiGGz

I never thought a Modem in between. i thought ur router itself had the ADSL port as many new routers has !

Yeah.. answer is there in the above one !

Let me try to make it simple ! (hope it will not make you more troublesome)

Hope you can login to Modem without Netgear with 192.168.1.1 !!

browse modem pages for various options.. just check whether dhcp is enabled. disable DHCP in modem !! (that is thru connecting pc and modem ONLY thru ethernet cable/avoid usb) !

Restart it. and it wont give an IP to PC.. either you can put one temporarily or avoid it since we are not going to use modem directly to PC

Now .. Connect PC to router (any other port other than wan) by 192.168.1.1

Make sure Modem is not connected

change the ip address of Router to 192.168.1.10 with subnet 255.255.255.0 (make sure both IP should be of same range. You cant put 10.0.0.x and gateway as 192.168.1.1)

Lets put 192.168.1.10 (ip for the netgear)
255.255.255.0 (subnet)
192.168.1.1 (gateway )

Let DHCP be enabled in Router ! (otherwise you gotta give ip for pc's seperately)

So that your router wont get IP dynamically from so called bsnl modem !

In DNS, you allow to get DNS automatically !

Now .. restart the modem/router .. and connect modem => router =>PC

and check it !! should be working ! :)

Note: If you are not getting DNS in pc's, Disable automatic DNS in modem, and give the OPEN DNS values in modem and router ! (just trial n error)

Now .. Connect PC to router (any other port other than wan) by 192.168.1.1

i didnt get this.. shud i connect bsnl modem to wan port of router or 1 of the 4 switch ports?

Make sure Modem is not connected

change the ip address of Router to 192.168.1.10 with subnet 255.255.255.0 (make sure both IP should be of same range. You cant put 10.0.0.x and gateway as 192.168.1.1)

Lets put 192.168.1.10 (ip for the Netgear)
255.255.255.0 (subnet)
192.168.1.1 (gateway )

how do i assign a gateway ip to the netgear router? pls give more details.

Thank you :)

Back