Should I separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ? Or keep it combined ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Crane
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 1,874
ISP
Airtel Airfiber 40mbps plan ,WiFi only plan
I have an Airtel Airfiber 40 MBPS connection and it’s running on the default settings since its installation and i have only changed the password. I was Thinking to separate both the bands as 5ghz is more wider in Wifi 6 router given by Airtel

Is it worth the hassle to separate both of them?

interesting ,i have changed the password hm
im thinking to reset then
who doesnt like some extra mbps yk
lol

Upvote 0
Broad channels like 40Mhz on 2.4 and 160 on 5/6Ghz are only useful if you have absolutely no interference and congestion from other people's Wi-Fi and your own devices (like smart homes stuffs).

These increase total bandwidth throughput, but does not improve performance in terms of packet delivery, latency and jitter in any way. (Considering, you do not have a billion devices connected to download/upload at peak simultaneously)

Looking at this, you'd laugh since in enterprise we stick to 20mhz for 2.4, 40mhz for 5 and 80+80 (most cases just 80) on 6ghz.

Although, I'm not informed of what this “smart connect” feature is on Airtel provided Wi-Fi but knowing it is ISP provided then it probably very basic in terms of configuration.

Upvote 0
@Crane
In my home, I've set up 2 routers to use the same name on both the 2.4Ghz ans 5Ghz bands. I found that current devices are extremely good at figuring out which band to choose when.
I have Smart Connect turned off though.

One downside is that, you will not be able to easily identify which band the device connects to.

Whatever @Lolita_Magnum said is true tho. You're never gonna get more than 100Mbps realistically on 2.4Ghz.
Every body recommends using 2.4Ghz on 20Mhz because of it's sensitivity to interference.

Upvote 0
Update on this
i separated the two

and the coverage seems to have increased drastically on first impressions, not sure how that works tho (i will update in a few days about the coverage thing)

and lastly load times have reduced when connected on 5ghz ,almost feels like a 100mbps LCO connection (maybe due to the wide channel width and airtel's DNS servers)

Upvote 0

Back