Star Cricket HD showing promos in between overs :(

• Thread starter Thread starter Pratyush
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 148
  • Views Views 13,074
Mate i think you did not get the idea. The Sky site clearly states that first you subscribe to the SD feed(12GBP for ESPN and ESPN America) and then you upgrade to the HD feed(10.25GBP for 50 channels upgraded to HD Feed provided you are running the SD subscription for that channel. Please note the double star). So effectively you are paying 22.25GBP for HD feed of 2 channels. Please read through again. I am NOT bringing hypothetical calculations in just to prove my point. I respect your being dejected to see ads after you spend a hefty amount and I am on your side with that. Also with the pre and post match shows should be there. No denying that too. I am just trying to say that I can only crib to an extent. If a feed is showing ads, I cant sit and crib about such a trivial issue.

I am talking about Cricket. Thats shown on Sky Sports/Sky Sports HD, and not on ESPN HD. Dont rope in the costlier options, to prove ur point.

Shell out GBP 53.25 for more than atleast 100 channels, half of which are HD. (Check out the Sky World Pack) That comes close to say 4000 pm. Still, if u divide that by 105 or 110, the per channel cost comes down to less than Rs.40. Now after spending this amount, they can watch all their channels with very few ads. Their SD channels too have lesser ads than our HD channels.

Here after spending 44 per month, i am still bombarded with ads, and few other useful stuff is removed. Whereas there, its less than 40 per month, with minimal possible ads, and more importantly they dont reduce the utility of the feed.

Happy? I made UR TYPE OF COMPARISON - taking all channels together.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, u do realise that we are comparing broadcasters here & not DTH costs?

U might argue that DTH prices are dependent upon what broadcasters charge........So here it goes:

When Sky Sports (1/2/3/4) SD is purchased, u get Sky Sports HD for such low add-on prices. But when Star Cricket SD is purchased, u still have to pay an astronomical amount to buy Star Cricket HD. That clearly shows that how consumer friendly is Sky Sports & how money hungry is Star Cricket.

Also, I am repeating this thing again - Star Cricket HD reduces my utility in viewing:

(+) Better picture,

(-) Pre match discussion,
(-) Toss
(-) Pitch report
(-) Lunch time talk
(-) Post match analysis

U safely chose to ignore this.

This is india man...it will be like this only....here most things wont be consumer friendly...rather in european and US the market is way that its benefits both the consumer and organisation.....in india only 1 mantra loot when it shines....

Thats the only thing i am looking to prove. Even after extorting money from us, they throw in ads, and also reduce the utility of viewing.

I can atleast tolerate ESS broadcast...Oh Man Ten Sports and Neo Sports Cricket coverage makes us cry....literally many times i cried with in my self looking at the way we watch....I still remember watching Test Matches during India's Tour of WI telecasted by Ten Cricket...a wicket fall the next milli second they deliver ads...the batsman would not have turned back to return to the pavilion...they deliver the ads...this happened in SD telecast....i cried to my self...its just a pain after paying Rs. 30 for that particular channel and telecastign like this....

----------

Thats the only thing i am looking to prove. Even after extorting money from us, they throw in ads, and also reduce the utility of viewing.

If the production cost is high why the hell are they buying the rights....they should rather minimse their ads and increase the price to the advertiser to double or triple....for sure it will reach to the audience....if they deliver 1 ad / over for sure none of the customer will change the channels for most of the time...the ads will also reach at fullest level to the customers...

Yes, i actually was able to tolerate the SD broadcast of ESS. Atleast we didnt miss the 1st ball of an over. And we got the other things i listed out. But in the broadcast on HD the other day, i clearly remember missing out on 1st ball on atleast 3-4 different instances.And i told that particular point to Rajiv too....if production cost is that high, then better not take up that project.

Oh man Jaymin. Please try and understand a few ads will not do any harm. Of course I am with you on the pre and post match shows point(please do read my posts) and the idea i was only trying to drive with my math(mine is pretty poor, i accept) was that they do shell more money than us. you aint spending 4000 bucks per month and neither can a general Indian afford that kind of doe per month. So how do you expect to get the at par services with the UK folks eh? This is like saying I want everything according to my budget. How in the world is that possible dude?

----------

I suppose paying premium for ad-free broadcast maybe a solution. But I am not sure how many of us would go for it in any case?

you aint spending 4000 bucks per month and neither can a general Indian afford that kind of doe per month. So how do you expect to get the at par services with the UK folks eh? This is like saying I want everything according to my budget.

Yes, and thats why, i dont complain when a Star Gold shows me a 3 hour movie in 4 & a half hours.
I dont complain when Star Plus shows me Avatar in 3.5 hours, in place of 2.5 hours.
I dont complain much when Aaj Tak shows me atleast 20-25 minutes of ads, in a bulletin of 1 hour.

But , But BUT.......WHEN I PAY MONEY AT PAR WITH PRICES OUTSIDE INDIA, I XPECT SERVICES TO BE OF THAT LEVEL. So as a corollary, if i pay more than World Prices, i xpect EVEN BETTER Service level than whats being offered in the other parts of the world.

If UK people pay 35-37 Rs per channel and allow few ads to be thrown in, i in India, wud expect ZERO ADS, when i pay Rs.44 per month.

In fact, why do we need to take UK's example.....just take the case of Asli HD pack. In D2h we pay Rs.61 per month and get 4 channels. Is till give u some discount that Star World HD is irrelevant for me. So effectively, i spend Rs.61 pm for 3 channels, that comes to around 20.33 pm per channel.

And what utility they add to the original SD channels?

Completely Ad free
Very few Promos - but these too are more helpful, to know the show/movie timings. So actually theres absolutely no complaining in this aspect too.
"Movie in Focus" on Star Movies HD & "Song Fillers" on the other Hindi channels
Not to mention the amazing Audio & Video quality.

So basically you are trying to say that if I spend 15k for 5 nights at a three-star hotel. I should be should be getting 3-star services and similarly if I pay 15k for 15 nights in a standard hotel, I still feel myself fit to receive 3-star services just because i have paid a premium amount which is the same? You pay 1/8th of the amount at max for any platinum pack of an indian DTH dude. You still see no point?

U show me with quotes, when did i say that. I again tell u - SHOW ME WITH QUOTES.

oh man. I am sorry If I have angered you by any chance. Lets not get into complex mathematics right now.Let me try and make it simple. You pay 500 bucks(for those platinum HD or some shit like that), UK folks pay 4000. U get 12HD channels they get 50. You get ads in live telecasts, they enjoy it ad-free. You are the judge.

Back