• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 7,094

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
ISP
Reliance Wired Line
Hi friends, i am facing a wierd issue with Internet in Win XP SP3.

I can browse the internet properly. But i cant update my NAV, i am not able to use a VOIP Software named VOIP Stunt. Neither is torrents working.

I am not able to makeout whats wrong......browsing is ok, but the apps arent connecting to the net!

----------

C'mon.....anyone?

When shit is bound to happen, it will happen. No matter if you are using NAV or Kaspersky.Don't forget the sites you visit and the source of your downloads, and do you install system updates?Antivirus alone cannot protect you from trillions of threats out there.Don't be in a hurry to format Windows, you have grub installed so you better do a bit of research to prevent further mess.

i have not seen any major cases of virus attack anywhere in the recent months :P i am not sure what you did with your windows to mess it up so bad :D and please... start using windows in guest mode if you do not want it to get messed up so frequently.

Hi friends, i am facing a wierd issue with Internet in Win XP SP3.

I can browse the internet properly. But i cant update my NAV, i am not able to use a VOIP Software named VOIP Stunt. Neither is torrents working.

I am not able to makeout whats wrong......browsing is ok, but the apps arent connecting to the net!

----------

C'mon.....anyone?

Change your OS!! :P.

I have called up my engineer. he will be coming tomorrow & check whats the issue. And yes, i will use that Guest mode only, coz i will use it for 3 things only - Updating Antivirus, VOIP & Backing up phone data.Regarding updates......i install only AV updates regularly, But thats what i have been doing since years.@ Admin.....Hah, i open Win only once in 10 - 15 days, that too just for the purposes i mentioned above. I dont think these things can mess up an entire OS!! Anyways lets see what the engineer has to tell me!

I think the HDD was faulty since long, and it was somehow carrying forward.

Today when the engineer came, he also was completely puzzled on seeing the situation Windows was in. Even if someone r***s Windows, it cant get this bad!! (He didnt say that, but the look on his face said that!)

When he finally started to format, first he tried with Windows 7. The Drive C got formatted, but then when installation started, it gave some error that installation cud not proceed.

Then he tried XP. He again formatted that partition to be safe. That formatting took 45 minutes. And after that, when Windows restarted to carry on with install, it gave a Blue Screen of Death twice. In short even XP didnt install on that partition.

So finally he said that its better we format the whole HDD......for that i had to take a backup of all my data, without any sort of Working OS on my PC!! Coz Windows had already dozed off, and even Grub didnt appear, so no Mint either.

I had to download the whole OS from the other PC, & make a Live session out of it. While that happened i got an External HDD, which was already due.

In short, data is getting backed up now, and tomorrow the thorough formatting will take place hopefully!

----------

Oh & 1 more thing. I wanted to try out Mint 11 since long......but i didnt expect i will be running it in this manner!!

jeeez, all you had too was too remove all AV's from system, esp that crap called NAV [ do ppl still use it ] , run ccleaner and clean registry, then right click on c-properties - tools- run disk check. most likely bad sectors in hdd ,keep a copy of Hiren's Boot CD for such cases. as for net NAV is known for screwing up systems, really it is one of the worst software ever , remove it and don't ever use it. you could have easily gone into system tools- event viewer, and looked at errors reports there. as system is like a horse or a car , take care of it or you will never know when it dies on you.

Back