• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 2,860

Skeeter

I got banned!
ISP
ARTL - AS24560
EXTL - AS133982
I am on Airtel's 1Gig plan. I get perfectly fine speeds(900-940Mbps) via wired connection between my macbook and router.
I had Airtel's ZTE, Nokia, Sercomm, Dasan, ZyXEL, GX and speeds on my macbook and iPad feels to be capped at around 220-240Mbps while testing on Ookla speedtest macOS and iPadOS apps as well as Ookla's website. (ON WiFi)

Initially I thought its router issue, but I have used almost all routers Airtel is giving out, all of them used to have this issue.
But but, speeds on nperf, openspeedtest, fast.com, ultra.cc speedtest, wifiman, speedsmart.net, speedtest.net.in, cloudflare speedtest all show 900+ on wired, which is good, and 400+ on WiFi.

But then my question is, why Ookla does not show proper speeds on wifi?
I have tried different servers, of numerous cities and countries, the issue remains.

But, I have Huawei HG8145v5, and speeds on it through WiFi on Ookla hits 500-600Mbps. How come Huawei ONT is giving proper speeds over wifi on Ookla?

Like I am not able to understand the difference between all other ONTs and Huawei. As speeds on various speedtest platforms of all routers are same, then why there is difference only and only on Ookla?

I have tried bridging all ONTs and use TP-Link Archer C6 and Archer A6, but issue remains the same.

Only huawei ONT is showing proper speeds on Ookla. Why is it so?

Try different browsers? And also try incognito/private windows when visiting Ookla speedtest.net ?

I tried different browsers, all chromium based, firefox, safari.
I am sure there is something like port exposing or stuff but I dont know much about it.

@Skeeter If you connect 5GHZ Band with your Mobile/Laptop/PC Application, You can see Speed it is retrieving from Wi-Fi > (Name) > Information
This way, You can see how much / MBPS is getting connected from router to your Application. If it shows like this 400/400 MBPS that means it can only receive maximum 400 MBPS in that application.

Ethernet Cable are directly connected from Router to Application (1GBPS) which is able to get you above 900+ MBPS speed depend on your plan so i think it's only show that your Router is not that much good. It is only able to transmit maximum 400 - 500 MBPS speed through 5GHZ Band.

Mine is 700 MBPS and Plan is 300 MBPS. In the speed test, It is showing 500 MBPS - 350 MBPS Stable (BSNL)

Last edited by a moderator:
bruh, then why the heck I am getting over 500Mbps on other speedtest flatforms. Please read what I wrote properly.

@Skeeter That's what i'm saying bro. Different ONT got Different Bandwidth in there Bands. That's why you are getting over 500MBPS+ by using Huawei HG8145v5
Wired is connection of 1GBPS that's why you are getting proper 900MBPS+ whereas That is not same for Wireless. Wireless can't reach above 800MBPS or depend on your Router strength too. That's why i said to checkout your Device info. while connected to Wi-Fi not through Ethernet Cable (Lan/Wired)

@Skeeter Also, Ookla got more than 1000+ servers and each - every server will show you different speed when you change it. Speed also depend on Server to Server connection through your ISP to Other server (which you are testing) that's why you can see difference in Ookla and other platforms too

Listen. What I am trying to say, using Huawei, I get better speeds on Ookla. Using ZyXEL/GX/Nokia/ZTE I get 220-240Mbps capped on Ookla on the same servers I was doing tests on Huawei. But I get 500+ using other ONTs on other platforms. So router is not the bottleneck. It is something within Huawei which is not in other routers. There has to be something.

How did you manage to get all the airtel onts? Here there is no stock at all.
Morever, I had similar weird experience with airtel Nokia . wifi speeds were poor . specially downloads on bridge mode. Now i Got a TP-Link c6 bridged with sercom ont. Sercom ont can push 500+ on uploads downloads but on bridge mode getting some random speeds like 300/600 200/500 etc. I can understand your plight. Even I dont understand whtats wrong

Actually port 8080 is blocked on other ONTs and it is open on Huawei, thats why huawei is getting proper multithreaded speeds while other onts are not. Now I have to check how to open port.

Back