Weird Ookla Issue. Please read!

• Thread starter Thread starter Skeeter
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 2,860
Get TP-Link xz000-g7 ont and replace the airtel one. (Only change if local OLT supports this tplink ont)

all problems will be solved

dont all olts support g7? @Rickysin
Yes @rajat_ have about 18 IOT devices , 16 IP cameras + always 30-35 clients on Deco mesh but never faced problem on a 300 mbps connection, it just depends on your hardware .
Also has anyone idea how to configure SFP SC with airtel???

How can a dumb gigabit ONU bring difference in speeds? It will only act as media convertor(optical to electrical).
This is pure hallucination.

Forget Ookla or any other speedtest application. Are you getting full speeds while downloading games or torrents? If yes, there's nothing to worry about.
This line

@droidrex speed is same with both ONT’s let it be TP-Link or Nokia.

tplink ont is just working in bridge mode and has no other features at all.

nokia on other hand is having full fledged features like pppoe or dynamic or static link connection. NAT, routing, voip, ip assignments, dmz, and other load of things.

so nokia ont will be using high cpu and memory resources resulting in lower performance than tplink ont

so using own good router with media converter ONU is wiser choice.

see @droidrex I also use the same setup as @Rickysin and I can see the speeds and ping are very constant now compared to my previous Nokia ont. When using nokia it used to get hot the speed fluctuated a lot even though it was in bridge mode.
It is definitely a wiser choice to remove airtel ont and use your own if you want to use what you paid for .\
But at last most people will never notice these fluctuations, It all depends at last what do you want.
Also it saves a lot of space if it is a premium for you.

Last edited:
there are cases where some airtel ONTs exhibit variable frequency on ethernet ports of the router, so even if its in bridge mode , the LAN port might be having low frequency hence speed fluctuation is there.

there is a rare chance that your local OLT is saturated but again this is very rare to none in airtel case.

Back