Weird Ookla Issue. Please read!

• Thread starter Thread starter Skeeter
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 2,860
2019 wala hai mere pass.

it might be that the ONT's have malfunctioned. same thing happened to me on Nokia ONT after using it for 3 years, my download speed never went above 200 mbps and upload speed hovered between 100-120 mbps on 200 mbps connection.

so airtel changed the ont to another nokia one and issue was solved.

How come all ont have malfunctioned at the same time. I'm having exact same issue except that I get slightly higher speed than Op but still same. I have bridged sercom ont with TP-Link c6 v4

bro dont you get it? If ONTs are abused, then why tf it is able to give proper speeds on other speed testing platforms?

Forget Ookla or any other speedtest application. Are you getting full speeds while downloading games or torrents? If yes, there's nothing to worry about. Ookla speedtests are misleading most of the time. If you are getting good speeds(500-800 Mbps) where you actually need like downloading/uploading heavy files then there's nothing wrong with your connection. Steam and epic games servers utilize multi threaded download speeds.
Also, don't rely on ISP provided ONT routers, they are not capable of handling a gigabit connection due to weak CPU which is a huge bottle neck. Forget about gigabit, it can't even handle a 200 Mbps connection properly with 10+ devices connected. Remember that your ONT is not a router alone, it is a all in one device which handles PPPoE authentication, converting optical signals to Copper/Wireless, gigabit switch, handling wired/wireless clients, NAT etc. ISPs import it from china for very cheap in order to cut costs because of obvious reasons.
Put your ONT in bridge mode and use a high end WiFi 6 router like Archer AX73 or Asus AX5400 if you have a real use case of a gigabit connection and want to fully utilize it.
If you have opted for a gigabit connection just to perform ookla and other speedtests then you will obviously be disappointed. The only way you can fully utilize a residential gigabit connection is if you have a very internet heavy house with a lot of IoT devices and 25-30+ clients simultaneously streaming and downloading. Frankly, this is very rare and I still feel a gigabit connection is an overkill even for such a use case because most servers are very optimized nowadays and you can stream netflix in 4K with just a 15 Mbps connection, for reference. Netflix Bandwidth requirements. I am sure YT and other OTTs can be easily streamed in 4K with a similar speed.
Modern routers come with technologies such as OFDMA and client scheduling which further optimizes bandwidth utilisation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you. I will roll back to Raspberry Pi setup with OpenWrt. It handles speeds QoS properly. The only drawback is, I have to use a switch, an Access Point additionally. I have all the stuff but all these stuff running 24*7 consumes a lot of power.

Back