ACT broadband in Chennai

Johns Mangattu said:
I would like to take ACT broadband connection. I stay at Kandanchavadi, Chennai - 1 km from Taramani. Can I get an act broadband connection? ACT customer care told me in January that ACT will be available in my area by March.
Address
Lake View Apartments, Anna Nedun Salai, Kandanchavadi, Perungudi.
There are some 4 -5 apartments waiting for ACT connection since January.
I stay around that area, too; and when I called ACT, I was informed it will take sometime yet for them to offer internet services.
Stuck with Airtel till then. FML.

Does anyone here have a router that has a traffic meter? Is there a major difference between the router & the ACT Portal values?

shriganesh said:
But after reading your complaints, I am really worried about the phantom data problem. If they start throttling me before 125 GB is reached, I will be really pissed off.
The *phantom* data problem is real. Prepare to be upset! According to them, their portal shows a lower than actual (data consumed) value. I have asked for a change to the new plan too.
It's called ACT Remarkable.

newbieuser said:
Could earlier users please help me in getting the torrent settings correct?
Is it working now?

uberjon said:
Is it working now?
Yes its working now. But for some weird reason either bittorrent works or utorrent works when settings for both of them are same.
Also maximum download speed is close to 2mbps (though I am not complaining) not 15mbps.
Are there any particular reasons for the same?

newbieuser said:
Yes its working now. But for some weird reason either bittorrent works or utorrent works when settings for both of them are same.
Also maximum download speed is close to 2mbps (though I am not complaining) not 15mbps.
Are there any particular reasons for the same?
Speed = 15 Mbps (Megabits per second)
Download = 2 MBps (Megabytes per second)

Openwrt can only be installed on a very, very small % of modem+routers.
oh really?
root@ADSL-Gateway:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type : VR9 rev 1.2
machine : TDW8970 - TP-Link TD-W8970
processor : 0
cpu model : MIPS 34Kc V5.6
BogoMIPS : 332.54
wait instruction : yes
microsecond timers : yes
tlb_entries : 16
extra interrupt vector : yes
hardware watchpoint : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ff8, 0x0ffb, 0x0ff8]
isa : mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented : mips16 dsp mt
shadow register sets : 1
kscratch registers : 0
core : 0
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available
what is this then?
root@ADSL-Gateway:/# ifconfig pppoe-wan
pppoe-wan Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:122.xxx.yy.zzz P-t-P:122.164.0.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
RX packets:12035 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10309 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:11074961 (10.5 MiB) TX bytes:1249651 (1.1 MiB)
am i lost?
thanks!
-paul

So guys Airtel fucked me over .
They changed my plan to 1mbps in the day 2 mbps in the night no fup to 2mbps with 50GB fup :@
I called the CC and gave them a piece of my mind and they said that the back end engineers will give me a call back
iam thinking about changing to ACT. so how good are they? btw iam from mylapore

thebaltant said:
So guys Airtel f**ked me over .
They changed my plan to 1mbps in the day 2 mbps in the night no fup to 2mbps with 50GB fup :@
I called the CC and gave them a piece of my mind and they said that the back end engineers will give me a call back
iam thinking about changing to ACT. so how good are they? btw iam from mylapore
Hello,
Thanks for showing interest in ACT Broadband. Kindly inbox us your complete postal address and contact number with us so that our team can get in touch with you after checking the feasibility of our services in your area.
Warm Regards,
ACT Broadband

Yes, you can go for ACT. Be prepared for it to go down at least once in 2 months. You'll be back online in half a day(minimum). Customer service is pretty bad. But when it works, it's awesome. So, if you are a broadband addict, and you can afford it, keep a backup like Airtel around - just in case.

ACT works with a WAN router. It does NOT work with almost all DSL modern + router combos. You can get wifi routers for less than 1k.

Back