ACT broadband in Chennai

muthu said:
Just booked for ACT broadband. I stay in thiruvanmiyur area. the act guy told me that they would install fiber box so i will get rs 50 discount from my monthly bill. I opted for 25 mbps 75GB FUP plan. I am getting Asus-RTAC68U router :).. 25 mbps and a top AC router . I will be buying a smart tv soon. I am all set to setup a pretty good home network.
I will post the speed test results as soon as i get the connection.
Hi muthu since you got the AONT box in your home may I know how much is the energy consumption for it? Like they said it will be like only 4 or 5 units ? Please explain me

There is no easy way of knowing how much it consumes.
If you're up to it, you can calculate the approx wattage if you have a multimeter with a clamp & know the power factor. Another way is to remove the cables & plug it into a portable wattmeter.
muthu said:
how do they authenticate the connection?..so the userid and password not necessary?.. can somebody answer?.
Did the ACT guy use your computer to check connectivity?

shr said:
A PPPoE setup is required. Perhaps your Laptop has been configured with that?

uberjon said:
There is no easy way of knowing how much it consumes.
If you're up to it, you can calculate the approx wattage if you have a multimeter with a clamp & know the power factor. Another way is to remove the cables & plug it into a portable wattmeter.
Did the ACT guy use your computer to check connectivity?

apart from ppoe, It also works without setting up ppoe broadband connection if you log in via their portal. once you connect the Ethernet cable and open the browser it automatically redirects to act portal i.e portal.acttv.in and if you log in using the given credentials, it enables internet and the session lasts for about 24 hours.
Anyone using Asus-RTAC68U?

siril.mathew said:
Hi muthu since you got the AONT box in your home may I know how much is the energy consumption for it? Like they said it will be like only 4 or 5 units ? Please explain me
HI Siril,
initially they were talking about installing the box but they did not install the box since there was already a box available in the near by house. but they told me the same i.e. it would consume 3 to 5 units

@broadband.act
Hi,
I live in Perambur,Chennai-600011
I checked your website its not available in my area.

So far the connection has been solid. it reached peak download speed of 3MBps in my file download test. it varies between 1.5MBps to 3 MBps. 1080P videos on youtube are playing without buffering. but I don't see much difference between ACT 15mbps and my other connection airtel 4mbps when I access servers hosted in USA/Australia. I believe youtube must have servers in asia region. ran a test using testmy.net with a server located in dallas tx..
ACT 25mbps...

Airtel @4Mbps...

@broadband.act
when I started feeling happy about having a fast internet at reasonable price, the internet went down. It has been 1 hour and when i contacted the customer care they told me that the problem is in entire thriuvanmiyur area and it will be rectified within 4 hours. if it is going to be like this, I will think twice before completely switching over to ACT..
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

the internet is still Down. wow. I think I am going to experience what i experienced with youbroadband. called the customer care three times since afternoon. first one told me it would be rectified in 4 hours, the second one told me 3 hours and the third one told me it would be rectified in 2 hours.
it is just my second day with ACT. show some mercy..
now they will come and copy paste this "sorry for inconvenience blah blah blah"
my user id: 10897965
complaint number: 0002267517

Back