ACT Gigabit Installation Issue in Nellore

ISP
Airtel XStream Fiber
ACT Fibernet
Hello everyone,

I tried to get a new connection with the Giga combo plan in Nellore and the sales rep even created a prospect number and sent the payment link to me (The ID proof, photograph, etc were also uploaded). But soon after when I was almost about to make the payment, he called and informed me that after checking with the installation team (I particularly asked for confirmation out of curiosity), they are not providing gigabit connections in most areas of Nellore except for a select few citing some limitation with the "main server" and "FX boxes" or some boxes on the fiber line (not the GX ONT box that's supposed to be installed on-premise).

Now my whole neighborhood already has many ACT connections with the shared box model (ethernet cables coming out of a single switch) with all the connections being 200mbps or less (I also had one such connection over a year ago). So what exactly is the new infra that's required externally for a gigabit connection to be provided?

Anyone here has an idea on what exactly they are talking about and if there is any way I can reach out to some higher-level contacts at ACT and get the necessary work done for the connection to be provisioned? I'm no expert here but as far as I can tell, it just feels like the local team doesn't feel like putting in the effort to provide the gigabit connection and they're instead just asking me to go for a 200mbps or lower speed plan since there is already a box available nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
An update on the above is that I finally got the connection provisioned after sending an email to the Chief Operating Officer. All the excuses were gone and they got the fiber installed directly to my home terminating in a CX box with an 8-port managed switch out of which only one is active and the rest are disabled.

Also provided me with their standard TP-Link AX10 (AX1500) router. Testing the speeds with the local ACT Fibernet server of Nellore, I'm getting a ping of 1 ms and a download speed of 900-950mbps (on wired). However, upload speed seems to be limited to around 600-700mbps at max. The installation person informed me that there is still some work to be done on the fiber line coming from their main FX server box to ensure a...
Search the forum you'll find a thread with act gigabit experience

I think ACT provides a separate line for gigabit connection, it won't be provisioned from nearby junction boxes but you'll get your own box.

So maybe the ground team is avoiding the hassle

Upvote 0
@TheNuttyNet

I did go through that thread and saw that a dedicated box is installed for the customer in case of a gigabit connection.

However, there is no information on whether there is any difference in the fiber line between gigabit connections and <=200mbps connections (the fiber that comes from their main server or cluster location). And I think there is no such difference and the ground team is just avoiding the hassle as you said.

I think I can try and get the contact details of the Chief Operating Officer of ACT if there are any seasoned ACT users here who can let me know whether their higher officials take any action to resolve issues.

Upvote 0
An update on the above is that I finally got the connection provisioned after sending an email to the Chief Operating Officer. All the excuses were gone and they got the fiber installed directly to my home terminating in a CX box with an 8-port managed switch out of which only one is active and the rest are disabled.

Also provided me with their standard TP-Link AX10 (AX1500) router. Testing the speeds with the local ACT Fibernet server of Nellore, I'm getting a ping of 1 ms and a download speed of 900-950mbps (on wired). However, upload speed seems to be limited to around 600-700mbps at max. The installation person informed me that there is still some work to be done on the fiber line coming from their main FX server box to ensure a consistent 1Gbps bandwidth and that it will take a couple of days. They also promised that they will replace this CX box with a dedicated single-port GX box after a couple of days.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks, @TheNuttyNet I paid ₹9552 for a 6-month combo plan (10% discount because of the existing Airtel bill) and no extra charges for installation or router. They also promised one free month on the plan renewal after these 6 months.

Upvote 0
could you please provide the mail id of coo.iam also from nellore and trying to get 1 gig plan since october 2023.eveen they refunded the amount for my order.

Upvote 0
I have enquired about the same plan in Delhi, the person is asking for 1000Rs for the separate box and 500Rs for the installation.
Any way i can get these two waived off?

Upvote 0

Back