Airtel Broadband likely to soon offer 512kbps post FUP on all plans

• Thread starter Thread starter tushar_007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 92
  • Views Views 22,641
I am stuck with Airtel 2mbps (256 kbps post FUP) because Airtel does not give me 4/9 mbps in my area (proper Gurgaon, Sec-49). :(
I came to know this when I requested for a plan change last year. So, now I am stuck with 2mbps/30gb/256kbps/Rs.1399 plan. So, if 512 kbps post FUP is implemented, it is "some" relief.

BSNL not in your area? They have good plans here in Gurgaon.
GENIE said:
TRAI should make it mandatory to provide post FUP limit of 25% of the plan speed. With minimum post FUP limit speed of 512kbps
What's stopping ISPs from discontinuing unlimited plans completely?

Competition is perhaps the only reason they are not already doing so... FUP was a bold step Airtel took, and others followed. Will happen if 1-2 top guys (ISPs) - decide to take a risk and do it.

All the ISPs in this country seem to be united as far as FUP is concerned. It only needs one break away company to change this trend. But doing so on a national level is going to be very difficult. Its tough for newer, smaller players as it involves a lot of infrastructure which is not easy to lay in a country like ours.

^If you are referring to me - Reliance was able to supply internet only max. 20 hours a day to me - So how is that unlimited. It was time limited for me :P

Nope. Was responding to dips. He needs to know that Reliance is a national ISP with plans with no FUP.

chromaniac said:
What's stopping ISPs from discontinuing unlimited plans completely?

So be it...it hardly matters because there is no such thing as unlimited*. Volume of data transfer is limited by speed so imposing FUP is just another way to cap it.

Instead of saying unlimited let them give 5GB/day more (or whatever) and let the customer can decide how to utilize it. And buy more if needed....

* I am sure you know about...just saying for the benefit of others

Unlimited is still better than data limited plans because you do not end up paying per MB of data after you cross your data. Like you do on cheaper 3G plans.

chromaniac said:
BSNL not in your area? They have good plans here in Gurgaon.
BSNL is everywhere but I am scared of initial formalities of getting a new landline and/or broadband from BSNL.
Discontinuing Airtel is also a big headache because as discussed hundred times, their meter is running for few months even after discontinuation.

Back