Broadband Speed Test

I checked speeds from a few US servers, got around 210 - 225 kbps in a single connection. I tried it @ late evening, so it might not represent the situation at day when most users are active on network.

I've been complaining for months...but all they say is we'll get ur line checked and check some settings from our server end and that's it. Just won't admit that it's a widespread prob.

I have found that this link gives a fair result ...
http://www.zdnetindia.com/reviews/isp/rateisp/popspeed.html

The MTNL speed test is a joke since it covers only the local circuit from the local telephone exchange to your home modem.

The 'concentrator' from your local exchange to the main city exchange is where is problem lies. This is where one gets a serious drop in speed.

For me the Lalubhai Tel. Exchange to my home gives 220 kbps and the main exchange at Prabhadevi causes speed to drop to 170 kbps for most servers even in India.

As the number of clients increase in my area, the problem will only get worse. Yet, this is better than what the rest of Bharat is experiencing. So I take solace in MTNL.

Hopefully when the DTH services of Tata-Star begin by mid-year, we may get real 512 or more. I have signed on for a common building dish so that all our twenty homes get connected for TV and other facilities.

Best wishes.

France Télécom has laid new optical fiber connections direct to 100 homes in and around Paris to test a very high speed broadband access service, the company said Tuesday.
For €70 ($88) a month, customers participating in the fiber trial get Internet access, digital television broadcasts, and unlimited telephone calls over an optical connection with a theoretical maximum data rate of 2.5Gbps downstream, and 1.2Gbps upstream. The price includes installation and activation of equipment at the customers' homes, and the first two months' access are free.

During the trial, France Télécom also plans to offer interactive television services and videoconferencing, and will test new content-sharing and gaming services, it said.
[...]
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/07/26/...ighspeed_1.html

:blink:

Lol! How much is transfer rate between two drives in your hard disk ?I think it is not more than 100Mbits/sec. Or could be about 300Mb/sec in dual core processor which i don't have. So what be required to use this theoretical speed 2.5Gbits/sec?? Only a theoritical Super omputer will work. LOL

QUOTE(gavnitsingh @ Jul 27 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]56887[/snapback]
Lol! How much is transfer rate between two drives in your hard disk ?
I think it is not more than 100Mbits/sec. Or could be about 300Mb/sec in dual core processor which i don't have.
So what be required to use this theoretical speed 2.5Gbits/sec?? Only a theoritical Super omputer will work. LOL
[/b]

err..no

on my p3 700 (a 5 yr old computer !) which has UDMA-4 or 66MB/s that would be 528Mb/s (theoretical)..

Using HD Tune my pc shows an avg of 46.6MB/s or 373kb/s. i sugggest you try that app out and you might be quite happy to find that transfer rate on your two drives is maybe 3+(?) times what you think. Dual core processor...lol.. got nothing to do with it whatsoever...

And that's pretty much sustained, you would see half that on USB2 for big (ie long) transfers.

Nowadays the fastest on PATA Is UDMA-6 or 133MB/s with SATA-1 its 150MB/s & SATA-2 its 300MB/s (2Gb/s+)

Of course that was a slight digression from the incredible speeds these lucky French dudes get to have. Don't forget speed to outside that tiny segment is likely to be 1000 times slower...so not much fun if all the good stuff is outside, which it most likely is.

QUOTE(blr_p @ Jul 28 2006, 12:16 AM) [snapback]56893[/snapback]
avg of 46.6MB/s or 373kb/s.
[/b]

Small correction that should be 373 Mb/s

Those are insane speeds..but are actually useless for surfing for which a even 512 Kbps will sufffice. Most of the websites/routers that ur data travels through are under load of lot of users and they just dont have the resources to support those speeds. I cant even utilise the full potential of my 512 Kbps line when it comes to surfing. All websites load in fits and starts except some especially meant for BB.

torrents, other P2P applications etc are a different story though. Putting well seeded multiple DVD's on that line would be a joy !

Back