Google Photos

Only a matter of time before Google casually splits the product into two - Google photos and Google One Photos and will eventually kill sync between the two.

It was bound to happen, they can't sustain unlimited free space forever

Thankfully they are not counting existing photos against it. I have nearly 150 GB of photos on it

Amazon is still bundling free unlimited photo storage with prime accounts, I guess I will switch to using that

I have a UK account, I didn't know they don't offer it here. Although makes sense considering how cheap it is in india
What's the best alternative here then

Looks like Photos is offered in the UK as well?

Yes it is in the UK but then prime costs £7.99 a month which is nearly 10x what it costs in India so it makes sense

Am exploring alternatives right now. But seems like Google photos is the best one as of now. With Rs 108/month (yearly subscription), shared across family - it isn't a bad deal IMHO. Plus the ability to search for photos by any keyword is unmatched. Anyways, i'll update in case I find a better option.

According to Google's recent announcement, storage quota is applicable only for photos uploaded after June, 2021.

So my idea is to backup my entire old 1 TB hard disk (all photos & videos) to Google photos. Is this possible or will I run into any fair usage restrictions?

I already backed up all important media to google drive/photos. The only reason I want to backup entire disk is because it is a Now Or Never opportunity.

Back