Google Photos

photos larger than 16mp would be resized to 16mp. videos larger than 1080p are resized to 1080p. 16mp and smaller photos/1080p and lower videos are stored at original resolution but are optimized to take less storage space.

one thing i am not yet clear is the length of the video. previously, videos were only freely stored as long as they were 15 minutes or smaller (at 1080p). the support documents are not clear if there is a new limit or no limit or same limit.

based on what i am reading now and the logs posted by users, there is some kind of deduplication being used by google. so it should skip photos/videos that already exist online.

I uploaded a 30 minute video, and it didn't cause any issues, so I guess they allow videos of arbitrary length to be stored. Since they already allow the same with YouTube, I don't see why not.

free tier or paid tier?

youtube has a content id program that watches for copyrighted content. google would then need to implement the same program on google photos and people would not like that.

I am using their unlimited storage option.

UYybHB4.png

I tried uploading a video with copyrighted content, and it went through without a hitch. With Google Drive, I didn't have such luck. But probably they might introduce some feature for that in the future.

sounds good. but 30 minutes is still not much. would really love to see if google reacts if one starts uploading copyrighted movies to google photos for private sharing. i mean 1080p videos are pretty high quality and free storage for them is quite awesome.

@AbhishekS If you use a file browser, you will find the 3 folders inside the DCIM folder, the facebook folder also goes there for downloads from Facebook app. This is the main reason, I guess all things there get uploaded

Last edited by a moderator:
Camera folder is inside the DCIM folder. But none of the apps usually place their own folder inside the Camera folder. So they should appear as separate entries in Photos app as he already showed from the screenshots on the Gallery app.

The method that worked for me is this...

Install Tunnelbear (or any other VPN with US IP).
Turn on US VPN.
Clear app cache and data from Settings > Apps for Google Photos.
Run Google Photos. Complete all initial steps.
Go to settings. Enable GROUP SIMILAR FACES feature.
That's it.

It should now work on the app and web without VPN.

I think the cymera folder goes in there, I have used it long back so can't say for sure. My Facebook downloads get uploaded anyways. It does not gets separated in the Photos app, but is seen in different folders in the gallery app

Back