Hayai Broadband Launch Today (October 26 2011)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,199
  • Views Views 189,769
Status
Not open for further replies.
is it me or twitter is down for a long time now?

I think it's mostly you. I've been using it... as apparently have you... up until about 10-15 minutes ago, and now I've started receiving "over capacity" messages :(

mgcarley said:
We plan to exist in places where no other ISPs do. We've been approached already by people who want to license for Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgargh.

by existing everywhere i meant like being the one and only company in everyone's house

like AIRTEL they are like people's company kind of thing even though they offer shit services

u can offer good services at low price and be people's company and the company responsible for bring broadband to india officialy in the form it should be in

If you read my twitter posts at all, you'd discover that for the past ~4 days I've actually been en-route from the Caucasus to New Zealand, where I now have landed, dealt with family and can now continue working./QUOTE]

social networks suck,don't follow them

by existing everywhere i meant like being the one and only company in everyone's house

like AIRTEL they are like people's company kind of thing even though they offer shit services

I'd be more than happy to do the former (being ubiquitous in India) only if we can avoid becoming the latter (providing shit services).

u can offer good services at low price and be people's company and the company responsible for bring broadband to india officialy in the form it should be in

That's been "plan A" for quite some time.

social networks suck,don't follow them

Boo hoo. Sometimes that's the only thing I can update easily when I'm at gate 29876 at some large airport. Nevertheless, I'm reasonably sure I announced on this forum somewhere that I was going to be offline for a couple of days due to travel.

Railtel have given on their site that they will cover most uncovered areas by 2012. This means that Hayai will be able to spread almost nationwide by 2011 end..Am I correct?

Railtel have given on their site that they will cover most uncovered areas by 2012. This means that Hayai will be able to spread almost nationwide by 2011 end..
Am I correct?

You overestimate Railtel. They said to me in May 2009 that they would have last-mile fibre in Mumbai by September 2009. Didn't happen.

Railtel do, however, cover most of the country with backhaul fiber (and this is probably what you were reading about) - but this is irrelevent to users, because we still have to build the last mile between the user's house and our local point of presence.

We can already get to most of the country, but we don't have any last-mile outside of Mumbai, so it will take far longer than EOY 2011 to be as widely available as say, BSNL.

You overestimate Railtel. They said to me in May 2009 that they would have last-mile fibre in Mumbai by September 2009. Didn't happen.

Railtel do, however, cover most of the country with backhaul fiber (and this is probably what you were reading about) - but this is irrelevent to users, because we still have to build the last mile between the user's house and our local point of presence.

We can already get to most of the country, but we don't have any last-mile outside of Mumbai, so it will take far longer than EOY 2011 to be as widely available as say, BSNL.

Oh, didn't occur to me.. this is when you spread as wide as BSNL. But in terms of coverage, how will you know you are ready to launch ? To start with.. whole of Mumbai ?
And to say.. the whole of mumbai is already covered you say.. so the problem in the launch is not coverage, to say

Oh, didn't occur to me.. this is when you spread as wide as BSNL. But in terms of coverage, how will you know you are ready to launch ? To start with.. whole of Mumbai ?
And to say.. the whole of mumbai is already covered you say.. so the problem in the launch is not coverage, to say

Yeah. Railtel don't have much in the way of last-mile - they're almost exclusively backhaul (city to city). When I met with them first in May 2009, they said to me that it's basically up to me to build out the last mile... if I can do that, they can provide me whatever bandwidth I need to pretty much any part of India.

We don't need to be immediately available in every corner of the city/state/country - that can be built out as demand dictates. As soon as I'm back in India, we launch.

Railtel don't have much in the way of last-mile - they're almost exclusively backhaul (city to city).
That's the bigger job done. :)
As soon as I'm back in India, we launch.
Point to be noted :)

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

I don't think Railtel are, at all, interested in the last-mile fiber - instead they will stick to backhaul and let companies like you do the rest of the job.
Only thing is that they don't want you to know it, so that may be their excuse to tackle the situation.

Simply speaking, from Railtel's perspective, its much much easier for them to deal with few company wallahs and negotiate in backhaul deals then dealing with irate customers and all the mess that brings with that. See BSNL for instance. Even though its Sarkari, I know some of the honest guys they get literally harassed by irate customers. The cunning ones are the ones who are never in office so additional load is on these guys. I know of atleast 3-4 colleagues for whom they need ubiquotous broadband for their work. One guy literally shut his shop for a day and just sat in front of the concerned officer's chair. BSNL had been playing with him for the last 6 months or so. The above cases tell/share of both the potential within the market-space as well as the need for having motivated and better technical and customer support guys. Getting good people who can play with technology, be flexible in their approach towards customers, have a good bedside manner (in doctor/medicine speak) is what will crack the market. Most of the companies and the people I have seen don't see the need to uphold any company's values. Most of them are just looking for their next paycheck which is ok I guess. Thinking customers as idiots or cheating them is a different story altogether.

That's the bigger job done. :)

In terms of distance, yeah, maybe. In terms of complexity... not even close.

I don't think Railtel are, at all, interested in the last-mile fiber - instead they will stick to backhaul and let companies like you do the rest of the job.
Only thing is that they don't want you to know it, so that may be their excuse to tackle the situation.

They have a retail arm. I'm not sure why their service is not available through cablewalas in places like Mumbai and Delhi though... although unfortunately they no longer have anything like unlimited 32mbit/s.

Simply speaking, from Railtel's perspective, its much much easier for them to deal with few company wallahs and negotiate in backhaul deals then dealing with irate customers and all the mess that brings with that.

Yeah. Let BSNL do that.

See BSNL for instance. Even though its Sarkari, I know some of the honest guys they get literally harassed by irate customers. The cunning ones are the ones who are never in office so additional load is on these guys.

That doesn't sound like an Indian government organization at all!! [/sarcasm]

I know of atleast 3-4 colleagues for whom they need ubiquotous broadband for their work. One guy literally shut his shop for a day and just sat in front of the concerned officer's chair. BSNL had been playing with him for the last 6 months or so.

I've heard similar stories.

The above cases tell/share of both the potential within the market-space as well as the need for having motivated and better technical and customer support guys. Getting good people who can play with technology, be flexible in their approach towards customers, have a good bedside manner (in doctor/medicine speak) is what will crack the market.

We like playing with technology.

Most of the companies and the people I have seen don't see the need to uphold any company's values. Most of them are just looking for their next paycheck which is ok I guess. Thinking customers as idiots or cheating them is a different story altogether.

I've got the CVs of the reps I ended up hiring in a folder. I couldn't even tell you what's written on those CVs, but it was on the basis of my casual conversations with those people that they got the job. I know enough "paper MCSEs" (people who are certified but don't know jack) and about IT schools in India to be wary of most graduates *actual* abilities.

Unfortunately, enough customers are either idiots or trying to cheat you that it's a warranted concern. You've probably seen evidence of that on some of the other threads - people suggesting they would buy a residential 100mbit/s flat-rate plan (even if it were at a price which *everyone* could afford) and then on-selling it to neighbours or setting up a cyber cafe... that's not cool - that could even be described as malicious intent - especially if they are not licensed, because we'd probably end up receiving more of the wrath from the regulatory side than they would.

On the whole though, I'm expecting that we'll mostly have customers not unlike Sushubh who just want fast speeds and who will pay for what they use, and hopefully the prices of the flat-rate plans should be enough to put off all but the most determined network abusers (not that we're keeping prices artificially high - I think they'll be a bargain considering what they are!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back