Hayai Broadband Launch Today (October 26 2011)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,199
  • Views Views 189,772
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 hour once the technician arrives at the scene, so total time may be 3-4 hours depending on accessibility and such. We are trying to mitigate this risk by having redundant fiber, so if one goes down the other one should kick in within 50ms or so.

Recently Saw a Damaged Copper cables of Airtel which are layed underground. It almost took 1 whole day to Identify the guys where the cable was cut. When i have seen it with my own eyes, I realized underground is no longer a Safe option, It is up to some extent but better than above Ground Wiring.

how will the another connection kick in when a cable cuts some how. could you please elaborate:31:

If you have seen the wiring on electric poles, then if the electricity goes out because of short circuit on any of these poles, then a provision is there which ensures that within a short amount of time the electricity from other wires is routed to the affected areas as well, to ensure smooth supply of electricity till someone fixes the pole wiring. A similar concept is applied here, but just that there is no wire, there is a fiber optic cable.In other words, a separate spare link is there which is used in case of breakage of a link.

rajm11
also will you be able to provide a connection in DADAR( since its a prime area of actual mumbai) on day 1 ? if so please let me know I might contact a person who will take a connection on day 1.

We can, I think, but at the moment we will have to provide it over copper in that area because the fiber is not there in Dadar yet. Except for my new house, but I don't even live there yet.

If Hayai is not virtual ISP then he should provide connection to 1 or more members of IBF from mumbai or pune on day 1.

Unless by some miracle the paperwork comes through on Wednesday (crossing fingers "AND" toes), then Pune at least will be delayed for a few weeks. But not Mumbai.

Last year he claimed that some people tested his service. What if on 26th also he say that he gave connection to some people but don't get any proof.

https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/55083-testing-testing-1-2-3-a/12/

I'm waiting for a new box to be installed near my place, then I can demo everything. The current box tops out at around 50mbit/s.

Then, if you look carefully, there was no plan B. Now there is.

One mistake there was that the government didn't grant the licenses in time and the company in charge for the CPE's couldn't deliver them in time(ZyXEL, if I remember it right).

Actually we have plans B through somewhere around H based on various events taking place, but yes, we have alternatives.

If the license is not finalized by Tuesday, we'll sit on HNS until it is. This will also result in Hayai users getting delegated HNS IP addresses for anywhere up to a month.
If the CPEs are not delivered or fiber is not available for whatever reason we'll use copper until the CPEs arrive and give a little launch gift to those customers for putting up with copper until the CPEs do arrive as a thank you for loyalty/putting up with everything.
(and there are a few "if xxx isn't ready, then we'll yyy until it is ready".

I was informed last night that the website will also not be complete by 26th - it's functional, but ugly - so customers will be able to subscribe and stuff but they'll just have to put up with a horrible UI for the first few weeks.

Most of the payment systems are ready, so receipts can be delivered electronically (by email). We can accept Netbanking, Cash, Cheque, domestic and international credit/debit cards (visa/visa electron, mastercard/mastercard debit) and a few other payment methods. We can't do the POS machine topups yet because those machines have not yet arrived (so topups have to be done online for now), so for those paying in cash we will do the topup online for you straight away in front of you so that it reflects in your balance immediately. We prefer NOT to take cheques as we can't topup or activate the account until it's cleared.

Signups for anywhere in Mumbai will be allowed, and the website will try to make a best guess based on your location as to what you can get. If your suburb/street/apartment is in the address database, then you should be able to avail Fiber on day 1. If it's not, then we can put you on a copper-based plan until fiber is ready at your place or in your area. The only problem is that the address database is not yet complete, but we are getting as many done as possible. But, as I've mentioned in other posts, if you live in one of the areas we've been talking about, then chances are that we can deliver fiber to you.

I will be personally supervising some installs. Also, keep in mind that in some cases, there will be delays between signups and installs, in some cases a couple of weeks - please forgive us for this but despite the best laid plans, we have to expect some teething problems as we get in to the swing of things. In some cases, this may not be an altogether bad thing: in some cases it will mean that when you sign up, we'll say "you can only get copper", but after a couple of weeks when we're coming to do the install, we might be able to then say "you can get either fiber or copper - your choice".

I hope this answers some questions about where we're at - it's almost, but not quite at the stage of my second-worst nightmare (my worst nightmare would be having to delay completely). But it is happening, no doubt about that.

well mg?

What do you mean "well mg"? You do realize that I don't spend 100% of my time in front of IBF, don't you? I do other stuff as well.

----------

Recently Saw a Damaged Copper cables of Airtel which are layed underground. It almost took 1 whole day to Identify the guys where the cable was cut. When i have seen it with my own eyes, I realized underground is no longer a Safe option, It is up to some extent but better than above Ground Wiring.

how will the another connection kick in when a cable cuts some how. could you please elaborate:31:

It's completely automatic. 2 cables taking different routes are connected to the same equipment - one cable in port1, another in port2. The equipment is configured to use port1 exclusively (otherwise you get bad traffic which causes congestion on the network, unless it's designed to aggregate, but that creates a different scenario which is outside the scope here) unless it detects a link failure. When it does, port2 kicks in to life and the connection resumes. Total downtime is measured in milliseconds.

We then get an alert that says "hey, link1 is down, you should take a look"; at which point we can send someone out to get it repaired.

If you have seen the wiring on electric poles, then if the electricity goes out because of short circuit on any of these poles, then a provision is there which ensures that within a short amount of time the electricity from other wires is routed to the affected areas as well, to ensure smooth supply of electricity till someone fixes the pole wiring. A similar concept is applied here, but just that there is no wire, there is a fiber optic cable.

In other words, a separate spare link is there which is used in case of breakage of a link.

Pretty much. I have a video demonstration of it somewhere.

why do i smell like you are shelving your ftth plans for cablewallah bb. To put it in simple terms your copper plans are cheaper than fiber(as said by u) then why will that person migrate back to fiber just to pay more price.

Then, if you look carefully, there was no plan B. Now there is.

One mistake there was that the government didn't grant the licenses in time and the company in charge for the CPE's couldn't deliver them in time(ZyXEL, if I remember it right).

It is 100% sure that government won't grant license. If he was serious about getting license then he won't have discussed about 'gift' in public forum. You don't need any technical skills to know that. Also why did he claimed on New Zealand based broadband forum that " We have a class-A license - the document on the DoT website is several months out of date"
FTTH/Quad-play in New Zealand

why do i smell like you are shelving your ftth plans for cablewallah bb.

HELL NO! PERISH THE THOUGHT! FTTH is still our #1 priority and we are investing very heavily in the same.

There are 2 reasons we're even thinking along these lines:
1. Reachability - it means people can avail of our services in areas not covered by fiber.
2. Because we're trying to buy up cable guys and get them out, we'll end up inheriting some pretty shoddy/barely functioning copper networks, as well as some which might not be so bad. Until we can rebuild those networks properly (which obviously has to be done "one society at a time"), we have to offer something on whatever is there.

To put it in simple terms your copper plans are cheaper than fiber(as said by u) then why will that person migrate back to fiber just to pay more price.

Everything would be basically the same except the infrastructure fee, which would be less. Data would still be Rs10/GB and I think there will only be 1 flat-rate plan available on copper... maybe 2.

If we're delivering on a cablewallah's network, then we will not be responsible for downtime as a result of that, if it's something we've purchased then even though it is our responsibility, we wouldn't be inclined to invest in it any further - it would work until it dies a natural death and once that happens, it's fiber only - and that's if it's a good copper network! If it's in bad condition, we'd be ripping it out and replacing it with fiber almost straight away.

There's also no CPE involved with the copper (it would be FTTB at best) so we can't include that as part of the infrastructure fee.

Migrate back? You mean "migrate to", right? In short: copper is not as good, nor as fast, nor is it likely to be anywhere near as stable. Moreover, the switch would be forced: the point of Hayai is and always has been to be an FTTH service. The likely timeframe that you would even be able to avail a copper-based plan would not be likely to be more than a year, so presumably you'd on be on copper for a few months until the upgrade actually takes place.

It is 100% sure that government won't grant license. If he was serious about getting license then he won't have discussed about 'gift' in public forum.

This is an accepted fact of life in India. Get over it.

Also why did he claimed on New Zealand based broadband forum that " We have a class-A license - the document on the DoT website is several months out of date"
FTTH/Quad-play in New Zealand

At that time we were going to ride on someone else's class A for a while, then it didn't happen. Things change over time, what are ya gonna do... sue me?

Also, the documents on the DoT website are desperately out of date - I've seen some ISPs in those documents whose licenses were revoked/changed/merged, others who were upgraded, but which were not reflected even in the latest one.

At that time we were going to ride on someone else's class A for a while, then it didn't happen. Things change over time, what are ya gonna do... sue me?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What does that means? Claiming class-A license by providing piggybacking service of ISP which have class-A license?

At that time we were going to ride on someone else's class A for a while, then it didn't happen. Things change over time, what are ya gonna do... sue me?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What does that means? Claiming class-A license by providing piggybacking service of ISP which have class-A license?

At that time, yes. Since then, things have changed and we've applied for our own class A license. Most recently I was told to expect an answer in 15 days and that worst case scenario would be 6 weeks from now (I would even add 1 more week to that because of Diwali).

This Diwali /////// hmmm..... Ad is ready....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LrxocjYMX-4

Waiting to have blast at this diwali.

----------

Ad was originally posted on hayai.in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back