How is Beam Fiber Broadband able to offer incredible plans?

• Thread starter Thread starter gyan.pravu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 270
  • Views Views 146,697
the point remains... this is still pretty new. if they can sustain it with the kind of load they are adding on a daily basis, it would be awesome for their customers!

yeah sustaining is the key.

But what i like about beam is there clear cut vision. They know their target audience and its needs
which is very important. It has built a state of art network(at least from indian standards) which has no bottleneck's on the last mile.

There is a high possibility it can turn into a major player in the coming days. But that needs a pan India presence which is very important.

And most importantly its plans can scare the hell out of the existing players. I was just thinking what effect would beam had if it went to Mumbai, there the competition is very high with a lot of small dominant players.

one thing is clear... this proves that mgcarley's model is possible in india. fewer people are going to be surprised when (and if) hayai launches!

yea...interesting to see how hayai reacts to it.!!

now dont go all guns blazing on me....
am new here and just know that a guy is thinkin abt starting a new ISP here named hayai broadband....and he seems to know what he's doing :D

----------

but wanted to know....beam uses fiber optic cables for providing internet access and fiber optics does not have bandwidth problems like rest of ISPs have....??!!

none of the major ISPs have bandwidth problem in india. reliance airtel and tata have plenty of bandwidth available to them. they just do not want to offer competitive packages.

----------

if we are to believe mgcarley, raw cost of bandwidth to these companies is around Rs. 3 per GB.

one thing is clear... this proves that mgcarley's model is possible in india. fewer people are going to be surprised when (and if) hayai launches!

'if' hayai launches it is going to face tough time with their current probable plans. Airtel has already almost neared it and i see further nearing in the coming few days.

But the real problem will be from the smaller but amazing players like Beam and fivenet. They have really battered down the prices.

I think you should all appeal to head of beam fiber to come to delhi and mumbai.
You can see some pretty well fireworks and cracking competition then, like 10mbps fr 499(and i am nt joking).

airtel has neared it? hayai is not about cheap bandwidth alone. it is more about cheap bandwidth at the speeds your network could handle.

Dont make the Delhi NCR guys more jealous , we dont have beam :desire:

But a nice post for airtel and other crap ISPs :tongue2:

BTW i hope these guys make their presence felt all over india.....
airtel and reliance must be shitting in their pants.....AS FOR BSNL dont bother thinkin abt them....god knows when they'l rise from their pathetic 256kbps plan am on currently.... :( :O BSNL must be privatized to make it profitable....!! (FYI am not trolling..just givin out my opinions...) pll do respond for my beam queries and nothin elSE :D

----------

fivenet huh.?! *opens google....*

airtel has neared it?

hayai is not about cheap bandwidth alone. it is more about cheap bandwidth at the speeds your network could handle.

if i am not wrong airtel just launched 4 mbps fr 2099 (150GB)...i know it is nt near but at least it is in a right direction(nt 2 forget u get a LL as well which u don't use most of the times):tata:. And it will take nothing for it to half it.

i know i know one may say airtel will not/never do it..but u have to retaliate when the bomb falls on ur side otherwise ur a fool. Airtel will not blindly see its customers going to some other ISP will they.

----------

but wanted to know....beam uses fiber optic cables for providing internet access and fiber optics does not have bandwidth problems like rest of ISPs have....??!!

It uses FTTB which is a cheaper and economical alternative. Its last mile is one LAN cables, cat5,6,6e whatever.
This eliminates the need of expensive ftth setup.

Man I love how I wasn't even here to hijack the thread and people are still talking about Hayai :D

yea...interesting to see how hayai reacts to it.!!

now dont go all guns blazing on me....
am new here and just know that a guy is thinkin abt starting a new ISP here named hayai broadband....and he seems to know what he's doing :D

I think we're a bit past thinking ;)

We don't need to react to anything - I'd rather be the disruptive one. I'm sure by this time next year, Beam will be following in our footsteps.

Fiber can provide almost limitless bandwidth capacity - that's why even our residential plans are offering up to 1 GIGABIT to residential customers. But that's not to say that copper can't handle high-speed.

Airtel *could* provide up to 20-ish mbit/s to their customers now. So could MTNL, BSNL, Reliance and Tata (on their respective ADSL networks), and Airtel/MTNL *could* provide up to 50-ish or even 100mbit/s on the respective VDSL networks. Your local cable provider could probably provide up to 100mbit/s if he's using Cat5e cable to reach you.

I've never quite been sure why they don't.

none of the major ISPs have bandwidth problem in india. reliance airtel and tata have plenty of bandwidth available to them. they just do not want to offer competitive packages.

True, but there are significant problems in last-mile delivery.

if we are to believe mgcarley, raw cost of bandwidth to these companies is around Rs. 3 per GB.

Or less.

'if' hayai launches it is going to face tough time with their current probable plans. Airtel has already almost neared it and i see further nearing in the coming few days.

By if, you mean when. I can assure you that our plans are due for a huge revamp. I'm hoping to finally achieve my goal of flat-rate 100mbit/s at around Rs3k. Believe me, I lose sleep over my pricing.

But the real problem will be from the smaller but amazing players like Beam and fivenet. They have really battered down the prices.

I think you should all appeal to head of beam fiber to come to delhi and mumbai.
You can see some pretty well fireworks and cracking competition then, like 10mbps fr 499(and i am nt joking).

I doubt it.

Firstly there's the issue of last mile (as I've mentioned thousands of times) and the sheer cost thereof. Secondly, it's not difficult to offer higher speed - the thing is the data usage.

Fivenet is fortunate in that much of it's user base takes advantage of local file sharing. The traffic levels at their border is only about 1Gbit/s, and more importantly, the amount of incoming and outgoing traffic is almost balanced.

Fivenet and Beam are both also fortunate in that they use cable providers who charge separately for their infrastructure. Even if it's just 100 or 200 rupees a month, one must take that in to account when thinking about the total plan pricing (yes, I'm aware that by comparison our infrastructure charge looks expensive, but I think we can justify it).

On the other hand, BSNL, MTNL, Airtel etc don't charge separately for infrastructure, and even though it's a tangible thing (as in, actual cabling and equipment), for some people it feels like a kind of "nothing item" that's designed merely to inflate the price or something.

However, one universal issue providers have is basically high-speed vs "unlimited". This is a double edged sword, and it's sharp as all hell. At the current prices, with high speed will inevitably come that dreaded FUP, because the only alternative (raising the prices) is pretty much unthinkable.

For providers that have higher prices, it's been my experience that the prices can't be *too much* higher, so it comes down to making the plans attractive enough that people would see the value and as a result they would hopefully be popular.

Putting aside things like FUPs, it's been my thinking that if my nearest competitor offers 1mbit/s for Rs1k, then I should offer 5mbit/s for Rs2k. Double the price, but 5x as fast, so, much better value.

Although this doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement on our pricing, it introduces what is known as "the goldilocks effect":
Provider A is cheap, but the service is quite slow. (example: MTNL's 1mbit/s plan for Rs999)
Provider B is expensive, but the service is extremely fast. (example: Tata's 100mbit/s plan for Rs3500)
Provider C is somewhere in the middle, with fast service. (example: Hayai's 5mbit/s plan for Rs2000)

The same can even be seen within most provider's plan ranges - taking MTNL Mumbai as an example, it's 1mbit/s plan is quite popular because 512k = 599, 2mbit/s = 3999 and 1mbit/s = 999 - the best value is definitely the 1mbit/s plan. Or even in Hayai's pricing this can also be found. And this phenomenon is also found in many other industries - Economy vs Business vs First Class on flights. Cars. Hotels. Clothing. Electronics (computers, TVs, cellphones etc). Property. You name it, it's there.

Finding the right combination of price vs performance continues to be a moving target - as it's mentioned above, our 5mbit/s plan price looks pretty awful now as compared to when we first posted it, so naturally we have to revise it, and we have to continue revising it periodically until... well... forever! In our case, the most likely change will be only in speed, not in price.

----------

It uses FTTB which is a cheaper and economical alternative. Its last mile is one LAN cables, cat5,6,6e whatever.
This eliminates the need of expensive ftth setup.

Actually, the setup is *almost* the same. But they can't offer Gigabit, and they don't require a CPE (which can be kinda expensive and contributes toward our infrastructure cost). And they also can't offer triple play easily (for that, they'd need to switch to FTTB with VDSL equipment instead of the simple Ethernet boxes they have now).

Fiber Optic cables are pretty cheap nowadays. In fact, apart from not requiring a CPE, we couldn't justify using FTTB instead of FTTH.

Back