How is Beam Fiber Broadband able to offer incredible plans?

• Thread starter Thread starter gyan.pravu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 270
  • Views Views 146,698
yyea..i know difference between average speed and top speed......

and am just concerned with avg speed!!

and heard that USA has 4G networks launched in this year....and they have iPhones droids ipads a.k.a smartphones and tablets which use net significantly....so why dont they have superior speeds..?! oO

That depends on the definition of 4G. If we believe Tikona, that simply means "Wimax". Even LTE is not technically 4G, but it's somewhat closer to the truth.

As for the smartphones and tablets, yes, this has been a huge driver of mobile broadband data growth, but realistically, download speed is usually considered less important on a smartphone than a regular computer - where on a regular computer you're probably watching streaming movies (the recent data about Netflix suggests this to be the case for many) or downloading large files, ergo, speed is vital.

Unlike the way we've seen 3G sold in India where some people are using it as their PRIMARY connection, that's not the case for many in the US - 3G is a secondary/supplementary connection only, so people aren't downloading lots of large files and so on because they have their wired connection for doing that. On a smartphone, you're using VOIP or doing general surfing or maybe a few small file downloads, but not a lot by comparison. If I'm honest, under present circumstances, even 5GB of usage a month is quite a lot for an average smartphone, and you'd probably only use more than this if you were tethering the phone to your PC and/or hitting up the iTunes store 500x a month!

However, given that probably 85% of the content consumed in the USA is actually hosted in the USA, I too am questioning "why don't they have better speeds?" After all, it's not like it has to traverse any cables through International waters like it does 85% of the time for Indian Broadband users - in theory it should be far easier for the US providers to give maximum throughput, but sadly this is not the case.

But they are not leaving with 256 kbps speed like us. They have average speed around 5-10mbps at affordable price.
But as I know, they have started replacing copper cables with Fiber around the nation. First example is Google FIOS. I know tariffs has not declared yet. It is under development. That project will give each user 1 GBPS but Fiber development in USA will not go like India development speed once all will start replacing cables in USA.

The USA has it's own set of problems - a Broadband utopia it is definitely not. It is a lot like India in that in many areas - Broadband and 3G services simply are not available, and they have similar territorial wars to India (although on a much larger scale - AT&T usually won't provide service where Verizon does and so forth).

These factors are contributing to the reason you're now starting to read about so many of these community fibre projects: people are simply sick of waiting for Broadband, and it's pretty easy to convince one of the backbone providers to pull a single fibre to a town (because they're going to get a lot of money for doing so) as compared to convincing that same provider to also pull fibre throughout the last mile to all the resident's homes, and this is also one of the things that I got told when I was first talking to people back in 2009: Railtel basically told me "build a last mile, and we'll provide the backbone to where ever you need it" because *apparently*, they can't (or can't be bothered to) build that last mile.

If I'm honest, under present circumstances, even 5GB of usage a month is quite a lot for an average smartphone, and you'd probably only use more than this if you were tethering the phone to
yea...in holidays i took 1GB mobile internet browsing for 99Rs..for my phone...thought WHAT THE HECK thinkin i'l exhaust my 1GB in one day as i would have done it on my pc easily.....but took me whole 9 days to exhaust it.....download speed was 17KBPS ...downloaded some jar games..but mostly used it for FACEBOOK!!

But they are not leaving with 256 kbps speed like us. They have average speed around 5-10mbps at affordable price.
But as I know, they have started replacing copper cables with Fiber around the nation. First example is Google FIOS. I know tariffs has not declared yet. It is under development. That project will give each user 1 GBPS but Fiber development in USA will not go like India development speed once all will start replacing cables in USA.

first of all FTTH is already there in USA and that too on a large scale. verizon (product name-Fios) is providing it for some 4-5 yrs now and in all probability it has spent the highest amount by any company in fiber deployment in the world.
Google is just doing a trial that too in one city,it is virtually of no use to the rest of USA.

USA is going down the drain just like India. There are exceptions though: Sonic.net for example is doing something very cool... 1Gbps fiber for $70—in America? Yup.

well it really depends on the perception. :Read:
1gbps is of no use as of now, from my point of view the speed of ur connection should just be a little higher than maximum BW hogging application.
The two obvious cases are HD vid streaming which takes 9-10 or at max 15Mbps.The other is Torrents which hardly go to that speed ever.
today http downloads,updates are in sub 1GB category(mostly and even lesser) so that is not a point either:Boy Zip:.

At the end countries like S.korea and japan are only good at lavish net speed's:baby: and 1Gbps declarations:worthy: whereas USA at the end is .........USA.:flag:

first of all FTTH is already there in USA and that too on a large scale. verizon (product name-Fios) is providing it for some 4-5 yrs now and in all probability it has spent the highest amount by any company in fiber deployment in the world.
Google is just doing a trial that too in one city,it is virtually of no use to the rest of USA.

FTTH is in a lot of places. India seems to be one of the last countries realizing the need for an excellent telecommunications infrastructure. I sincerely think that as Broadband becomes better and more widely available, the economic situation of India is set to skyrocket even more than when it became the west's outsourcing hub.
well it really depends on the perception. :Read:
1gbps is of no use as of now, from my point of view the speed of ur connection should just be a little higher than maximum BW hogging application.
The two obvious cases are HD vid streaming which takes 9-10 or at max 15Mbps.The other is Torrents which hardly go to that speed ever.
today http downloads,updates are in sub 1GB category(mostly and even lesser) so that is not a point either:Boy Zip:.

At the end countries like S.korea and japan are only good at lavish net speed's:baby: and 1Gbps declarations:worthy: whereas USA at the end is .........USA.:flag:

I've often maintained that each person should have an average of about 30mbit/s available in order to maximize efficiency and ensure minimal disruptions and an ability to multitask online. If you're like my house and have 4 or more internet connected devices, the theory would be that 120mbit/s needs to be available to ensure that everyone can do things without disrupting the others. It doesn't really matter how big the average downloads are.

Say for example, if my brother is watching Youtube at 720p, my mother's computer is downloading operating system updates and doing some video chat on Skype, and my father is watching IPTV in HD format, it's nice to know that there's still plenty of bandwidth to spare in case I want to download something, even if (in theory) it would only take a minute or so for one of those things to finish downloading (let's say the updates) and free up some of the line capacity.

In this case, it's not about the data-usage per subscriber, it *is* about the speed. It shouldn't be there for subscribers to sit there and saturate all the time, it should be there for when it is needed, and as I've said countless times - when you have a super fast line, it does sit there being idle for like 99% of the time anyway, but when you want to download something, it's snappy and gets it over and done with in mere seconds instead of hours.

Of course, this capacity should increase over time to match new bandwidth demands of new applications and/or increases in media quality - in a couple of years I would probably revise up from 30 to 50mbit/s as being necessary for an ideal user experience.

GOT BEAM ATLAST!!!! :D: :D: :D:DD:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D: HOLY SIHT!!! WHAT LIGHTENING FAST SPEEDS!!! :D
https://www.speedtest.net/

----------

http://www.pingtest.net/ ping test!! :D:D:D:DD:D

HOLY SIHT!!! AM HAPPY AS HELL!!! if u observe...i have fiddled with almost all the top 5 threads in beam connection topic in this forum!! :D:D:D:DD:D:
aTlaaassssst!!!! gods are shining on me!! :D

----------

I've often maintained that each person should have an average of about 30mbit/s available in order to maximize efficiency and ensure minimal disruptions and an ability to multitask online. If you're like my house and have 4 or more internet connected devices, the theory would be that 120mbit/s needs to be available to ensure that everyone can do things without disrupting the others. It doesn't really matter how big the average downloads are.

yea...what MG says its true...i mean earlier i used to start downloads and then leave the system...now even as downloads are active in the background...am here on IBF !!! :D :D
i didnt even think its possible seeing that crappy BSNL!! :|

----------

BTW beam uses crappy 24ONLINE cilent..?!!? o.O anybody confirm this plz..

BTW beam uses crappy 24ONLINE cilent..?!!? o.O anybody confirm this plz..
beam uses Client ??
what are you talking about ?

i mean if i open any website...it takes to 24online client page....there when i enter my beam id and password.....i get connected to the net.....

----------

In this case, it's not about the data-usage per subscriber, it *is* about the speed. It shouldn't be there for subscribers to sit there and saturate all the time, it should be there for when it is needed, and as I've said countless times - when you have a super fast line, it does sit there being idle for like 99% of the time anyway, but when you want to download something, it's snappy and gets it over and done with in mere seconds instead of hours.

this is true too!!!
i wanted to see how i met your mother season 6 from a long time...and another movie..( hangover part 2)...now since i downloaded them...i dont know what else to download !! hmmmmmmmm..interesting...

i mean if i open any website...it takes to 24online client page....there when i enter my beam id and password.....i get connected to the net.....
see the other thread i replied, and automate it.

Back