How is Beam Fiber Broadband able to offer incredible plans?

• Thread starter Thread starter gyan.pravu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 270
  • Views Views 146,697
That 4mbit/s thingi exist only in advertisements, at least for Hyderabad im confident, as listening about some 8mbps plan form them i called Airtel couple of days back.
they are totaly clueless about such plan & informed the highest plan available is 2mbps. they were giving me 20% flat discount too if i rejoin them :P

I'm pretty sure that the 8mbit/s plans are only available in a few areas. The 30 and 50mbit/s plans are available in even fewer places.

4mbps does not exist in large areas of gurgaon as well.

noticed on my twitter stream too a couple of folks applied for the 2099 4mbps plan and were told that their area is not covered.

Weird. I wonder why they can't provision the 4mbit/s plans in Gurgaon, Hyderabad and undoubtedly others? That seems simply ridiculous since it's only a setting at the DSLAM.

god knows. i was told that they have been planning to upgrade the network in my area so that it can support higher speeds. but then i guess there is little incentive to upgrade the wiring which probably cost a lot of money and could disrupt existing services.

god knows. i was told that they have been planning to upgrade the network in my area so that it can support higher speeds.

but then i guess there is little incentive to upgrade the wiring which probably cost a lot of money and could disrupt existing services.

The wiring itself should be sufficient, and the DSLAMs should also be sufficient unless they've deployed ADSL Lite which is unlikely because that has a maximum speed of 1.5mbit/s only.

The original version of ADSL should support up to 8mbit/s, and if the subscriber is less than 1.5km from the DSLAM, they should get 5-6mbit/s. Once you get longer than that it would slowly degrade to about 1.5 or 2mbit/s (5km from the DSLAM) and shortly thereafter would stop working altogether... ADSL2 or 2+ is the same but with higher speeds (12 and 24mbit/s respectively).

This is why I've been saying that there is no reason that they couldn't just remove the artificial speed limits and give people "line speed".

guess so. since the line at my place is capable of supporting IPTV, they probably have some other reasons to not give me 4mbps. for me iptv struggles with 1mbps on torrents. i wonder what would happen on 2mbps. could be a problem related to the router i am using though.

Strange.. Or might be Im lucky.
i am getting Internet even there in no power (i have backup of a little over an hour)

I've the CPE box installed at my place it works without power for more than half-an-hour... and did even while it was raining...
I knw for sure that the CPE has a UPS backup for sometime...

guess so. since the line at my place is capable of supporting IPTV, they probably have some other reasons to not give me 4mbps.

for me iptv struggles with 1mbps on torrents. i wonder what would happen on 2mbps. could be a problem related to the router i am using though.

IPTV shouldn't be deployed on ADSL1. ADSL2+ should be OK. What does your line sync at?

i think it was around 8mbps. not sure because it was installed long time back. and i do not remember the modem password to check it right now :D

I've the CPE box installed at my place it works without power for more than half-an-hour... and did even while it was raining...

This is why FTTH is so great. It's passive and only uses power at your premises, so if you have a UPS, it'll just keep working.

from what i remember they allocated around 4-5mbps to the port used for IPTV. rest for the broadband.

never really cared about it much though.

----------

reminds me of sify broadband. ass***** used to connect their stuff to customer's power supplies.

and their own service support was so bad. that i used to turn off their shit at my place when i was not using the internet myself.

dunno..but those beam guys told me..it wouldnt work widout power!!!! >:O
actually am kinda getting freaked out!! first of all no beam portal for me..jus 24online client...now this powerback up issue...although it soesnt have much impact on me....still kinda strange....
anybody know whats going on wid me.?!

Back