How is Beam Fiber Broadband able to offer incredible plans?

• Thread starter Thread starter gyan.pravu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 270
  • Views Views 146,696
we can't say it is best.in past 5 month i have faced many problems, i know they got solved but problems are problems . if you frequently get the problems, you get irritated. i every time tell them why i get the problem every week :) , they don't have any ans.still from many days i m not getting the good speed. now i got tired of calling them :)

Hmm. Well from what I can ascertain:

1. They buy 100% of their bandwidth from TATA/VSNL
2. They don't peer anywhere.
3. I assume they are connected only to SMW4 because they're a member of Bharti's border records as well, but no traffic seems to go through Bharti, only through Tata's network.

This can't be good for uptime.

Interestingly, some of their IP addresses also seem to be blacklisted, I'm guessing for spam.

Mr.Mgcarley .. they have addtional Server Bandwidth from Bharathi Not from Tata(they use to Before 1 year).

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

yayy..[:)] i just heard from a website called Beam Telecom Helpline that beam telecom is going to increase its bandwidth again to double...

Mr.Mgcarley .. they have addtional Server Bandwidth from Bharathi Not from Tata(they use to Before 1 year).

According to my live BGP tables, 100% of traffic from AS18209 is flowing through AS4755, which is VSNL. AS18209 Beam Telecom Pvt Ltd - bgp.he.net

yayy..[:)] i just heard from a website called Beam Telecom Helpline that beam telecom is going to increase its bandwidth again to double...

This is an unofficial site - you realize that, don't you?

According to my live BGP tables, 100% of traffic from AS18209 is flowing through AS4755, which is VSNL. AS18209 Beam Telecom Pvt Ltd - bgp.he.net

This is an unofficial site - you realize that, don't you?

@ Mgcarley yeah ur right, i have also checked.. the bandwidth is from VSNL, and as far as i know they have a secondary server that is from Bharati as a back up.. if the VSNL is down or for some reason, they use the Airtel server..

I do check this unofficial site when i need correct and right updates Before the company officially announces..

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

You're only about half right about all that. Beam purchases bandwidth in bulk from Bharti, Reliance and Tata (by bulk, I mean like 155 or more mbit/s at a time). Given that Beam has its own FTTB network, they can choose to distribute that bandwidth however they see fit, at whatever price allows them to be profitable. BSNL is in no way involved.

Furthermore, Airtel, RCOM and TATA are *NOT* the only ISPs who can provide static IP addresses OR dedicated connections - despitethe fact that the companies providing these services procure their own bandwidth from those Airtel, RCOM and Tata.

Also, there is nothing wrong with Dynamic IPs. APNIC prefers ISPs to distribute IP addresses dynamically rather than statically.

Can u explain for how much do they buy the bandwidth.. and how do they distribute ( say 2 lakh customers??). What i wanted to say is if they buy 155 or 200 Mbit/s. I think he has to buy bandwidth in GB.. Wat do ya say?
I dont think Every user will get proper speeds if they buy 150 Mbit/sec or 200!

I can assure you that Beam Telecom, as with ALL ISPs in India, procure their international bandwidth from Bharti and/or Reliance and/or Tata. I am sure that if you try a traceroute to any non-Indian IP address (or in some cases, even Indian IP addresses), you will see that the traffic will pass over one of those 3 networks.

Having checked the upstream distribution graphs, it turns out that 100% of Beam's upstream traffic is procured from Tata (which is somewhat unusual because in theory that means no redundancy). AS18209 BEAMCABLE-AS-IN Beam Telecom Pvt Ltd

The ISPAI is merely a voluntary organization to which ISPs can become members if they desire. The full list of license holders (as of 31/12/09) can be found on the DoT website, however merely being a license holder has nothing to do with how you connect to the world.

@ mgcarley:pleasehelp: Please tell me for how much do they buy bandwidth and all .. please reply to all my queries in this thread!! :@

@ mgcarley:pleasehelp: Please tell me for how much do they buy bandwidth and all .. please reply to all my queries in this thread!! :@

The exact numbers are confidential, for which NDAs have been signed. I know my figures and I can give ballparks based on that but I cannot speak for Beam or any other ISP - I can merely make an educated guess.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

@ Mgcarley yeah ur right, i have also checked.. the bandwidth is from VSNL, and as far as i know they have a secondary server that is from Bharati as a back up.. if the VSNL is down or for some reason, they use the Airtel server..

VSNL and Bharti are for the most part using the same cable systems, that is, SMW4.

Can u explain for how much do they buy the bandwidth.. and how do they distribute ( say 2 lakh customers??). What i wanted to say is if they buy 155 or 200 Mbit/s. I think he has to buy bandwidth in GB.. Wat do ya say?
I dont think Every user will get proper speeds if they buy 150 Mbit/sec or 200!

I guess it depends. The wholesalers sell it in blocks of 155mbit/s (STM-1), for which the maximum price is 2.99 Crores (set/published by TRAI) - I doubt they pay anywhere near this much, though the exact figures as I mentioned would be confidential and are not known by me (I only know what price I would pay for the same amount).

I would expect Beam probably has about 2.5Gbit/s (STM-16) if they have about 1 lakh customers, though it's hard to tell exactly because they're not advertising very many IP addresses (perhaps they're using a lot of NAT or something).

The exact numbers are confidential, for which NDAs have been signed. I know my figures and I can give ballparks based on that but I cannot speak for Beam or any other ISP - I can merely make an educated guess.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

VSNL and Bharti are for the most part using the same cable systems, that is, SMW4.

I guess it depends. The wholesalers sell it in blocks of 155mbit/s (STM-1), for which the maximum price is 2.99 Crores (set/published by TRAI) - I doubt they pay anywhere near this much, though the exact figures as I mentioned would be confidential and are not known by me (I only know what price I would pay for the same amount).

I would expect Beam probably has about 2.5Gbit/s (STM-16) if they have about 1 lakh customers, though it's hard to tell exactly because they're not advertising very many IP addresses (perhaps they're using a lot of NAT or something).

According to my Calculations : a 100gbit Line would cost to a max of 70-90million!
the bandwidth MAX cost shouldn't cross 110million (100gbit). for such cheap rates they get the bandwidth
and sell it to the customer and make him a fool.

Fivenet Wala who's Offering a 10mbps for 750pm(9k P.A) Should get the bandwidth of 100gbit for (50 - 60million MAX)

Now u shud speak frankly Tell me whether my calc are true or its just my Guessing!

According to my Calculations : a 100gbit Line would cost to a max of 70-90million!
the bandwidth MAX cost shouldn't cross 110million (100gbit). for such cheap rates they get the bandwidth
and sell it to the customer and make him a fool.

Fivenet Wala who's Offering a 10mbps for 750pm(9k P.A) Should get the bandwidth of 100gbit for (50 - 60million MAX)

Now u shud speak frankly Tell me whether my calc are true or its just my Guessing!

Your calculations are way off.

You do realize that when we buy international bandwidth, there is contention for that bandwidth? Just because fivenet is selling 10mbit/s @ 999pm or 6k a year, doesn't mean that actually HAVE 10mbit/s per customer on the 10mbit/s plan - nor are they required to.

But the fact remains - providing the faster speeds instead of 256k means that because the total time to transfer a file is shorter, customers are more likely to actually achieve close to the 10mbit/s when they are running a speed test, which is merely proving what I've been saying for the past year and a half about network utilization and such, that is, the ISP can effectively do more with less.

I can tell you for certain that neither Fivenet (nor any other ISP smaller than Airtel, Tata, BSNL, MTNL or Reliance) have got bandwidth anywhere near 100gbit/s - Hathway may be coming close, but Fivenet reports bandwidth of less than 10Gbit/s.

9 Crores a year would barely get you 3.5Gbit/s (assuming a fairly hefty discount off of my price per STM for buying at least 16 STMs). I'm guessing, but assuming an approximate rate given to one of the large ISPs for a 10gbit/s line, 100Gbit/s would probably run an ISP about 120 Crores a year - give or take.

You do realize that when we buy international bandwidth, there is contention for that bandwidth? Just because fivenet is selling 10mbit/s @ 999pm or 6k a year, doesn't mean that actually HAVE 10mbit/s per customer on the 10mbit/s plan - nor are they required to.

But the fact remains - providing the faster speeds instead of 256k means that because the total time to transfer a file is shorter, customers are more likely to actually achieve close to the 10mbit/s when they are running a speed test, which is merely proving what I've been saying for the past year and a half about network utilization and such, that is, the ISP can effectively do more with less.

I can tell you for certain that neither Fivenet (nor any other ISP smaller than Airtel, Tata, BSNL, MTNL or Reliance) have got bandwidth anywhere near 100gbit/s - Hathway may be coming close, but Fivenet reports bandwidth of less than 10Gbit/s.

9 Crores a year would barely get you 3.5Gbit/s (assuming a fairly hefty discount off of my price per STM for buying at least 16 STMs). I'm guessing, but assuming an approximate rate given to one of the large ISPs for a 10gbit/s line, 100Gbit/s would probably run an ISP about 120 Crores a year - give or take.

I did not think about the contention ratio actually so the whole thing got wrong!:rofl:

@Mgcarley

Can u explain why pings to Us servers are worst compared to asia servers? They Buy bandwidth from TATA ( thats confirmed)
Youtube(360p) video buffers a 3 -4 times. Why does this happen only to Us servers?

Back