Indian Cricket Season 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 841
  • Views Views 48,006
Exam row: Delhi University promotes Unmukt Chand to second year of graduation - India - Delhi - ibnlive

Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh on Friday said that Unmukt Chand, the captain of U-19 Indian cricket team which won the World Cup, will be allowed to move to the second year of graduation. Chand was denied permission by St Stephen's College to appear for his first year exams due to short attendance.
Chand, however, will have to clear his first year exams during the third and fourth semesters of the second year.

Earlier in the day, the Delhi University Vice Chancellor had written to Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken saying he would look into Chand's case at the earliest. "As regards Unmukt Chand's case, the matter came to my attention two days ago and we have strongly urged the Principal to forward the papers to us as the earliest so that we can assist Unmukt," Singh told Maken.
Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal also spoke to Dinesh Singh as well as the Principal of St Stephen's College, Valson Thampu, after Team India captain MS Dhoni and Maken rallied behind the young cricketer.
Asked if there should be a policy for such cases, Sibal said there should be a provision under university regulations where such emergency powers can be used in special cases in national interest.
Delhi University rules mandate a student to have at least 33.3 per cent attendance in an academic session after all exemptions, but 19-year-old Unmukt, a first year BA student of St Stephen's College, could not attend required number of classes owing to his cricketing engagements.

Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh on Friday said that Unmukt Chand, the captain of U-19 Indian cricket team which won the World Cup, will be allowed to move to the second year of graduation. Chand was denied permission by St Stephen's College to appear for his first year exams due to short attendance.
Chand, however, will have to clear his first year exams during the third and fourth semesters of the second year.

Wow DU bending over ....

Asked if there should be a policy for such cases, Sibal said there should be a provision under university regulations where such emergency powers can be used in special cases in national interest.

Really national interest??

Wonder if we would have had this hoopla had we not won the Jr WC...

Thats a very crucial point. I too wonder, would they have bothered if India had got knocked out in the quarters or semis

India struggling against the Kiwis - Back to old times (Eng/Aus series) again?

They won by 5 Wkts...thanks to Kohli, Dhoni and Pujara...Sachin another failure...

This was such a short series but there are plenty of things to question and to cherish as well.. Me, being an ardent fan of Indian cricket, just going to point out a few things about every player about what he has done in this series. 1. Virender Sehwag - Disappointing show - Even though he always goes all guns blazing irrespective of the format, its been a disappointing show for me since he didn't even score a fifty. He is one of those rare talents where his strike rate is 80 odd in test cricket which is exceptional but not scoring even a fifty is utterly disappointing.2. Gautam Gambhir - Disappointing show - I think at his age, a batsman should be in his prime but he is just out of form. And I don't know how many of you's are equally frustrated along with me for him being getting out in almost identical way from like 2009. Trying to guide the ball down to third man and gets a nick rather. 3. Cheteshwar Pujara - Really brilliant performance from this guy I'd say. Probably the right choice for No:3 but he will be tested when a goes overseas and even when England comes here in November. This guy is a big positive for us.4. Sachin Tendulkar - Is his time up ? I never thought i'd dislike Sachin like this in my whole life. With all due respect to the great man and for what he has done, is it really time for him to retire from either odi's or test cricket or from both? 5. Virat Kohli - This fella is in his prime and it looks like you just can't fault a thing. And the thing that I love about this guy is he is so adaptable. I mean he plays test cricket how it should be played, leave the ball early in your innings, look for the bad balls, and get settled. Not like the guy who chips in next.6. Suresh Raina - Indeed he played a few match winning knocks in sri lanka but you just shouldn't select a guy just because he has performed well in odi cricket. They don't look the amount of time he has spent at the crease. This guy needs to play longer innings in Ranji to earn his place in test cricket. He was obsolete in the whole series and Rahane, and Badrinath were wasted again. Simplay said, Raina is just not test cricket material at the moment. 7. MS Dhoni - Brilliant performance from the captain but still I would have loved if he had scored a century in this series. 8. Ravichandran Ashwin - Deserved the man of the series award. He just did everything. 18 wickets and some 60 odd runs in the two innings he got to play. Best of luck for the England tour!9. Zaheer Khan - I won't blame Zaheer but if a Kiwi fast bowler gets 7 wickets in an inning and you only get 2 or 3, its just scary isn't it?10. Pragyan Ojha - The Ojha - Ashwin Combination worked really well. He did his part so I won't fault him.11. Umesh Yadav - Still in the learning curve. Bowled with a lot of heart in the second innings. I do blame Dhoni for giving pragyan Ojha the ball at the start of test. It should have been Yadav or Khan. If you are playing in Kolkata or Kanpur in second innings, it wouldn't have mattered but, Day 1, Cloudy skies, a bit help for the fast bowlers it just downs your level of confidence. With all this said, will he be considered over Ishant Sharma during England's tour of India is my question. And I'd also like to mention Trent Boult. He bowled with a lot of heart and it reminded me of the Ashes 2005 where Brett Lee ran in the entire series and consistently bowling over 140 but he was absolutely unlucky at The Oval especially in the final day. Boult was in the same situation and unlucky at times but that's just Cricket.And a personal message to the selectors would be Please do not select Suresh Raina for the tests against England and Australia.

^^^ Perfect Summary of India-NZ Test Series :Boy Thumbs Up:

1. Virender Sehwag - Disappointing show - Even though he always goes all guns blazing irrespective of the format, its been a disappointing show for me since he didn't even score a fifty. He is one of those rare talents where his strike rate is 80 odd in test cricket which is exceptional but not scoring even a fifty is utterly disappointing.

No fifty but still very consistent. He scored 40 odd runs in each inning, 43, 47 and 38! And then don't forget the awesome slip catching. :D

^^ Mate, I reckon Ricky Ponting went without scoring a hundred for 18 innings and yet he was averaging about 38 when we toured Australia and Ian Chappell said during his commentary that his form was poor and Wasim Akram said we consider 38 an excellent average in sub continent. His last hundred was against New Zealand in 2010 at Motera which was 2 years ago and his last 9 centuries have been in sub continent.And that automatically raises the question that is he good only if wickets are flat? No disrespect meant and I'm not saying that he should retire or that he should be dropped or drop him down the order but even then we don't have anyone who could replace right now. I was disappointed since a man of his class failed to score a fifty even at home. It just gives me a feeling that things are just gettin worse for us. By the way, his slip catching was awesome. :)

^^^ Perfect Summary of India-NZ Test Series :Boy Thumbs Up:

Thanks bro! :)

Back