Is TP-Link Archer C6 good enough for 100mbps access point?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 58
  • Views Views 6,380

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Is C6 good enough for 100mbps access point? My really really old Buffalo router has become quite painful to use in the corner most room of the house 😩

so what's the deal with onemesh. can i get another c6 router and create a mesh network between them?

the problems have actually increased after replacing buffalo with tp-link. even with all routers configured with same ssid and encryption, phones are not switching between them. this was not happening with buffalo probably because of low range on that router.

Upvote 0
See my earlier post, you can't use another C6 as a mesh device. ☹️☹️ which is kind of silly IMO.

Wireless roaming wouldn't work properly with devices of different manufacturers. In OpenWRT we can enable fast roaming if all devices run OpenWRT. If the better range is the issue, you could set the power level to low or medium.

Upvote 0
the other router on the groundfloor is an old mi with chinese firmware. so i can logically get another c6. switch both to openwrt and turn on fast roaming? that would be pretty similar to mesh?

Upvote 0
Yep, that's what I've done for now. Have two OpenWRT devices (one in 1st floor, another in the ground floor) Roaming works decently. Not very perfect, cause at some locations, it keeps switching between the two APs probably cause the signal levels are at the edge. Perhaps it can be tweaked, I've not looked into it much cause it isn't a big issue.

Upvote 0
I am using archer c6 with the stock firmware with the transmit power set to high. Will I get increased coverage if I set the transmit power to low or medium

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
TP-Link website does seem to indicate so.

kslFlxR.jpeg

i guess the loophole is that second device has to be a repeater and not a router. not sure what's the difference though lol.

Upvote 0
Exactly, I have no clue why they have disabled OneMesh when you use another router in AP mode. That's like crippling the product. But if a router supports OneMesh, the range extenders become pointless so might be from a commercial perspective. 😝

You can use a OneMesh™ Wireless Router or Modem Router with several sets of Range Extenders or Powerline Adapters to create a OneMesh™ network. Be aware, you cannot create a OneMesh™ network between two routers.

Upvote 0

Back