Need Info about ISP? Plz reply

• Thread starter Thread starter airtel_nike
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 40
  • Views Views 6,729
To start Internet business from where i get bandwidth with the help of leased line or something else.?
Plz reply

Apart from a leased line that's actually big enough, you'll also need licensing, some form of distribution (wired or wireless) and the supporting equipment. You'll also need a business plan, an intended audience and an idea as to what you want to actually provide.

There is a couple of threads about starting an ISP already, but maybe I can point you in the right direction if you're willing to supply more information about what you want to actually do.

what should be the qualification to start an isp..

i m still a student just asking :)

Technically no qualification is needed, but you will need to know (or have a team who knows) how to make everything work and how to operate a company, which may mean that an MBA course would be a good start.

Technically no qualification is needed, but you will need to know (or have a team who knows) how to make everything work and how to operate a company, which may mean that an MBA course would be a good start.

i like to provide internet in town for this purpose where i get license and what is the budget? badwidth kaha se lete hai ye small ISP provider

i like to provide internet in town for this purpose where i get license and what is the budget? badwidth kaha se lete hai ye small ISP provider
All ISPs purchase bulk bandwidth from Tata, Airtel or BSNL who possess an international gateway (considered to be the 'source' of bandwidth).

All ISPs purchase bulk bandwidth from Tata, Airtel or BSNL who possess an international gateway (considered to be the 'source' of bandwidth).
what is rental of this bulk bandwidth?

btw which city are you targetting for the venture?

There used to be a C class license for small ISPs only operating in a very restricted area, but I don't think they give those out anymore, so you will need a category B license. This gives you the ability to operate in any one of the 23 telecom circles. If you're planning to start in Mumbai, this would only include Mumbai, not the rest of Maharashtra or Goa.

The application fee is Rs15,000 and the entry fee for a Category B license is Rs 10 lakhs plus a financial bank guarantee of 1 lakh (valid for 1 year) plus a performance bank guarantee of Rs 20 lakhs (valid for 2 years). An annual fee of 6% of your revenue is levied (minimum Rs 50,000).

----------

Although the ceiling tariff is just under Rs3 Crores per 155mbit/s per year, I don't think anyone charges this much anymore (even though these prices are quoted on both BSNL and MTNL's websites for leased lines).

If you only buy a small amount (155mbit/s), expect to pay at least Rs4000 per megabit per month (just under Rs75 lakhs a year). If you buy as much as MTNL and BSNL do, then of course your price would be less - BSNL is paying roughly Rs900 per megabit per month, maybe a little less now.

It is considered on basis of per megabit I guess. How much, mg can answer.

It depends A LOT on how much you buy and what the term of your lease is (5 years isn't unheard of and will get you a decent enough price). It's like asking 'how long is a piece of string'.

Another thing to take in to account is the distribution - this is the part that will make or break the operation. If you're planning to go wired, it's not unheard of for cablewalas to take a 50% share of the retail price to provide your services. If you're planning to go wireless, tread carefully - wireless is a finicky fellow.

Another thing to take in to account is equipment. It's not hard to spend US$100,000 to $500,000 on routers (this would apply more to big ISPs), but you could probably get away with $25,000 to 50,000 for the smaller versions of that equipment. Also, technically you need at least two - one as a hot spare in case the original one fails.

That said, since you're starting out small, you might be best to pick up second hand equipment for about $10,000. I'd recommend Juniper over Cisco - there's a lot of second-hand Cisco equipment out there, but not nearly as much Juniper - for a good reason.

----------

Also, BSNL doesn't have a "real" International gateway - they only have a little cable going to Sri Lanka. There was a joint-venture started between MTNL and BSNL back in 2008 to establish their own International cables, but nothing has happened.

Other than Bharti Airtel and VSNL/Tata, Reliance is the other player with a major International gateway.

Back