Need Info about ISP? Plz reply

• Thread starter Thread starter airtel_nike
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 40
  • Views Views 6,729
From what i heard.. STM-1 (155mbit/s)Wholesale bandwidth costs you around 2.25 Crores/Yr and the maximum price is 2.99 Crores (set/published by TRAI)

it is true reliance and tat share his license to provide internet in village

From what i heard.. STM-1 (155mbit/s)Wholesale bandwidth costs you around 2.25 Crores/Yr and the maximum price is 2.99 Crores (set/published by TRAI)

Although the ceiling tariff is just under Rs3 Crores per 155mbit/s per year, I don't think anyone charges this much anymore (even though these prices are quoted on both BSNL and MTNL's websites for leased lines).

If you only buy a small amount (155mbit/s), expect to pay at least Rs4000 per megabit per month (just under Rs75 lakhs a year). If you buy as much as MTNL and BSNL do, then of course your price would be less - BSNL is paying roughly Rs900 per megabit per month, maybe a little less now.

On the note of price, what is the estimate of price per megabit per month for hayai right now? It'll give us an idea as of what your price per GB will be if you pay the same as BSNL.

On the note of price, what is the estimate of price per megabit per month for hayai right now? It'll give us an idea as of what your price per GB will be if you pay the same as BSNL.

All I can say is that we pay more than BSNL, but less than Rs4k/mbit/month. Ambiguous I know, but due to the legalese in the contracts, I can't give out the exact price we pay.

The only reason I know BSNL's approximate price is because as a government company they have to release this kind of information in their annual financial statements... and also they have to tender for pricing publicly.

If i start Internet service providing in my city should i require license or any companies like reliance or Tata share license i ask this because i heard about this.

If i start Internet service providing in my city should i require license or any companies like reliance or Tata share license i ask this because i heard about this.
Your agreement with your upstream provider should take care of license sharing if you are starting small and will be a reseller or sub-reseller. Some may offer you a reseller / franchise program on bandwidth basis while others may offer per customer basis.

If you want to customize your offering, yes; if you want to resell a provider who is willing to let you resell on their license, then no. The downside to this is that you can't set your own plans and it would essentially make you a cablewala, so you will need to build a distribution network (cables or wireless). For this you will need an IP-1 license to actually build the network - this is around Rs5,000 - but if there's a cablewala in your area, he may not be happy about someone else encroaching on his territory.

----------

Your agreement with your upstream provider should take care of license sharing if you are starting small and will be a reseller or sub-reseller. Some may offer you a reseller / franchise program on bandwidth basis while others may offer per customer basis.

Most go by customer.

if any companies share his license then is it beneficial to me or not, How i get benefit by providing internet service

if any companies share his license then is it beneficial to me or not, How i get benefit by providing internet service

You'll get paid a percentage of the revenue from the customers you provide. Let's say you have 1,000 people on your network and the ISP pays you Rs100 per month for each customer that you supply on their behalf, then that's Rs1 lakh per month in your hand (less tax & expenses). Of course, you'll have to build the aforementioned network, and that's the tricky bit.

Basic list of things you'll need (off the top of my head):

[*]1 or more registered companies (depends on who sets it up - it cost me around Rs1,50,000 but then my lawyers seem to be damned expensive)
[*]IP-1 infrastructure license (Rs5,000)
[*]Bulk supply of network cable & ends (Maybe Rs20 a metre + Rs10 per end)
[*]Network equipment - you could probably pick up some second-hand Cisco 2900 or 3500 series for good prices (maybe $100) - they're not fantastic devices but should probably do, you'll also probably want to put 1 cheap switch (maybe $30-150 depending on how many ports it has) in each apartment block that you supply to ensure you don't run in to the maximum cable lengths (100m) of normal network cables. Alternatively you could do a hybrid fiber/copper network using "ethernet extenders" (about $80-100 each) which generally work up to around 500m over fibre and then convert the signal at either end back to copper and in to one of the little switches you would have, in which case you'll also want a fiber switch at your office too or instead... unfortunately these aren't as cheap (starting around $500 from memory).
[*]Network tools (crimping tool, tone generator etc)
[*]Small server with Linux & FreeRADIUS installed - can be a regular PC but needs to be on 24x7 so a cheap second hand server might be better as these machines are *designed* to run 24x7. Prices vary widely, but could probably pick something up for around $100.
[*]Agreements with housing societies for cabling and power supplies for whatever equipment you might put in, whether wired, wireless or both
[*]If you decide to go wireless, you'll need WiFi equipment with the ability to authenticate each user against a RADIUS server - a Ubiquiti Rocket M2 with omni-directional antenna at each society would be a decent enough option, then you only have to connect 1 device per society to your network and being 2.4GHz requires no CPE for the users & for users who have a poor signal, antennas are pretty cheap, plus the firmware is customizable and you can also implement rate-limiting per client as well as client separation (as in, two people connecting to the same AP can't see each other)
[*]Equipment to connect to your upstream ISP (this depends on how they want to connect you to their network)
[*]Some idea of networking and how things actually work or someone who has some expertise
[*]Ensure you're not going to conflict with another cable provider in your area
[*]...and customers
[/list]
As mentioned, if you do a kind of "reseller deal" where they let you resell per customer, then you won't be able to customize your offering, whereas if you obtain a license and lease your own lines (much more expensive, but possibly worth it), you will be able to.

HTH.

Back