Need some advice on upgrading.

• Thread starter Thread starter mshiva
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 6,463
i keep posting this all over the place: puhleese get a quad core cpu and enjoy life in peace and harmony :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry about the late response, I got the new system and was a bit tied up with it, NTM a broken InterTube connection thx to hardware changes.

vishal,
I would have gone with a quad if they had the same level of GHz as Core 2 Duos. I avoid using stuff like HIPS or realtime anything that guzzles CPU power and most apps today aren't truly multi-threaded to justify going with more cores. The price difference was nominal and not the reason I chose a Core 2 Duo.

viralbug,
The PC's mainly for day-to-day use & occasional gaming.

Final config:
E8500 @3.16 GHz (became available at the last minute! E8600 still not available.)

Gigabyte EX38-DS4
I've had a bad experience with Asus in the past (fried cable modem + bluetooth dongle (both thankfully under warranty) due to faulty USB - no replacement given, 1 month taken to get the mobo fixed in another city) My vendor said their service is still poor. I probably just got unlucky but I'm not going back to them.

Corsair 2 x 2GB @ 1066 MHz (looks sturdy as hell and comes with its own fan cooling unit, I like!)

GPU: please get rid of that old 6200. get a Palit/Gecube HD4850 10-11k

Done and Done! Someone at another forum recommended the same thing and I went for it! :happy:
Palit HD4850

WD 300GB VelociRaptor (for the system)
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.11 (data and data mirror)
WD My Book Essential 1TB (external)
(Leftover) Seagate 300GB :p
I considered going for smaller drives instead of the 1TB Seagates and running them in RAID-0 but I read somewhere that software ("fake") RAID taxes the CPU for parity checks. The mobo supports RAID but I'm not sure if that qualifies as software or hardware RAID. Any idea?

Zebronics Cabinet
CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 500W PSU

Optical: Sony 20x (Liteon)

Speakers: Altec Lansing MX5021 6.5k
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 5k
i would suggest you to get a sound card. it makes a huge difference over crappy onboard sound. since i am suggesting you the above speakers, this combination will blow away everything. :D

That sounds like a fantastic recco! :thumb: I pushed the budget by 20k though, so sound devices have be postponed to next year. I'll definitely check the combo out when I do decide to purchase.

Looking from your profile, i think your from mumbai. head over to lamington road for your shopping

I live 15 minutes from Lamington Rd, which is probably not good for my wallet. :@

Thanks again for your reply.

^ congrats on your purchase.15 mins from lamington? lucky. i have to almost keep a day aside for a lammy visit.

Back