Samsung Galaxy Nexus Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 521
  • Views Views 50,992
^ Not if they don't hold the necessary patents.

So if you hold a patent, you are legally allowed to monopolize anything you want? That surely is the best way to encourage innovation!

so it's not important who comes up with the idea. it is just important who files a patent for the idea first. i find it hard to believe that all of Apple's patents are original ideas. slide to unlock? seriously? how can you defend apple when majority of their patents are not even original ideas? i can understand apple complaining about rival companies copying their hardware design (i can see that they are somewhat original and are indeed replicated by companies like samsung). but concepts like slide to unlock, voice search on phone etc etc are seriously not original ideas. so i do not see how they can claim what they are claiming. as a symbian user, i bet you find tons of apple's patented technologies already available to you way before iPhone had it.

Hardware designs? They don't want phones that are black, rectangular with a power button on top because that is how I phone looks. Did you read the suggestions that they had given to Samsung to design their future products so that they don't look like Apple products. That was hilarious. Judgements and laws should be based on reason and logic and not on what the book says. Patents will harm innovation more than anything else. By the way did apple invent the touch screen?

well you have to admit that the design of Galaxy s ii was pretty darn similar to the Apple iPhone. i can give apple that much leverage. but most of the patents they use to target android based devices are simply disgusting.

just look at this site keeping an eye on their latest patents Patently Apple

Apple Wins Patents for Inductive Charging & iOS Scrolling, Rotating & Resizing on Displays
Apple Wins Patents for Search, Mobile Device Navigation & More
Apple Wins Patents for iOS Editing on iDevices, LTE & 3D Mouse
Apple Wins Patents for Industrial Design, Future 3D Remote & Harnessing Power through Electromagnetic Induction
Surprising Win for All-New Apple iWallet Credit System Patent
Apple Wins Camera & Wide Array of Design Patents

So if you hold a patent, you are legally allowed to monopolize anything you want? That surely is the best way to encourage innovation!

On the contrary, it encourages innovation if someone doesn't want to pay for that stuff. They can then work on their own of solving the problem. It isn't like anyone is being FORCED to use the same thing across the board.

so it's not important who comes up with the idea. it is just important who files a patent for the idea first. i find it hard to believe that all of Apple's patents are original ideas. slide to unlock? seriously? how can you defend apple when majority of their patents are not even original ideas?

i can understand apple complaining about rival companies copying their hardware design (i can see that they are somewhat original and are indeed replicated by companies like samsung). but concepts like slide to unlock, voice search on phone etc etc are seriously not original ideas. so i do not see how they can claim what they are claiming. as a symbian user, i bet you find tons of apple's patented technologies already available to you way before iPhone had it.

Patents are not just about what, but also about HOW. One of the key points that are taken into consideration is if the proposal is 'not obvious' and 'cannot be 'easily derived from existing solutions'. So if say someone has a patent for swipe to unlock, and then someone applies for a patent for swipe to unlock in the reverse direction, it will not be eligible for a patent. There is way too much legal bullshit that goes into writing a patent, and make it as broadly relevant as possible. So tomorrow if someone comes with a technology to switch on your TV which is on standby, just by a touch of the screen, chances are it won't be granted a patent unless the applicant shows considerable difference in the way it is being done.

Hardware designs?
They don't want phones that are black, rectangular with a power button on top because that is how I phone looks. Did you read the suggestions that they had given to Samsung to design their future products so that they don't look like apple products. That was hilarious.

Since most people didn't get the joke, Apple later clarified on that. In any case, companies like Samsung should have enough grey matter in their ranks to come up with an original design. No big deal. A 'dead' company like Nokia came up with one.

Judgements and laws should be based on reason and logic and not on what the book says.
Patents will harm innovation more than anything else.

Not everyone is as generous as to allow others to use the outcome of their hardwork. Benevolent folks are scarce in today's commercial world.

I am one of the biggest Apple haters, but that they are definitely not to blame if someone copies their stuff for free and tries to make money out of it. It is very similar to one guy doing all the hardwork for the exam, and his neighbour ends up copying his entire paper only to get the seat that the chap who actually studied, ends up missing. It is ridiculous at the least. People like he judge who passed the outrageous decision in favour of Google are the ones who are killing innovation. Seriously, what is the motivation to invent something knowing fully well that it can be copied by anyone without your permission or compensation. One could rather just wait for someone to come up with something and then copy it. Far easier, not to say cheaper.

Well, how can u assume that the student had copied? Just because he managed to get the seat? Well, i would say the student who got the seat, would be much more knowledgeable that that other fellow. Without putting in much efforts, that student would have prepared & fared better than the "Hardworking creature", which is why he got the seat. Remember, hardwork doesnt always pay. Smartwork does. The one u r claiming to have copied, has actually done smartwork.

Not only did he get the seat, he is not a pain to the ones he is eventually giving his services.

Well, how can u assume that the student had copied?

There are no assumptions here. Samsung has been known to copy Apple time and again. I'm not saying that all they do is copy apple (or someone else for that matters). They've been original and innovative too. But that doesn't change the fact that they have shamelessly tried to reverse engineer apple's products many times.

I dunno anything about the software patents. I'm no expert in that matter neither do I have the time or energy to understand those and figure out who's right and who's wrong, but in general terms, you can't deny Samsung's"inspiration" from Apple and all it's products Samsung have not copied Apple. Here is the proof! via reddit.com

^ Are you justifying copying by saying that it is a smart thing to do?

I precisely said, its ur assumption that the fellow copied. Just because 2 people write the same thing, doesnt mean one has copied from the other. Just coz 2 people look the same, doesnt mean that they have to be twins

I precisely said, its ur assumption that the fellow copied. Just because 2 people write the same thing, doesnt mean one has copied from the other. Just coz 2 people look the same, doesnt mean that they have to be twins

I find it very hard to believe. If two people write the EXACT SAME THING, I repeat, EXACT SAME THING - not missing even a comma or space or whatever, it HAS to be from the same source, unless of course there was a brainwave and everyone dreamt the same thing with the same level of detail.

In Samsung's case, the design is a blatant copy of the iPhone. In Google's case, the function that was put up as proof was an exact replica, variable names, spaces, alignment, other formatting, logic, number of lines, number of characters, every damn thing. I am yet to come across two coders who wrote the exact same thing pixel to pixel without ever having looked at what the other was doing.

Now if someone posts

"I find it very hard to believe. If two people write the EXACT SAME THING, I repeat, EXACT SAME THING - not missing even a comma or space or whatever, it HAS to be from the same source, unless of course there was a brainwave and everyone dreamt the same thing with the same level of detail.

In Samsung's case, the design is a blatant copy of the iPhone. In Google's case, the function that was put up as proof was an exact replica, variable names, spaces, alignment, other formatting, logic, number of lines, number of characters, every damn thing. I am yet to come across two coders who wrote the exact same thing pixel to pixel without ever having looked at what the other was doing."

I would definitely say he has copied, I can't give him benefit of doubt that he had the exact same thoughts and expressed them in the very manner I did without missing anything at all.

I wrote that all by myself

Back