Should I separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ? Or keep it combined ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Crane
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 1,874
ISP
Airtel Airfiber 40mbps plan ,WiFi only plan
I have an Airtel Airfiber 40 MBPS connection and it’s running on the default settings since its installation and i have only changed the password. I was Thinking to separate both the bands as 5ghz is more wider in Wifi 6 router given by Airtel

Is it worth the hassle to separate both of them?

There is no such thing as “combine”, the only thing you are doing is keeping the SSID of the Wi-Fi radio the same.

While, this is a highly debatable topic throughout, with no accurate answers.
I'd suggest, if you have not been having any issues with connectivity, then just keep things as it is.
Keeping the Wi-Fi name the same, usually allows the client device to balance between both bands as it sees fit based on range, load, b/w utilization. (Although in such instances, your AP also needs to be smart so that it can dissociate and steer as required).

Upvote 0
Smart Connect or band steering or combined (as you say) often limits your ability to change the channel width for 2.4 GHz, like switching between 20MHz or 40MHz. This means you can’t always use the full bandwidth available. For older devices that only connect to 2.4 GHz, you might get speeds up to 300Mbps with a 40MHz channel width. But if you use Smart Connect, the router might default to 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz, which maxes out at around 65 or 75Mbps. In some cases, Smart Connect sets the router to use 20MHz for 2.4GHz and 40MHz for 5GHz, and you can’t change this. So, conclusion is, it limits your ability to customize the Wi-Fi channel width and get the performance you want.

Upvote 0
@Lolita_Magnum yes i know that 2.4 and 5 cant be combined i actually meant that smart connect feature as mentioned by @ransomware
so thats bad wording by me
anyways
i feel the 5ghz is not running at its peak capacity and the channel width too ,i heard 160mhz is quite a broad channel for data transfer resulting in faster load times
i might be wrong this tho not sure.

Upvote 0
I would prefer a single SSID (ofcourse I do have multiple SSID on different VLANs to separate out iot, guest networks etc), you don't want to keep changing the network, let the client handle it. I have multiple APs around the house as well, and almost all the time, it will seamlessly switch to the closest AP, and clients will mostly prefer the 5GHz network if available.

Upvote 0
Just change it and try it out, and setup a local speed test server on PC (best) to test your wifi's potential on 160mhz. You can download OpenSpeedTest server and test it.

Upvote 0
@Crane
We surely have some advantages and disadvantages by using individual/combined, but as far as i can see ISP is being so clever first they show speeds above the promised speed then later after if we change the wifi name, somehow the data is being capped less than the actual plan speed.
So i have observed this in airfiber where i used to get 130 mbps in 100 mbps plan, but i have taken one more connection for the new Nokia beacon router to test and have opted for 40 mbps plan, where i havend touched the router name and the speed is 250 mbps.
So i have decided no to change the router settings due to ISP's bad practises

Also special mention this time I havent paid any amount prior ro airtel, they said its a postpaid bill will get generated which will be 699+gst for wifi (nokia) and dth both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@purnavikas not even the password?
but i have always gotten 40mbps only sure the extra 3 mbps so its like 43mbps peak

im on some mysterious 499rs plan 40mbps

Upvote 0
@Crane
Yes I agree whith you @ransomware, technincally its right thought airtel has some loop holes (like 1gbps by using private ip) and glitches and iam not sure airtel can limit anytime my speeds too
Yes I am just using the password which came through sms.

Upvote 0

Back