Tata Sky DTH Service in Rains

• Thread starter Thread starter imaulik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 330
  • Views Views 65,391
inetbum , your signal strength is very weak and you made a mistake by settling for a modest 40%. Like hitman said it should be at least 80% so in case of rains it doesn't drop too low to create problems.

Also many people won't be aware of this but the most important thing is the "signal strength" and not signal quality. If your signal strength is good then your quality will be good unless there is some technical hardware issue.

Thats right !! I am up in the Himalayas and it rains 6 months here. I put up my Tata Sky in August and it rained till october and no problem. My signal strength is 85%. It snowed today and yes I lost the signal completely till I cleaned the dish. So wherever it snows you should keep the dish in accessible place.

Y'day at around 9.15PM Gurgaon, there was thunder storm and rain. the signal was going and coming intermittently and finally it went off with message NO SIGNAL and after waiting for 5-6 min. i switched off the TV . This is ridiculous What is the technical collaboration with SKY, i have watched SKY in london, the signal never went during rains in London. Tata Sky sucks. :angry:

It rains in London, it *pours* here.difference...But still only anecdotal, more ppl need to post...looking forward to this yrs monsoons :)

IMHO this is one of the problems that comes with the technology..

DTH transmissions are in KU band which is affected by rain and cloudy weather...how much a particular subscriber is affected depends on the amount of rain, type of cloud, antenna size..apparently bigger antennas allow u to hold onto the signal better..

http://www.apnadth.com/apnadth_faq.html

http://www.hindu.com/2005/08/03/stories/2005080300290200.htm

some more constraints of DTH technology i found on the net -

12. Channel capacity on DTH is limited by transponder space on satellite. Increasing channels using new transponders or MPEG-4 technology will increase cost of delivery and thus service will be costly. MPEG-4 Set-Top-Boxes are also costly.

13. DTH operators require good orbital slots to add channel capacity which may not be available.

14. As per DTH Guidelines, DTH can only be provided from an Indian Satellite. At present no satellite is available till the end of the year. So channel capacity is very limited.

6. DTH requires line-of-sight for good reception. In City areas, there may not be a suitable place for fixing Dish.

7. DTH transmission easily gets effected due to rain, snow storm, and thunder storms, causing fading affecting TV reception, sometimes for more than 36 days in a year.

apparently # 14 is not entirely correct as INSAT 4A was launched in 2005 which has 12 KU band transponders..second in this series 4C was destroyed during liftoff..

QUOTE(TechNick @ Mar 1 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]81693[/snapback]
Y'day at around 9.15PM Gurgaon, there was thunder storm and rain. the signal was going and coming intermittently and finally it went off with message NO SIGNAL and after waiting for 5-6 min. i switched off the TV . This is ridiculous What is the technical collaboration with SKY, i have watched SKY in london, the signal never went during rains in London. Tata Sky sucks. :angry:[/b]

Y'dat around 9:15/9:20 we also experienced NO SIGNAL for TATASKY in Pune for some time. Might be some technical glitch in satellite (liked it happened earlier for 1/2 hours as informed by ISRO)

I too faced the problem, but only for a couple of minutes. But the signal strenght was pretty low....around 20BTW, when it pours in delhi/gurgaon more often than not there are power cuts which results in cable black outs.So i don't see any reason for us yelling at Tata Sky ...

Whenever there is Storm or rain in Delhi the picture on Television distrotes .Also I'm getting 50% signal strength when there is no rain .Monsoons have not arrived yet and I'm facing all kinds of problem with slightest(sp?) of rain.

"Also I'm getting 50% signal strength when there is no rain" said Stuge.About a month ago, I had started a thread querying about signal strength,signal quality, signal level and BER. After some very feeble and nonchalant responses the thread, apparently, got lost in the maze.I had also sent an email to the customer care dept of Tata Sky, hoping that they might respond. It has remained a hope.What I would like to know from informed viewers( as is evident in this thread )more about this. Initially I used to receive signal strength 40 and signal level 95 and the reception was real good--no complaints whatsoever. Signal quality was 100 and BER 7. About a week back I called the technicians to look up the connection as I was receiving no signal--some loose connection which was rechecked and the rectification done at the dish end(I get it from MDU) Perhaps the recheck was too well done because immediately after this my signal strength has gone up to 50 and signal level to 121. The reception(at least to the naked eye) remains just as before --- impressive and trouble free. No change from what I was getting earlier. Signal quality 100 and ber 7(as before).Now can someone tell which is the most critical reading in all this?As an end user it matters little as long as the reception is flawless but these variations have left me intrigued.Thanks.vkr

Hmm ,But I think if the signal strength is strong about 80%,then in rains picture will not distrote? What do you think ?

Back