Ubuntu 7.10 is the hotness :)

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 20,183
well duh, i woke up early too for the Jap GP qualifying but its not on ! >:( and the espnstar website tv schedule page is also not loading fully !and sushubh, grub/ubuntu is removing those windows lines from menu.lst coz you probably put it inside the "automagic" section, put the lines before or after and you should be fine...but in any case, i have about 2 hrs left for my 7.10 download, coz i also want to try it out and report any issues so that hopefully there wont be any with the final version :)

i put them just below the ubuntu settings...

"just below"? is there a comment section that reads something like "END AUTOMAGICALLY GENERATED BLAH BLAH", try putting it after that...anyways, i'll install 7.10 later today myself and check it out. im also tempted to go to tata's croma store near my house and buy an nvidia card (7300 for rs 3000 or 7600 for rs 6000) for my old p4 agp motherboard just to get a little better desktop effects! loland woohoo the qualifying just started (1030) and its raining thats why it musta been delayed...

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), kernel 2.6.22-12-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-12-generic root=UUID=7dfb5bff-7cb6-44e8-95dc-4c6f453942e3 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-12-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), kernel 2.6.22-12-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-12-generic root=UUID=7dfb5bff-7cb6-44e8-95dc-4c6f453942e3 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-12-generic

title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), memtest86+
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

seems to have survived this time around. would check after another boot up.

as for f1... i want hamilton to win!

I needed this 'enhancement'!

the GIMP version in this update is much more usable...

ah ok, try moving it after/below the line " ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" if it goes again...

in my current ubuntu 7.04 i moved the WinXP entry *above* the comment line that starts something like "### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC BLAH BLAH"

ya, gimp 2.4 has some improvements including digital photography stuff i see at GIMP - What is coming

update:ok i installed gutsy beta a few min ago (posting from it), and it's damn good :) during the install it didnt detect windows for importing the files and settings but the grub boot menu has an entry for WinXP which works.some notes on first impressions during my first 15 min with gutsy:1. Ubuntu should have a default grub splash screen rather than a plain black background. I have to manually download ( "sudo aptitude install grub-splashimages") some screens and point menu.lst to a good splashimage (fiesta.xpm.gz for me). And right now since I make WinXP the default option, I prefer to move the entry to the top so that when Ubuntu updates the kernel the option doesnt shift one down and screw up the default choice :)2. Fsck hangs when checking my windows partitions (pressing ctrl-alt-del lets booting continue) probably because gparted screwed up a resize operation. So now I have to disable file system checking (not root) by renaming /etc/rcS.d/S30checkfs.sh to K70checkfs.sh as mentioned in the README.3. The new default wallpaper is good but a bit too dark for my liking. I prefer to set a lighter shade brown especially so that shadows are visible better.4. Evolution (email) has 2 entries, one under Internet and another under Office, they should remove the one under Internet since home users mostly check email with Firefox on gmail or hotmail or yahoo whatever. Only office users will need evolution hence the entry should only be in Office submenu.5. Ubuntu has some crappy default bittorrent client and it is not enabled in the menu. They should include a better GNOME torrent client and enable it's menu entry. I've currently installed bittornado and ktorrent and if they can work stable over few days of nonstop downloading and resume if my modem disconnects due to power cycles then I will move full-time to Ubuntu at home (already moved at work)!So, I think it's awesome that Ubuntu has squeezed in pretty much everything a home user will need into a standard 700 MB CD ISO :)We have Firefox, Evolution, OpenOffice, GIMP, Pidgin, audio/video players, search tool, games and misc accessories, all free and stable! Just the torrent client needs to be a better one...I think MS will be in trouble once they stop making WinXP available and try to force people to buy Vista, they will be helping with Linux's popularity on desktops/laptops for home and office users :)ah, and i already see 182 mb of updates available including openoffice :) currently downloading ...

deluge is for gnome i think...the default is i think single window bittorrent manager which is cool for non regular downloads...ktorrent has been fine for me tho i have nothing to download!

i am also trying out gusty now... posting from it. its nice that the user informed that he can install the non-free nvidia/ati drivers for better performance. (but why can't they just include the latest drivers in the os ?)two things that did not work for me...>>after i installed the nvidia drivers and restarted for first time ... x failed to start (or if it did i would not know cuz my monitor went to standby and the front panel leds started flashing. ... had to dig the forums a little for the remedy - sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg ....turns out ubuntu had not detected my monitor and set it to very high resolution. (its a normal LG crt monitor)>>it hangs from time to time ... just freezes totally .. no mouse movement at all... tried a bunch of things ... now seems ok since the last one hour ... maybe increasing swap helped... but otherwise i love the visual enhancements ... and also the leave message option at lock screen (can be very useful in office environment) ...also like that black flickering has gone during logindon't really care for the desktop search thingy

ah, deluge thats the name i was trying to remember, will try that toodamn updates still downloading after 2 hrs, says 40min remaining, this is why we need 2mbps unlimited :) that would have been done in 15 min flatsome more updates:adding user accounts is still buggy as in feisty, the groups get screwed up so you have to add one at a time, each time closing and reopening the user applet.fast user switching seems ok but when i switched back the unlock screen buttons wouldnt work so couldnt click "leave msg" or "unlock"leave msg is a cool feature.one remaining thing to check is the graphical bootup and shutdown whether it stays in graphics mode. for me the first boot (and only one i've done so far) it went into text mode when fsck hung... so will have to check it for future startup/shutdown cycles...well, ubuntu is sweet... and as they say "nuff said" :)

Back