Ubuntu 7.10 is the hotness :)

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 20,183
yeah. it got more polished in this version. something that i can easily recommend to people who are going to use it to access email and documents. not my cousins tho, they are videogame fans and would continue to stick with windows.i am not sure but i did not like deluge a bit.

@nish_lal: no stability issues for me, but i have a plain vanilla p4 with intel onboard i845 video :) visual effects work nicely tho.and ya, i also disabled some stuff like search tracker, bluetooth, etc but added the openoffice quickstarter daemon.i have to install VLCplayer to get all the codecs, i couldnt play a stream from di.fm

1hr 20 mins.... and just as i was abt to reply.. it froze again... dammmn .... driving me nuts... (had this on prob on fiesty tooo ... no1 reason why i stuck with edgy)i have not done the updates yet... w8ing for 12 midnight since i am already overlimit... i hope this freezeing stops after the updates...and yea one more thing that did not work for me..>> i usually make the partitions for linux in windows with partition magic but this time i chose to have the windows partition resized by ubuntu installer... it made the windows partition unreadable (but no harm done i never keep data on windows partition)btw i am also on a p4 wid intel mother board and a nvidia7300 grafix card

when i first installed ubuntu, i used the partition manager supplied by the installer to partition a blank hard disk. so i did not lose any data. i am shit scared of 'freeing' space from an existing NTFS partition. hearing your story i guess i was lucky!i am using a p4 1.8 GHz with 1 GB RAM with a VIA motherboard. Graphic Card is a 440mx 64 Megs I think.

1hr 20 mins.... and just as i was abt to reply.. it froze again... dammmn .... driving me nuts... (had this on prob on fiesty tooo ... no1 reason why i stuck with edgy)

i have not done the updates yet... w8ing for 12 midnight since i am already overlimit... i hope this freezeing stops after the updates...

I have been facing this problem since Breezy Badger. The system freezes at random,sometimes in 5 minutes, and sometimes there is no problem for hours together, even while running many heavy applications simultaneously. This was the major reason I shifted to PCLinuxOS, otherwise everything else was ok on Kubuntu.

The system freezes at random,sometimes in 5 minutes, and sometimes there is no problem for hours together, even while running many heavy applications simultaneously.
ditto here

can u please pm me your pc's specs??..

the update took a painful 3 hrs! now im installing k3b and vlcplayer.in the mean time i thought i would try ekiga even tho i dont do voip/sip net telephony, after signing up with ekiga and opening up tcp port 1720 and udp port 5060, ekiga crashes (just exits) almost immediately upon startup :)otherwise everything else has been stable so far, i couldnt tell this is a beta...only thing remaining is for me to test torrent downloading by turning my modem off and on in the middle of a download to see if it resumes automatically, if it does then it's full-time ubuntu for me baby

ktorrent works fine with rebooting modem...and as i said... do try installing smplayer :P

bah, audio streaming in rhythmbox stops working with some error after a while (1-2 hrs) of playback...

Back