Weird Issue with speedtest.net

nishantt6969

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber (300Mbps)
Router : RPi-4B (OpenWrt), TP-Link A6 (AP)
Hello guys, posting after quite sometime, this issue is bothering me too much.
The issue is, on speedtest.net website and app, when I select servers of my city (Lucknow) it gives me full speed of 350-360Mbps on 300Mbps plan. But if I choose servers of other cities, download speed hovers around 150-200Mbps.
While on fast.com, nperf, cloudflare speedtest, testmy.net and speedtest.net.in I get full speeds(300-360Mbps).
While downloading stuff from high quality servers like google drive, mega, debrid, microsoft etc gives me speed of 42-45MB/s without any drop.

My question is, why don't I get full speeds on speedtest.net?

Mostly because of peering.

You mean to say speedtest.not is not peered with airtel in my area?

Dude.. there's nothing wrong in that. And speedtest.net doesn't actually host the servers

Do a tracert to servers where you are getting lower speeds, it is likely because they are using a different ISP for transit, eg. Tata which would have limited point of interconnect or capacity in your area.
Any directly peered or smaller ISPs that buy from Airtel will be part of the internal backbone, hence a speed improvement.

how to traceroute specific server of speedtest.net?

Using the network tab in the devtools of your browser, you can find the URL of the speedtest server you are connecting to

Back