Airtel Broadband to double broadband speeds by June 2010 #airtelsucks

• Thread starter Thread starter AjayJP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,204
  • Views Views 171,111
mgcarley said:
Your information is slightly out of date and inaccurate.

MGCarley, Thanks for the detailed update from the industry point of view, as you represent in a way a broadband company in India. About Unity, it is not landing in India, but it "will synergise" it. Read the link from The Hindu newspaper The Hindu : Business / Companies : Bharti launches $300 m Unity cable system which reads".....This cable link synergises with Bharti Airtel's existing multiple high speed connectivity options from India to Singapore on i2i, and from Tokyo to the U.S. west coast...." I dont think you are an Airtel customer. If you were, you would have got less than half speeds since April 24th, as I did and I called 121, the Airtel customer care, and the recorded voice would have told you that "due the maintainence work on the undersea fiber cable, the speeds will remain affected till April 27th, which clearly does convey about some synergies happening with UNITY project. About your other statistics, you are basically agreeing with what I said, which is that there IS a way to provide it cheaper to the consumers in India, but it is not being done. TRAI may not have powers like DOT to regulate, but it has been authorized to look into the daily woes of customers. They are also the ones that defined and announced the broadband speeds at 256 kbps. If they do change it to lets say 2mbps, there is bound to be a pressure on the operators to take the speeds up, but they very well know they cannot ask for sky high prices for it simply because people wont pay as much, and that this should bring down the prices. On the other side, it may not be good for companies like yours which need to be profitable(with high margins) at the end of the day!

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Kanou said:
baka airtel, you guys are supposed to double the speed not halve it lol >.>
speed is being capped for sure as im still getting 2mbps from microsoft and a couple of other sites. rest is all at 256kbps >_>
Kanou san, I believe you are Japanese going by your name(that means "possible", right!), and the abuse "baka" that means....well, you know what! Please dial 121 and you will get to hear the recorded voice saying that due to undersea cable maintainence, the speeds will remain down till April 27th, so we need to remain patient until then. About the doubling of speeds, having asked on 121 this morning again,I was told that they have heard about it, but it is not confirmed yet. We all believe that it will happen by June 2010, as it came out in a local newspaper sometime ago. Sayonara!

thanks for the info Mr. admin, i hope the issue with the sea cables gets fixed soon~@jatin2009: lol im not japanese, im indian. i watch a lot of japanese anime though :P the word kanou does refer to possibility ^^hmmn how many people here know that the word "Hayai" is japanese for "fast"? :P

hmmn how many people here know that the word "Hayai" is japanese for "fast"? :P

Japanese is my second language... you're not the first to get that reference ;)

It was better than "nopeasti" (Finnish), "bystro" (Russian) or fast/quick from the other languages I know & tried or checked dictionaries for, including Hindi (upavaasa, turanta, gati).

gati is a courier company in india... it took me a while to realize that they were using the hindi word gati for the name.

gati is a courier company in india... it took me a while to realize that they were using the hindi word gati for the name.

Ya so then we would have had problems at the company office... No wonder they make you choose 6 potential names!

jatin2009 said:
mgcarley said:
Your information is slightly out of date and inaccurate.

MGCarley, Thanks for the detailed update from the industry point of view, as you represent in a way a broadband company in India. About Unity, it is not landing in India, but it "will synergise" it. Read the link from The Hindu newspaper The Hindu : Business / Companies : Bharti launches $300 m Unity cable system which reads".....This cable link synergises with Bharti Airtel's existing multiple high speed connectivity options from India to Singapore on i2i, and from Tokyo to the U.S. west coast...." I dont think you are an Airtel customer. If you were, you would have got less than half speeds since April 24th, as I did and I called 121, the Airtel customer care, and the recorded voice would have told you that "due the maintainence work on the undersea fiber cable, the speeds will remain affected till April 27th, which clearly does convey about some synergies happening with UNITY project. About your other statistics, you are basically agreeing with what I said, which is that there IS a way to provide it cheaper to the consumers in India, but it is not being done. TRAI may not have powers like DOT to regulate, but it has been authorized to look into the daily woes of customers. They are also the ones that defined and announced the broadband speeds at 256 kbps. If they do change it to lets say 2mbps, there is bound to be a pressure on the operators to take the speeds up, but they very well know they cannot ask for sky high prices for it simply because people wont pay as much, and that this should bring down the prices. On the other side, it may not be good for companies like yours which need to be profitable(with high margins) at the end of the day!

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Kanou san, I believe you are Japanese going by your name(that means "possible", right!), and the abuse "baka" that means....well, you know what! Please dial 121 and you will get to hear the recorded voice saying that due to undersea cable maintainence, the speeds will remain down till April 27th, so we need to remain patient until then. About the doubling of speeds, having asked on 121 this morning again,I was told that they have heard about it, but it is not confirmed yet. We all believe that it will happen by June 2010, as it came out in a local newspaper sometime ago. Sayonara!

my speeds :) did nt reduce I am still on 1MBPS dwnd speeds of 110 to 120 as it should be on 1699 plan but ya there were no more speed bursts :P

Hi admin and fellow forum-ites..

1) I have a doubt with regard to the existing old Unlimited airtel plans whose speeds have been doubled recently from 256Kbps to basic speed of 512 Kbps..Is there any Fair Usage Policy limit for this increased speed or the same speed goes forever ie.unlimited b/w consumption?

(btw I knw that now there might be speed dips cuz of underground cable repair work but am talking in general perspective)

2) also I hear from a lot of threads that airtel has been blocking torrent sites like link-removed, katz etc..for all schemes like impatience, the old UL schemes, home schemes etc.. Is there any authenticity to this piece of information or is it hearsay info?

Tks and best regards to all.

Back