Airtel Broadband to double broadband speeds by June 2010 #airtelsucks

• Thread starter Thread starter AjayJP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,204
  • Views Views 171,111
So i got a call from Airtel today and they were proposing a 1Mbps plan (known as Swift) if i paid just Rs.100 extra and shift from my current triple-9 plan that gives me 384kbs.The Fair Usage Policy on the current plan is 75GB, the swift plan being proposed has a Fair Usage Policy of 100GB.Asked them how long the offer was available but was told there is no expiry as yet for this.Not everyone got this offer he said, so it seems they are being selective but who knows what the criteria was. I was too busy the last month so only pulled about 10GB for that whole month.So then i mentioned that Hindu article that said Airtel would be dbling speeds for everybody so why did i need to avail of this offer at all. I'd get upped to 750kbs anyway for nothing extra. But he said there would be a technical difficulty with doing that, only 256 or 512 would be rounded.I asked him then whether he was joking or not, because there can be no 'technical difficulty' with doing this. Then he kept on pimping the Rs.100 worth of talk time, so then i told him you know what that ain't free you;re asking for Rs.100 for it, instead you're just upping the speed by 2.5 times for free. But he said no.So i told him i would think about this and did not move for it yet.

No double speeds yet here in Mumbai, I guess I'll have to wait till June.

So i got a call from Airtel today and they were proposing a 1Mbps plan (known as Swift) if i paid just Rs.100 extra and shift from my current triple-9 plan that gives me 384kbs.

The Fair Usage Policy on the current plan is 75GB, the swift plan being proposed has a Fair Usage Policy of 100GB.

Asked them how long the offer was available but was told there is no expiry as yet for this.

Not everyone got this offer he said, so it seems they are being selective but who knows what the criteria was. I was too busy the last month so only pulled about 10GB for that whole month.

So then i mentioned that Hindu article that said Airtel would be dbling speeds for everybody so why did i need to avail of this offer at all. I'd get upped to 750kbs anyway for nothing extra. But he said there would be a technical difficulty with doing that, only 256 or 512 would be rounded.

I asked him then whether he was joking or not, because there can be no 'technical difficulty' with doing this. Then he kept on pimping the Rs.100 worth of talk time, so then i told him you know what that ain't free you;re asking for Rs.100 for it, instead you're just upping the speed by 2.5 times for free. But he said no.

So i told him i would think about this and did not move for it yet.

got my bill today and along with it was attached a small brochure which clearly states the following-

1. people with speed below 512 kbps - upgrade to 512 kbps
2. 512 kbps - upgrade to 1 Mbps
3. 1 Mbps - upgrade to 2 Mbps

no mention of people with mixed plans like me -turbo 1299(512 day/1 Mbps night) . so i called CC ,the guy said speed upgrade is only for above mentioned plans.

I imagine that Airtel are trying to simplify their product offerings. Kudos to them.

If airtel does that, others might be compelled to do this in June. The question here, as someone pointed out is - How does the (un)fair usage policy apply here. BSNL has kept schemes now a days that are like 900/- for 512 kbps. In this scheme the first 9 gb data transfer is 512 kbps and then the speed comes down to 256 kbps.

What about 2MBPS UL people? Do we still keep paying 2999? Do we get a higher FUP?

Airtel is the most partial ISP in India.

I would agree that of all the options currently available, they have the most sane plans overall, disregarding fair usage policies and so forth. The least of all evils, as it were :)

What about 2MBPS Unlimited people? Do we still keep paying 2999? Do we get a higher Fair Usage Policy?

Yeah .. what abt ppl already havin 2mbps .. i pay 2900 per month .. will this be reduced .. ? or will they offer a 4 mbps plan .. ?

Hey Chennaiites, has double speed begun here? From the last hour I am getting 1Mbps and I am on swift 1099 plan (512/512kbps).

Back