Airtel Broadband to double broadband speeds by June 2010 #airtelsucks

• Thread starter Thread starter AjayJP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,204
  • Views Views 171,128
Just want to share my experience.I've had my speed doubled for a few weeks now: from 512kbps to 1mbps. I never received any SMS or email regarding this.But I've been getting my old speed of 512kbps for past two days. My initial thought was that I had crossed my FUP limit already. Called up airtel. I asked the CSR what my current plan was and what the fup limit on this plan was. He took a while to check around and told me three things:* that my speed has been doubled to 1mbps speed since 12th of this month.* that I am on an old plan which is not there on his screen of current plans. (Hopefully, it means I am not on the currently available 1mpbs packages with the 15GB FUP)* that my current FUP limit is 100GBThe csr seemed pretty confident on the third point but I'll have to confirm it this bill cycle to see how much the FUP really is.Regarding the 512kbps speed drop I was experiencing, he asked me to wait a few more minutes while he "refreshed a backend setting" or something. He asked me to restart the modem and my speed is now back to 1mbps.So, overall, a great evening with airtel :)

well that proves it. you are only safe with airtel if you are on an older plan.

Received a call from airtel team. He told me that there is some technical glitches in converting 512kbps to 1mbps. He also told it will be done in few days. I am on turbo 1299. he told me that they have not taken any decision on this plan yet but they will increase speed to 1mbps and dont know about fup.

Just want to share my experience.
I've had my speed doubled for a few weeks now: from 512kbps to 1mbps. I never received any SMS or email regarding this.
But I've been getting my old speed of 512kbps for past two days. My initial thought was that I had crossed my Fair Usage Policy limit already. Called up airtel. I asked the CSR what my current plan was and what the Fair Usage Policy limit on this plan was. He took a while to check around and told me three things:
* that my speed has been doubled to 1mbps speed since 12th of this month.
* that I am on an old plan which is not there on his screen of current plans. (Hopefully, it means I am not on the currently available 1mpbs packages with the 15GB Fair Usage Policy)
* that my current Fair Usage Policy limit is 100GB

The csr seemed pretty confident on the third point but I'll have to confirm it this bill cycle to see how much the Fair Usage Policy really is.
Regarding the 512kbps speed drop I was experiencing, he asked me to wait a few more minutes while he "refreshed a backend setting" or something. He asked me to restart the modem and my speed is now back to 1mbps.

So, overall, a great evening with airtel :)

Yes, you will get 1mbps, the catch is only upto a certain amount of data ( my guess is somewhere from 15-40GB), then it will drop back to your old speed and get halved once you cross 100GB.

Thing is were you asked to switch to another plan at all, or are you paying the same as with the old plan ?

well that proves it. you are only safe with airtel if you are on an older plan.
What scares me is if they migrate to you a new plan and you are unhappy will they then move you back to your older plan ? (one that supposedly does not exist anymore).

I'm not sure and i really doubt the reps on this point.

Yes, you will get 1mbps, the catch is only upto a certain amount of data ( my guess is somewhere from 15-40GB), then it will drop back to your old speed and get halved once you cross 100GB.

Thing is were you asked to switch to another plan at all, or are you paying the same as with the old plan ?

What scares me is if they migrate to you a new plan and you are unhappy will they then move you back to your older plan ? (one that supposedly does not exist anymore).

yeah they told me to move to 1mpbs plan and that i will get double speed 2mbps as i told them 2mbps rs.1999 that i'm paying for is what 1mbps rs.1399 people pay for

so i told them give me this in writing or email me and they have told me they will call me but haven't till now

lot of questions, no certain answers. Only time will tell, so wait and watch!

@solid_snake4rd: It's 1699 not 1399 for 1mbps unlimitedBtw guys, June has ended and still no speed boost. Atleast not here in Delhi. When will they be doing it??

@solid_snake4rd: It's 1699 not 1399 for 1mbps unlimited

Btw guys, June has ended and still no speed boost. Atleast not here in Delhi. When will they be doing it??

its rs.1399 in mumbai

anyways not anymore as they removed all plans except impatient plans

Yea, the thing is that there is no one answer to this and there are so many variables regarding who will get what Fair Usage Policy applied and when in a certain city/region.
At least, it's all confusing to me.

Nope, no sms or email. Just found that my speed had jumped.

AFAIK, you can't shift to an older plan.

AFAIK, you can't shift to an older plan.

he meant if you tell them to to migrate to the older plans costing them less then they will ofer that but not back you your previous plan after that.

like the situation with me:

yeah they told me to move to 1mpbs plan and that i will get double speed 2mbps as i told them 2mbps rs.1999 that i'm paying for is what 1mbps rs.1399 people pay for

if i take that 1mbps plan and they don't provide good service,no idea whether they will put me back to 2mbps plan after that if i ask them

Back