Airtel Broadband to double broadband speeds by June 2010 #airtelsucks

• Thread starter Thread starter AjayJP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,204
  • Views Views 171,137
vodafone? are you kidding me? there is no hope from any of the giants. reliance bwa could sprint a surprise but is very unlikely to. no one has the desire to change the broadband scenario in india. everyone is interested in milking the customers. i saw an Aircel advertisement in the newspaper yesterday. they have a five rupee plan for GPRS access on mobile devices. they are offering a day extra. so essentially you pay just Rs. 5 for two days. Catch? 20MB data transfer limit per day. so essentially they highlight 40MB data transfer for Rs. 5 as an exciting offer. If I am to believe mgcarley, most companies do not pay more than 10 rupees per GB of data transfer in India.

Now all we can do is wait for some other major player to enter the broadband scene in India. Any idea when companies like Vodafone are planning to launch broadband service, if at all they have such plans.

VF brought up several ISPs in NZ a couple of years ago and are offering ADSL service with landline packages but outside of Auckland, they're not considered very good.

They do hold a class-A license in India so there's nothing stopping them... and with the 3G spectrum they now own one can HOPE to see decent mobile data plans available from them soon. Or maybe not - they've long been one of the more expensive players for GPRS...

If I am to believe mgcarley, most companies do not pay more than 10 rupees per GB of data transfer in India.

10/GB?? But the NIXI site says its 25/GB.. I never knew this until recently that the ISP has to pay at all, no wonder airtel is advertising their 4mbps plans with 6GB FUP, which essentially means 6*25, or if what you said was true just 60 Rs.. If it is a 900Rs/month plan, they are making a huge profit there. Lakshmi Mittal :madness:

Exactly same thing happened with me :) :
1. I mailed them the link to the Airtel site
2. Asked them when speed gonna get doubled
3. Engineer visited my place to check my connection's speed
4. Informed me that speed upgrade was applicable to the people below 512Kbps
5. I showed him the site
6. He talked to his senior
7. He was clueless too
8. Finally, I mailed them again, now waiting for second visit perhaps :)

oh no :( now second visit....
This is really annoying, first raised the hopes then dropped them to the hard ground. Airtel shouled be very ashamed of this tactics.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing to Airtel Telemedia Services.

With reference to your e-mail dated 03-JUL-2010,you have expressed your concern regarding up gradation of speed.

We would like to inform that your request has been registered with us.The same will be addressed by 05-JUL-2010 within 17:30. The reference number is XXXXXXXX.

It is our privilege to have you as our valued customer and would like to thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to a long and fruitful association with you.

Warm regards,
Bharti Airtel Limited

10/GB?? But the NIXI site says its 25/GB.. I never knew this until recently that the ISP has to pay at all, no wonder airtel is advertising their 4mbps plans with 6GB Fair Usage Policy, which essentially means 6*25, or if what you said was true just 60 Rs.. If it is a 900Rs/month plan, they are making a huge profit there, and making the customers a big joke. :happy:

i guess mg would respond to your doubts on the estimated costing of bandwidth in india. :D

10/GB?? But the NIXI site says its 25/GB.. I never knew this until recently that the ISP has to pay at all, no wonder airtel is advertising their 4mbps plans with 6GB FUP, which essentially means 6*25, or if what you said was true just 60 Rs.. If it is a 900Rs/month plan, they are making a huge profit there. Lakshmi Mittal :madness:

its Sunil Bharti Mittal :hysterical:

and Lakshmi Mittal is not associated with Airtel. Sunil Mittal is. Lakshmi Mittal is associated with ArcelorMittal.

vodafone? are you kidding me?

there is no hope from any of the giants.

reliance bwa could sprint a surprise but is very unlikely to.

no one has the desire to change the broadband scenario in india.

everyone is interested in milking the customers.

i saw an Aircel advertisement in the newspaper yesterday.

they have a five rupee plan for GPRS access on mobile devices.

they are offering a day extra. so essentially you pay just Rs. 5 for two days.

Catch? 20MB data transfer limit per day.

so essentially they highlight 40MB data transfer for Rs. 5 as an exciting offer.

If I am to believe mgcarley, most companies do not pay more than 10 rupees per GB of data transfer in India.

That some providers may not pay more than Rs10/GB may be inaccurate. I can only give numbers pertaining to what we've been offered.

For example, we could slash our effective per-GB rate quite significantly if we signed on to that rate for 5 years. Granted, when we got our next chunk of bandwidth we could negotiate a better rate for that chunk only, but 5 years - can you imagine??

So we might buy 10Gbit/s for Rs5/GB but in 3 years it might only cost Rs1/GB... we could get the Rs1 pricing if we purchased another 10Gbit/s chunk in 3 years, but then our actual average cost would only drop to Rs 2.5/GB because we'd be stuck with 10Gbit/s costing one amount an 10Gbit/s costing a second amount. I hope that makes some sense to someone.

Realizing the way companies spend money in India, it is entirely possible that another player has been given an offer at an earlier time when bandwidth prices were higher and they're still paying a higher price.

This shouldn't apply to Airtel/Reliance/Tata but maybe it does, I can't say what their internal arrangements are, but I wouldn't be surprised if such deals were in place by BSNL, MTNL and Hathway (among others, but these 3 don't move on their tariffs much).

So it's a tradeoff: higher prices for short-term contracts or discounts for long-term contracts. Considering that we might be able to get another 50% off in a year or 2 anyway (without being stuck to the price), what would you do?

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

10/GB?? But the NIXI site says its 25/GB.. I never knew this until recently that the ISP has to pay at all, no wonder airtel is advertising their 4mbps plans with 6GB Fair Usage Policy, which essentially means 6*25, or if what you said was true just 60 Rs.. If it is a 900Rs/month plan, they are making a huge profit there, and making the customers a big joke. :happy:

NIXI is for peering. You can't peer at NIXI unless you have international bandwidth available anyway, and the latter is what we refer to when we talk about our price per GB.

In addition, because of the traffic ratios, most ISPs I've talked to see about 3:1 in:out, so it would be Rs50 per 3GB (3x25)-(1x25), which works out to a slightly more favourable Rs16.67/GB - still the most expensive bandwidth we can procure, which I think is one of the primary reasons you see routing from Airtel Delhi to MTNL Delhi going via Singapore or Hong Kong!!

PEERING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (with the exception of port charges, which for 1Gbit/s in HK several years ago was about US$50k per month - about 1 Crore - but this works out to only about Rs7/GB even at that time) - the whole purpose of an IX is to keep traffic local, so I'm sure you'd agree that NIXI is FAILING on this big-time.

When I told some of the people building networks here in NZ that NIXI charges by the GB, their jaws dropped!

Here in Hamilton, Hayai (NZ) will pay a flat fee of about NZ$1400 (maybe Rs45k) a month for peering, with no traffic charges, and it's about the same in other cities as well.

i guess mg would respond to your doubts on the estimated costing of bandwidth in india. :D

As predicted.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

@goodburn I also forgot to mention, you are forgetting about the local loop and other overheads which are actually pretty significant.

@admin I went over how I think a brief breakdown of Airtel's prices probably work quite recently. Do you remember where I posted this?

Back