Airtel Broadband to double broadband speeds by June 2010 #airtelsucks

• Thread starter Thread starter AjayJP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,204
  • Views Views 171,118
Today morning my speed was up to 2 Mbps (Freedom 1699).

I phoned immediately 121 to verify, as I got before 2 phone calls informing me about the doubling of speed and in both cases I declined, as I was not comfortable with the new applicable Fair Usage Policy.
I was informed that my plan has been changed. I objected saying that
1) I was clearly informed by phone that my plan would not be changed
2) I was not even informed about the plan change, when it was executed.

When I wanted a complaint no. the person refused and told, that as this speed change is company policy, no complaint can be entertained. I told him that in this case I would have no other choice but changing my broadband provider. He replied that I am free to leave airtel at any time.
After some time he agreed to connect me to his supervisor.

There I got the info that the speed would go to 1 Mbps after download limit of 40 GB is reached. I told him that I was clearly informed by 3 persons from airtel that my speed would go to 256 Kbps according to new Fair Usage Policy.
I asked him to give me a mail to confirm my speed after reaching 40 GB, as 256 Kbps would not be acceptable to me.

He told me that he can't do this, but gave me a complaint no. and told me to write to wecare.
I would get a final reply within 48 hours.

I did and got my reply today only, in which I was informed that according to their records my plan is unchanged. I verified again with 121 and was told the following:

The person telling you that your speed is doubled upto a download limit of 40 GB misinformed you. Your speed is doubled only for 5 GB and will then return to 1 Mbps till a Fair Usage Policy of 100 GB, after which the speed will be 512 Kbps.

So at end everything worked out fine with an extra speed boost to 2 Mpbs for the first 5 GB. :thumbsup:

PS: This was the third time that I had some issues with 121. The other two were billing related. However the issues were always solved in record time once it moved to nodal officery or now to wecare.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

After reading my post I felt it could give the wrong impression about the people at 121. So let me clarify.
In general I made very positive experiences. As told in the previous post there were cases the experience was not so good,
however problems got solved almost immediately when it moved to the nodal officer (previous billing and migration issue)
or wecare (double speed issue).

Let me give an example of what I generally experience with airtel customer care.
10.00 am mybroadband connection was not working. I phoned 121, who ensured me that my connection would be working within 24 hours.
I replied that as I have to go outstation and have some important work, they should see if it could be repaired before 3 pm.
He promised me that by 1 pm an engineer would be at my place. By 12.30 my connection was running and I was informed that some cable was damaged outside, which is rectified.

So with all the "airtel sucks" stuff we should also recognize that many a time their service is outstanding.
It's easy for me to do as I was previously with BSNL.

PS: My speed seems to be back to 1 Mbps

no one here has issue with their technical department or even the call centre guys, the problem everyone has with them is their billing issues . The new fup they are forcing on some guys and the new plans they have introduced suxx hence airtel suxx issues ,now if u wanna migrate to a new plan can u tell me 1 plan u would move to , u know the answer would be none lol hence airtel suxx thing.

now if u wanna migrate to a new plan can u tell me 1 plan u would move to , u know the answer would be none lol

can't argue with that. :P

Today morning my speed was up to 2 Mbps (Freedom 1699).

I phoned immediately 121 to verify, as I got before 2 phone calls informing me about the doubling of speed and in both cases I declined, as I was not comfortable with the new applicable Fair Usage Policy.
I was informed that my plan has been changed. I objected saying that
1) I was clearly informed by phone that my plan would not be changed
2) I was not even informed about the plan change, when it was executed.

When I wanted a complaint no. the person refused and told, that as this speed change is company policy, no complaint can be entertained. I told him that in this case I would have no other choice but changing my broadband provider. He replied that I am free to leave airtel at any time.
After some time he agreed to connect me to his supervisor.

There I got the info that the speed would go to 1 Mbps after download limit of 40 GB is reached. I told him that I was clearly informed by 3 persons from airtel that my speed would go to 256 Kbps according to new Fair Usage Policy.
I asked him to give me a mail to confirm my speed after reaching 40 GB, as 256 Kbps would not be acceptable to me.

He told me that he can't do this, but gave me a complaint no. and told me to write to wecare.
I would get a final reply within 48 hours.

I did and got my reply today only, in which I was informed that according to their records my plan is unchanged. I verified again with 121 and was told the following:

The person telling you that your speed is doubled upto a download limit of 40 GB misinformed you. Your speed is doubled only for 5 GB and will then return to 1 Mbps till a Fair Usage Policy of 100 GB, after which the speed will be 512 Kbps.

So at end everything worked out fine with an extra speed boost to 2 Mpbs for the first 5 GB. :thumbsup:

PS: This was the third time that I had some issues with 121. The other two were billing related. However the issues were always solved in record time once it moved to nodal officery or now to wecare.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

After reading my post I felt it could give the wrong impression about the people at 121. So let me clarify.
In general I made very positive experiences. As told in the previous post there were cases the experience was not so good,
however problems got solved almost immediately when it moved to the nodal officer (previous billing and migration issue)
or wecare (double speed issue).

Let me give an example of what I generally experience with airtel customer care.
10.00 am mybroadband connection was not working. I phoned 121, who ensured me that my connection would be working within 24 hours.
I replied that as I have to go outstation and have some important work, they should see if it could be repaired before 3 pm.
He promised me that by 1 pm an engineer would be at my place. By 12.30 my connection was running and I was informed that some cable was damaged outside, which is rectified.

So with all the "airtel sucks" stuff we should also recognize that many a time their service is outstanding.
It's easy for me to do as I was previously with BSNL.

PS: My speed seems to be back to 1 Mbps

the speed doubling is applicable to your old FUP not just to 5gb and you can't be FUPed twice.

they will try to bullshit you but if you demand strongly then they will change it

Like I said before, I had sent a mail and was waiting for the reply, today I got the reply after 4 DAYS, and the mail said I'll get it within 72 hours!
Here is what was in the mail :
We would like to inform you that Airtel increasing the double speed of the customer once after completion of fair usage benefits. However your current speed is 512 kbps in day and 1 mbps in night speed after Fair usage policy is 256 kbps in day and 512 kbps in night

It is our privilege to have you as our valued customer and would like to thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to a long and fruitful association with you.

And here is what I sent to them before:
I have come across a news that Airtel will double its broadband speeds at no extra cost. The following link proves the same:
Airtel breaks the speed barrier -Doubles speed for Broadband customers at no extra cost-

Now, its already July and my speeds have NOT been upgraded. I've contacted the customer care regarding the same, but they say the upgrades are only for 256 kbps, and another representative said that to double the speed you have to switch to new plans in which the speeds will be doubled but the FUP will be made 25 GB after which the speed will be 256 kbps. NOW, how can you guys in your press release says that the speeds will be doubled at no extra cost after implementing such limits? The plan is Limitedly Unlimited. Now, according to the press release my speeds should have been doubled but they have not, so I want to know till when the speed upgrade will take place? And I am not at all willing to leave my exisiting FUP of 100 GB.

Do you guys understand what was the reply? I did not get it!

im on Turbo 1299 plan(512 kbps day /1 Mbps night). since today morning i have been constantly getting 2 Mbps speed. i got no call from Airtel,i dont know whether this is a spike in speed or whether i have been upgraded to 2Mbps(which should not be possible). i will keep u all informed abt how much longer this 2 Mbps speed lasts.

What the hell airtel is doing, did they had reached a saturation point that they cant afford new customers or their management team members are gone crazy. Ireall do not know what is the matter but initially think that this FUP drama will end soon but now it seems that It will not end for years after all organizations facing the heat of 3G and BWA auctions.

Airtel called me today to tell that bandwidth upgrade would be done by 30th instead of 15th July which they had earlier said. Reliance .. here i come !!

Like I said before, I had sent a mail and was waiting for the reply, today I got the reply after 4 DAYS, and the mail said I'll get it within 72 hours!
Here is what was in the mail :

And here is what I sent to them before:

Do you guys understand what was the reply? I did not get it!

i guess they mean that after they ascertain what fair usage they giving you on this speed upgrade they will update you , which is bullshit they have nothing to do with our fair usage policy they only should upgrade our speed

Airtel called me today to tell that bandwidth upgrade would be done by 30th instead of 15th July which they had earlier said.
Reliance .. here i come !!

Long before I had an airtel connection, I shifted from Reliance to BSNL. The fact is that Reliance is even worse than BSNL in customer care.
If Reliance would offer an 1 Mbps connection unlimited without Fair Usage Policy for half what I pay now (Freedom 1699) I would not take it. In fact they could make it 2 Mbps and even then I would refuse.

Back