Airtel Digital TV DTH MYTH/FRAUD offers

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 166
  • Views Views 50,777
Same here.....paid that much extra for wiring.....it came to around 40 odd meters.And here at my place - we are surrounded by 7-10 storeyed buildings & we have a good amount of tree cover above the first 2 odd floors!!Lastly as u said, the direction too, is a problem.....my home is east facing, whereas the dish is installed facing south.....

ohhhh.. 40 meters means...almost 500Rs extra!airtel people said, whatever extra meters, it will be deducted from my account, mostly i suppose from cashback offer that they have.from my window i can see a Tata Sky facing south-east.. so does airtel need same direction, if yes then i can hang the dish right out of my window.

oh ok ..still 350Rs extra is also too much! i think in my case max 10m extra may be required.

Yeah thats right......but that is an "Irrelevant Cost" for me.....coz whichever operator i select, i will be bound to pay it!!And i hate Cable TV......

btw i wonder.. why wud they need 2 cables? because single cable holds all the frequencies and hence all the encrypted data of all channels..doesnt it?

But it seems they need 1 for "Recording" - as in, u put 1 show on record, but u want to watch another show......so 1 cable records on ur HDD, & the other shows u the channel u want to see.....and if u want to record that 2nd channel u can very well do that - but then u cant see a "3rd" channel.Thats how it goes.

No u r not getting what i mean... just like in telephone.. one cable comes from outside and then u can split them....one for telephone and one for internet... because frequencies of telephone and DSL both come on single cable.sameway... wire from DISH to TV carries all the channels (frequencies) but in encrypted form. why not simply split them near TV to get 2 feeds? i think that shud be possible, unless there is huge quality loss due to split.

Ok, i dont know about that in detail.....But then when we compare Telephones, we should remember they are analog signals, but here in DTH, there are digital.....as u also feel, it wont be possible to maintain that quality of feed then.

OK, so Airtel DTH guys came at sharp 2PM and installed DTH.

Dish was quite big...i just hope someone doesnt do harm because they fixed it at location where one can easily reach it by hand. (there was no other location)

So guys did work reasonably fast...they answered all questions...(didnt ask many as i had done lots of research anyway)

and as jymn said... they put two cables...so had to get some drilling done.. and concealed wiring was not used. i wonder why they use BLACK wire.... it looks so bad.. shud have used WHITE wire. anyway... total 32 meter wire was required (12+12+4+4)...so paid 96Rs cash for extra 8 meter.

Quality is same as cable tv (with STB), no noticeable difference... signal strength is around 70-80%

i liked the feature i didnt want to take.. that is ability to record, rewind and fast forward. i finished watching 25mins of eng match in just 5-10mins :D basically it was just test of recording feature.. had no interest in match. shud like it more when watching tennis match because in tennis u dont always get replays.

But overall not much difference except that i hope to save money in future.

engineer said... [post=503396]might cause problems in rain[/post] (click link for update on this)... i hope it doesnt cause problem... because i got DTH based on last year...there were days of non-stop rain in mumbai not many reported too much problem.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Created airtel account on their website too.. yesterday they were showing 3800Rs as balance!! i was like wow, did they make some mistake! but today balance shows just 250Rs.. i.e. cashback that they offered.

i think installation and STB amount was deducted from balance after installation and testing.

next i have to find few tips and tricks! may be some easter eggs. if someone knows something.. please post here.

Back