Hayai Broadband Launch Today (October 26 2011)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,199
  • Views Views 189,770
Status
Not open for further replies.
just land at his house and steal his network cable whenever you land in india. :D

And replace it with a shiny new fiber-optic cable with some chillies hanging from it and a CPE with marigolds tied to the box?

What, do I look like Sukhi Claus to you? :D

probably not the best place to pitch this in but this had been in back of my mind since the time you were talking of CEPs . Could we get OpenWRT/DD-WRT flashed CPE's ?

A lwn.net article which shares some interesting feature-set of the same. Distributions [LWN.net]

probably not the best place to pitch this in but this had been in back of my mind since the time you were talking of CEPs . Could we get OpenWRT/DD-WRT flashed CPE's ?

A lwn.net article which shares some interesting feature-set of the same. Distributions [LWN.net]

The short answer is both "no" and "maybe".

No:
If you specifically want OpenWRT/DD-WRT and derivatives, you'd be best to buy an older Linksys WRT54G (with the 4MB ROM, the newer ones only have 2MB) and use that for your wireless goodness.

The primary reason I can think of for this is that I'm relatively sure that the devices won't support the OpenWRT/DDWRT packages and/or if they do, then I would suspect that the packages probably do not have the necessary software to control this type of device - looking at the compatible hardware lists it appears most of the supported hardware is merely DSL or standard Broadband routers, which ours are not.

As I am merely speculating (having not spoken to Motorola about this topic yet) I may be wrong about this particular issue, so there's still a maybe:
Motorola has told me that their platform & CPEs is based on Open-Source Software (although I'm not sure under which license), so I think they would be capable of being flashed with custom firmware.

As such, if one of these particular open variants of software works, then awesome, otherwise, if Motorola let us and/or provide us with the source code (assuming it's GPL or similar), I would have no issues with making firmware available for tinkering - on the understanding of course that:

[*]The devices are property of Hayai and not of the subscriber, in which case it would be a kind of "you break it, you buy it" scenario - if a unit is returned for replacement due to being bricked, that's also the customer's responsibility, as it counts as user damage (this is also mentioned in the FAQs).
[*]There is the possibility that custom-flashed CPEs may cease to work correctly on our network if they were flashed (though I'd have to check with Motorola), or otherwise certain services may work and others may not - things like that - we can't provide any warranty that the service will work as expected if you flash our CPE with custom software.
[*]We remotely configure the routers with correct settings for each service upon them being plugged in which may cause any custom firmware to be overwritten.
[*]In the event that something has to change from our end for any reason, custom firmware may be overwritten without warning.
[/list]

Prices are constantly under revision. What actually comes out when we launch though, even I can't say for certain - I can only give a general indicator.

The main thing that has changed since the original publication of the brochure is that:

[*]Data-plan prices are about steady for now (starting at less than Rs15/GB and declining in small increments with the larger volumes bottoming out at approximately Rs12.5/GB or so - I know it's not much difference but that's pretty much as low as we can go for the moment).
[*]Flat-rate plans *pricing* hasn't changed, but the tiers have changed from 5/10/20/50/100 to 10/25/50/100/(150 or 200)
[*]Hayai Lite plans have been proposed starting at 299 going to 649 (data amounts between 5 and 30GB).
[/list]

provide a little bit Info about the tariff Plans of Hayai Lite?:imbored:
599 has much capacity? 299-- ?????

provide a little bit Info about the tariff Plans of Hayai Lite?:imbored:
599 has much capacity? 299-- ?????

I think I've detailed them on the Hayai lite thread (or the pricing thread), but anticipated prices (including tax) are:

5GB - 299
10GB - 349
20GB - 499
30GB - 649

Data amounts are currently fixed for the validity of 30 days. We don't allow data-topups on this because of it being a wireless service (and wireless being a relatively crappy medium through which to deliver high-speed Internet as compared to most wired options), and there is no rollover facility (plans sold almost at cost price at the moment, in some ways, we're relying on users not utilizing every single MB we offer them).

Speed expectations are between 5 and 30mbit/s depending on all the usual environmental factors. Anything less than 5mbit/s or so would warrant the location as being not recommended for service until we can put in a base station closer to the user.

Essentially we expect most users on these plans to be either new users or migrating from for example MTNL's data plans, where 599 gets you 2.5GB usage, and we will be selling to people based on their bill amounts, rather than confusing them with how much 5 or 10GB of data is: either we'll save them money by giving a comparable plan at a lesser price, or for the same price we'll give them much more data for the same price allowing them to do much more with their broadband connection, such as Skype video and opening those large email attachments and so forth, but with less worry about bill-shock.

Our target market for these plans is such that we are not anticipating to sell many of these plans to people wanting to download movies and games and things of that nature - a few xvid rips a month and some music maybe, but not more... for that kind of usage we will insist on a wired connection. These plans will more likely appeal to your parents than to people in the under-30's age group.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/59714-hayai-broadband-lite/10/ thread page 10
https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/59714-hayai-broadband-lite/12/ thread page 12

I think I've detailed them on the Hayai lite thread (or the pricing thread), but anticipated prices (including tax) are:

5GB - 299
10GB - 349
20GB - 499
30GB - 649

Data amounts are currently fixed for the validity of 30 days. We don't allow data-topups on this because of it being a wireless service (and wireless being a relatively crappy medium through which to deliver high-speed Internet as compared to most wired options), and there is no rollover facility (plans sold almost at cost price at the moment, in some ways, we're relying on users not utilizing every single MB we offer them).

Speed expectations are between 5 and 30mbit/s depending on all the usual environmental factors. Anything less than 5mbit/s or so would warrant the location as being not recommended for service until we can put in a base station closer to the user.

Essentially we expect most users on these plans to be either new users or migrating from for example MTNL's data plans, where 599 gets you 2.5GB usage, and we will be selling to people based on their bill amounts, rather than confusing them with how much 5 or 10GB of data is: either we'll save them money by giving a comparable plan at a lesser price, or for the same price we'll give them much more data for the same price allowing them to do much more with their broadband connection, such as Skype video and opening those large email attachments and so forth, but with less worry about bill-shock.

Our target market for these plans is such that we are not anticipating to sell many of these plans to people wanting to download movies and games and things of that nature - a few xvid rips a month and some music maybe, but not more... for that kind of usage we will insist on a wired connection. These plans will more likely appeal to your parents than to people in the under-30's age group.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/59714-hayai-broadband-lite/10/ thread page 10
https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/59714-hayai-broadband-lite/12/ thread page 12

Package Worth the price!

My customary question which happens every 2 weeks or so. Updates on your arrival to India? What exactly is holding it up and why isn't there any progress?

If you specifically want OpenWRT/DD-WRT and derivatives, you'd be best to buy an older Linksys WRT54G (with the 4MB ROM, the newer ones only have 2MB) and use that for your wireless goodness.

The classic model is now called WRT54GL, (currently) costs about Rs. 3200.

There is the possibility that custom-flashed CPEs may cease to work correctly on our network if they were flashed (though I'd have to check with Motorola), or otherwise certain services may work and others may not - things like that - we can't provide any warranty that the service will work as expected if you flash our CPE with custom software.
Cisco/Linksys markets WRT54GL as a flash-able router, I'm sure their warranty would possibly cover that. Maybe Motorola does that too?

Looking forward into the future, where Hayai hopefully has a large customer base, it would be nice to see an ISP endorsing open source hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back