Hayai Broadband Launch Today (October 26 2011)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,199
  • Views Views 189,770
Status
Not open for further replies.
My customary question which happens every 2 weeks or so. Updates on your arrival to India? What exactly is holding it up and why isn't there any progress?

Christmas.

Heh, bet that scared ya. But really, situation is out of my control. I can only but harass the respective people for an answer, but it's like extracting blood from a stone.

The classic model is now called WRT54GL, (currently) costs about Rs. 3200.

Cisco/Linksys markets WRT54GL as a flash-able router, I'm sure their warranty would possibly cover that. Maybe Motorola does that too?

Looking forward into the future, where Hayai hopefully has a large customer base, it would be nice to see an ISP endorsing open source hardware.

Motorola doesn't specifically market the device as flashable, but from our side at least I believe it's highly customizable. In short: basically, I wouldn't flash our CPEs if I were you - especially with software like DDWRT and such which is not compatible and from what I've read, completely lacks a large portion of the necessary code to run many of the router's functions... in other words, it might become a glorified access point, but it would fail to connect to our network.

However, like I have said, if Motorola gives us something that a user would be able to look at, customize and consequently flash the router with, then depending on which license it has been developed under, I believe we would be required to make it available anyway.

say mgcarley, wont the TRAI bring down a notice on you if you add FUPs to your plans ?? not that I want any FUPs (they're g*y) but as I see it TRAI clearly mentions that ISPs should provide contention ratios for all of their plans...i know this is noob-lord question but I was just thinking about how to go about such things :|

say mgcarley, wont the TRAI bring down a notice on you if you add FUPs to your plans ?? not that I want any FUPs (they're g*y) but as I see it TRAI clearly mentions that ISPs should provide contention ratios for all of their plans...

i know this is noob-lord question but I was just thinking about how to go about such things :|

Our contention ratio (within the network) is negative - for every 1mbit/s we advertise as being available between our office and the customer, the actual available capacity is not less than 2.6mbit/s, though I'm expecting that if I get my way and we're able to pick up dark-fiber instead of purchasing a rated speed, this will increase to about 30mbit/s per subscriber.

Our contention ratio outside the network is well less than the prescribed limits - it's in my spreadsheet somewhere but outside the network from memory is about 1:19 for residential customers (not counting peering, which I think reduces it to about 1:10 or 1:14 or something).

The good news here is that our customers should be less affected by contention ratios than customers on other ISPs for no other reason than the higher speeds - transfers finish quicker, lines free up and are open more often than they are saturated by any given customer (ad nauseum).

And no, the TRAI doesn't really have any issues with FUPs, so long as they are clearly published. We don't have one except for the reasonable use expectation and that individual customers with excessive usage will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, though we will probably have to end up publishing a "recommended usage" guide to go with that giving certain numbers per plan, which as I've always said, would be more than reasonable, all things considered.

Our contention ratio (within the network) is negative - for every 1mbit/s we advertise as being available between our office and the customer, the actual available capacity is not less than 2.6mbit/s, though I'm expecting that if I get my way and we're able to pick up dark-fiber instead of purchasing a rated speed, this will increase to about 30mbit/s per subscriber.

Our contention ratio outside the network is well less than the prescribed limits - it's in my spreadsheet somewhere but outside the network from memory is about 1:19 for residential customers (not counting peering, which I think reduces it to about 1:10 or 1:14 or something).

The good news here is that our customers should be less affected by contention ratios than customers on other ISPs for no other reason than the higher speeds - transfers finish quicker, lines free up and are open more often than they are saturated by any given customer (ad nauseum).

And no, the TRAI doesn't really have any issues with FUPs, so long as they are clearly published. We don't have one except for the reasonable use expectation and that individual customers with excessive usage will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, though we will probably have to end up publishing a "recommended usage" guide to go with that giving certain numbers per plan, which as I've always said, would be more than reasonable, all things considered.

Thanks for the reply, so another question in the above mentioned case is that... we'll actually get more than the specified 5mbps/8= 640kbps?? on p2p/downloading/??

Thanks for the reply, so another question in the above mentioned case is that... we'll actually get more than the specified 5mbps/8= 640kbps?? on p2p/downloading/??

That depends far too many factors. In short, you'll almost definitely get at least 5mbit/s up to our network's edge, but after that, it's anybody's guess what you'll get to the rest of the world. After all, we are not selling you a leased-line.

That depends far too many factors. In short, you'll almost definitely get at least 5mbit/s up to our network's edge, but after that, it's anybody's guess what you'll get to the rest of the world. After all, we are not selling you a leased-line.

Well I'm fine with the pre-specified speeds as it is, what more can ya ask?? not much apparently!!

thanks a lot :)

mgcarley,

I have tried checking many times your web site but every times I get message it will be back soon and one link which talks about the plan. but every time I try to open that link it goes to Google docs which is blocked by web sense in my company as they don't allow any personal storage web site in the office.

Now my question, why don't you upload the plans to your own web server rather than posting on Google docs web site.

Looks like you are reading Hayai broadband posts for the first time.
The service has not yet launched, so to say Hayai cannot provide service yet.. and there is no point in keeping up and maintaining a web site unless you are able to provide service to customers.
When the original tariff plans were uploaded, then also (sometime in 2009) (I personally don't know as I came over a year later here,) the original launch date was declared as 1 jan 2010. But due to some problems, the service couldn't be launched. When they launch it this time, they will keep the plans on the site itself.

mgcarley,

I have tried checking many times your web site but every times I get message it will be back soon and one link which talks about the plan. but every time I try to open that link it goes to Google docs which is blocked by web sense in my company as they don't allow any personal storage web site in the office.

Now my question, why don't you upload the plans to your own web server rather than posting on Google docs web site.

They are hosted on our website. That Google docs URL is merely a cache - you'll notice the url=http%3A%2F%2Fhayai.in%2FHayai_PROPOSED_Home_Plans_Brochure_May2010.pdf in your address bar.

But the plans aren't currently online, and won't be until the service launches.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Actually was gonna launch its service 2 years back, but due to heavy regulations and due to various delay of equipments HAYAI is still late for its launch date.

You mean 1 year back, and the delays are thankfully no longer to do with Equipment. It's 99.99% sure now that we're on Alcatel Lucent equipment for everything - both fiber and weireless, provided by Alcatel Lucent India.

Umm.... ALCATEL also made phones/still making those dumb phones.

But EQUIPMENTS for broadband is different thing i guess.

Yeah, but that was a long time ago. Ericsson likewise had such devices, and old Nokias too.

I'll put it this way:

Alcatel's latest wireless base stations (released YESTERDAY) are about the size of a Rubik's cube (according to my sales manager, Mr Rajesh), and I believe almost if not as powerful (and handling the same number of users and all that). I'm not 100% sure which style of wireless, it may be their cellular nodes, but it came up for about 5 seconds on a conference call I had with Alcatel in Delhi and my CTO in Mumbai about 2 hours ago.

Alcatel's latest GPON equipment (also released within the last week or so) is capable of up to 10Gbit/s down, 2.5Gbit/s up (the current generation is 2.5Gbit/s down, 1.25Gbit/s up). And that speed is to the customer - that's not on the backbone or anything like that. 10G GPON is here, it has arrived, and it can be made commercially available, though we'll probably only provide such speeds to like, MNCs and Universities for now.

Depending on the price of the actual equipment, instead of being a 2.5Gbit/s PON network, it may now be a hybrid 2.5/10Gbit/s network - but those details still have to be hashed out.

nice :) but i guess it could be a diff model. i hope they have black too coz white color can get seriously dirty :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back