Hayai Broadband Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 46,492
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do provide connection with this method, can one expect stable speed with it? Or will the speed keep fluctuating?

With WiFi it's subject to interference, so... depends on individual buildings. It might rock in some places and suck in others. Naturally, we'd try to ensure the signal penetrates sufficiently to be usable by all, otherwise we might just have to put in more equipment - probably one is needed for every 4-5 floors, each connected to it's own GigE fiber running onward to the rest of our network...

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

hehe. i had take a package for the wireless internet only if it supported smartphones. but it would be cool to have it for laptops too for users who travel around the city (for work or leisure).

If you had a Wimax capable phone, as far as I know it should work with this particular service... otherwise USB dongle required, since at the moment we're not doing any work in the 3G arena.

But our "roaming WiFi" would also be useful where available (cafes etc).

Ye gods... I just realized we might end up with 3 separate wireless products!

If you had a Wimax capable phone, as far as I know it should work with this particular service... otherwise USB dongle required, since at the moment we're not doing any work in the 3G arena.

What will be the difference in speed in 3G and wimax (according to the infrastructure and instrument available in indian market), i already know wimax is just for data based services(atleast for now).

What will be the difference in speed in 3G and wimax (according to the infrastructure and instrument available in indian market), i already know wimax is just for data based services(atleast for now).

It depends entirely on the equipment that the provider decides to deploy. New 3G equipment should give ~14Mbit/s, most WiMax equipment should give about 40Mbit/s.

Most of the time you are limited in bitrate to an arbitrary rate by the provider, otherwise by movement, distance, interference et al ad infinitum, or in the case of 3G, most people's handsets supporting only up to 3.6 or 7.2Mbit/s.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

And WiMax is well suited for voice service ;)

What will be the impact of current BWA on WiMAX scene. Will this auction mean WiMAX will provided all over the country and not just limited part of metro city?

(sorry for taking thread offtopic, I promise this is the last one :))

What will be the impact of current BWA on WiMAX scene. Will this auction mean WiMAX will provided all over the country and not just limited part of metro city?

(sorry for taking thread offtopic, I promise this is the last one :))

Not that much really... hopefully now that the major players have their own frequencies, if applied to both existing equipment and new deployments, there will be less interference and better performance overall. I don't think it will invoke too many alterations in the market, though hopefully now the providers will want to capitalize on their investments and do some much larger rollouts.

As you can imagine, I spend a lot of my waking hours planning and thinking about every aspect of Hayai that one could possibly imagine. If I'm not doing that, I'm probably researching about equipment, network models, bandwidth optimization, reading the manuals and tech specs of equipment from all different vendors.

Anyway, the subject of today's post is that I'm thinking about offering a kind of "Hayai lite" plan.

Flat-rate, 5 or 10... or even 100mbit/s. Fair Usage Policy ~25GB. Speed reduction to ~256kbit/s. Rs999.
Flat-rate, 5 or 10... or even 100mbit/s. Fair Usage Policy ~50GB. Speed reduction to ~256kbit/s. Rs1399.
Flat-rate, 5 or 10... or even 100mbit/s. Fair Usage Policy ~100GB. Speed reduction to ~256kbit/s. Rs2099.

More than that then we start venturing in to our true flat-rate plans.

Clearly these are not aimed towards downloaders, but probably more designed to "compete" or at least compare with Airtel, Beam, BSNL, Tikona etc various Fair Usage Policy plans.

I don't really like the idea of anyone using 256kbit/s ever, but it would be for those who want the piece of mind of a fixed price and no topups required, but the internet stays on etc etc etc... light users.

Like I said: just a thought. Yes? No? Maybe? Comments?

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

sorry...my bad...actually my reply is to the thread above.....contrary to the discussion here,i think the 'hayai lite plans' are really good..... the reason being that these plans can be placed as a head on challenge to the so called 'Fair usage policy' unlimited plans of other ISP providers such as Airtel,reliance,BSNL etc... these plans,in fact,provide a clearer picture of how hayai is much more value for money that what other ISPs provide

These plans also highlight the fact that what other ISPs offer are not truly 'unlimited plans'...however,i do feel that the speed should be capped to 512 kbps/s instead of 256 kbps/s....coming down from say 5 mbps/s or 10 mbps/s to 256 kbps can be too hard to digest :p

sorry...my bad...actually my reply is to the thread above.....contrary to the discussion here,i think the 'hayai lite plans' are really good..... the reason being that these plans can be placed as a head on challenge to the so called 'Fair usage policy' unlimited plans of other ISP providers such as Airtel,reliance,BSNL etc... these plans,in fact,provide a clearer picture of how hayai is much more value for money that what other ISPs provide

These plans also highlight the fact that what other ISPs offer are not truly 'unlimited plans'...however,i do feel that the speed should be capped to 512 kbps/s instead of 256 kbps/s....coming down from say 5 mbps/s or 10 mbps/s to 256 kbps can be too hard to digest :p

Someone gets my thinking :)

Maybe it could be 512k, but at the end of the day *it shouldn't matter* what the speed drops to basically because back in the real world I don't know too many grandparents who care about their seed ratio :P

The availability of Internet at any speed once the cap is reached would be intended merely as a failover to ensure that it continues to work in the unlikely event that the cap is, in fact, ever reached.

There are other "creative" ways we could look at making this type of plan work. We could make it such that services like Bittorrent are essentially not available on this plan thanks to fairly drastic traffic shaping, and then sell the plans at our cost price on the basis that few people customers on this plan are going to reach the cap...

This might mean we could hypothetically get prices in the ranges of:

[*]5-10Mbit/s, 10GB FUP: Rs 550-600
[*]5-10Mbit/s, 20GB FUP: Rs 680-730
[*]5-10Mbit/s, 30GB FUP: Rs 810-860
[*]5-10Mbit/s, 50GB FUP: Rs 1070-1120
[/list](Sorry, these are rough and off the top of my head, don't expect these prices until I can determine whether they'd be even feasible)...

Considering that without stuff like BitTorrent (or very limited use thereof), most people on these plans wouldn't reach the cap, this might allow the plans to be somewhat profitable.

I mean, let's use the example of all the people on MTNL data plans, such as my father-in-law. I think he's on a 2Mbit/s plan with 2.5GB... Rs598. He probably uses about 500-600MB over the cap every month, and thus it ends up costing him close to Rs1000 (why he wont change to 512k unlimited I have no idea)...

So a plan like this at Rs550 would end up rocking his world, and I don't think his usage would change much - because of this, essentially we'd pocket the 7GB as profit, and he'd never experience the effects of a speed decrease, and thus we'd make about the same (again numbers from my head) on this per-GB as the data plans (in other words, not much).

Keeping this in mind, and before everyone starts jumping and down about such plans not having BitTorrent available... Hayai Zone would still be there, so some nice possibilities for P2P would still exist.

I think the 'hayai lite plans' can cover a much wider audience......your customer profile ( e.g your father-in-law ) are the types perfectly suited for the lower end plans ( say 25 GB) but i think the 50 GB and 100 GB have the potential to attract a lot of regular usersLets take the example of the 50 GB plan where a user can fairly download 1 or 2 movies a day ( assuming 2*700 MB ) so that would be roughly say 35 - 40 movies a month.This i assume would be after the user keeps aside some MBs for his usual surfing , youtube and other stuff.Now i can see a lot of users happy with that kind of usage limit and speeds and the peace of mind that the connection wont go bust after the limits are exhausted.Now apart from the real power users who would download heavily and fall short of network abuse ( who would go for the flat-rate plans),the 50 GB and 100 GB lite plans can cover a lot of regular users who are looking for quality speeds at value for money ( lets say the airtel 4 mbps type of customer ).This is the very reason why i feel that bittorrents should not be banned. traffic shaping for such customers would ruin all the fun.maybe it works for the sub 25 GB plans but not for the higher ones.Maybe there could be something like per day GB limits depending on plans say a 1-1.5 GB torrent limit per day for a 50 GB plan ( I have no idea if tats feasible for you to track users on a daily basis :redface: )

I think the 'hayai lite plans' can cover a much wider audience......your customer profile ( e.g your father-in-law ) are the types perfectly suited for the lower end plans ( say 25 GB) but i think the 50 GB and 100 GB have the potential to attract a lot of regular users

Lets take the example of the 50 GB plan where a user can fairly download 1 or 2 movies a day ( assuming 2*700 MB ) so that would be roughly say 35 - 40 movies a month.This i assume would be after the user keeps aside some MBs for his usual surfing , youtube and other stuff.Now i can see a lot of users happy with that kind of usage limit and speeds and the peace of mind that the connection wont go bust after the limits are exhausted.Now apart from the real power users who would download heavily and fall short of network abuse ( who would go for the flat-rate plans),the 50 GB and 100 GB lite plans can cover a lot of regular users who are looking for quality speeds at value for money ( lets say the airtel 4 mbps type of customer ).This is the very reason why i feel that bittorrents should not be banned. traffic shaping for such customers would ruin all the fun.maybe it works for the sub 25 GB plans but not for the higher ones.

Maybe there could be something like per day GB limits depending on plans say a 1-1.5 GB torrent limit per day for a 50 GB plan ( I have no idea if tats feasible for you to track users on a daily basis :redface: )

Well... since these plans are aimed at Light Users, not downloaders, I think restricting BT is the best way to go here. We have fully fledged data and flat-rate plans for those that wish to use BitTorrent... 100GB works out to around Rs2k a month including tax (I think it's 2043 to be exact), and the delivery speed is 100 Mbit/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back