Hayai Broadband Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 46,492
Status
Not open for further replies.
well the problem can be simplified if you can have tools that can show the user his exact usage at any given point of time. have views that are simple to understand for old and non-techie folks... funds consumed till now. funds remaining at the moment. stuff like that. this can work well with prepaid bundles of internet access.

Edited my previous post, guess you missed it since you already replied.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Thats a LOT of money for someone who doesn't care much about their PC. My dad refuses to pay Rs.100 more to get a speed bump from 384kbps to 1Mbps. Aunties and uncles are cheap..very very cheap.

...Yes... but then again... for those on data plans, the basic way to prove our point is "let's see your latest bill... ok so you used 3.2GB last month. It cost you Rs1200. We'll give you the 5x as fast, same amount of data for half the price".

If they're already on a 256kbit/s UL connection at ~750 a month, then we can find out how they use the net and in all likelihood offer them a better deal. If they're already paying 750 a month and downloading only 10Gbytes in that month, we'll say "well how would you like to pay less for the same".

Basically it comes down to proving cost effectiveness against what they already have.

well you cannot cater to individual customers by checking their existing surfing habits!

hehe. he would be risking the possibility users get spoilt and change their browsing habits significantly. :D

well the problem can be simplified if you can have tools that can show the user his exact usage at any given point of time.

have views that are simple to understand for old and non-techie folks... funds consumed till now. funds remaining at the moment. stuff like that.

this can work well with prepaid bundles of internet access.

Since all of our plans are currently prepaid, this was kind of the plan.

Show the amount remaining in Mbytes, Gbytes (and the rupee-value associated with that)... used this month, use per month, an average line... charts, graphs... perhaps even a plan-change suggestion if there is a better, cheaper alternative... case in point, someone who downloads 50GB a month on the 5mbit/s flat-rate plan might be better off on a 60GB data plan which is cheaper price.

yeap. a feature like that is going to be useful. users call in. operator checks the user's monthly usage. advice on a cheaper plan that can work out better for the user.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

you are actually going to struggle getting this segment of the market to switch to you from their existing solutions...

i have seen a lot of folks who are sticking with MTNL or BSNL because they already have a landline from them. and they prefer the simplicity of staying with them.

my nana for example... he was with MTNL for a long time and he struggled with the quality of service. it was me who pretty much forced him to get an airtel connection. he is now pretty happy with airtel and even uses their landline regularly. though he keeps the old MTNL connection for the number alone.

well you cannot cater to individual customers by checking their existing surfing habits!

No, but it would be in the case of either:
1. The initial consultation by our rep or
2. Maybe a questionnaire on our site... kind of an automated "Which plan is right for you?" thing. I've seen this around...

When you put it that way it sounds good. How would speed matter here? Can't you just give them 100Mbps?

I assume you're talking about the parents thing.

hehe. he would be risking the possibility users get spoilt and change their browsing habits significantly. :D

We'd rather they didn't, but based on my initial research last year, we think that most of us downloaders would increase our usage by about 60% (that's what we're trying to cater for with most of the other plans... that's why our lowest flat-rate plan is still 2.5k and why we havent gone to any flat-rate options between 1 and 2k til I came up with this.)

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

yeap. a feature like that is going to be useful. users call in. operator checks the user's monthly usage. advice on a cheaper plan that can work out better for the user.

Could also be done online through "My Hayai" portal :)

you are actually going to struggle getting this segment of the market to switch to you from their existing solutions...

i have seen a lot of folks who are sticking with MTNL or BSNL because they already have a landline from them. and they prefer the simplicity of staying with them.

my nana for example... he was with MTNL for a long time and he struggled with the quality of service. it was me who pretty much forced him to get an airtel connection. he is now pretty happy with airtel and even uses their landline regularly. though he keeps the old MTNL connection for the number alone.

We can use landline numbers to determine exact locations of households :)

I agree that it will be difficult to get some people to switch. But for those that do, and if we provide them excellent service (as the older generation in India expect... and rightly so) they're more likely to talk about how great we are to their friends for being simple, plug & play, hassle free etc

Besides, if they're anything like my parents/grandparents, they'd probably ask our generation for their opinion anyway (or be forced in to switching like you did)

:)

For people desiring to have a fixed outgoing, another option is ask them to take data plans and charge them Rs. 100 extra per month wherein as and when their data gets over, they will be automatically converted to 256 Kbps unlimited plan till end of month or till 'new data' is bought. Example: For Rs. 747 (instead of 647) 6gb @100Mbps and 256kbps unlimited after 6gb gets over.

hayai had never had a 'catch' in any of its plans ( infact showing transparency by removing fair usage policy on its flat-rate plans)....wonder if restricting BT would lead people to think otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back