Hayai Broadband Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 46,492
Status
Not open for further replies.
For people desiring to have a fixed outgoing, another option is ask them to take data plans and charge them Rs. 100 extra per month wherein as and when their data gets over, they will be automatically converted to 256 Kbps unlimited plan till end of month or till 'new data' is bought. Example: For Rs. 747 (instead of 647) 6gb @100Mbps and 256kbps unlimited after 6gb gets over.

That is in a way the purpose, but I also raised the point in post #41 of this thread that I really want to avoid being yet-another-256kbit/s service provider. I loathe the idea of any of my users being restricted to anything less than 2mbit/s at any time on our network.

India needs to get over this 256k hump. Face it, 256k sucks, but your providers have been feeding you the "256k is fine" excuse for so long it seems to be embedded in all your heads.

If we let everyone slip to the 256k "comfort zone", then everyone will just use 256k, the network will suffer from a zillion people transferring at slow speeds, then even those paying for speed won't get it.

My official stance on 256k is that 256k should be a *last resort* and nothing else. If you want 256k services, please stay with your existing ISP, I do not want you. If you want speed, come to us, I will welcome you to our service with open arms (figuratively speaking).

The "lite" plans as proposed in this thread are aimed at people who are currently ripped off by other ISPs as I've described a couple of situations on these pages, but who are not the "heavy downloaders" we are otherwise trying to cater for with most of our other plans.

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

hayai had never had a 'catch' in any of its plans ( infact showing transparency by removing fair usage policy on its flat-rate plans)....wonder if restricting BT would lead people to think otherwise

BT restrictions would be ONLY for the lite plans, because the lite plans are aimed at people who probably will not touch the cap, and so we can offer them nearly at cost and still make a profit comparible to our data plans (a few Rs per GB... it's not much... it will increase as we get our prices down... that's why I'm trying to push our wholesale prices down even now!)

MgCarley, I know u hate anything less than 2Mbps, but I thought u started this 256 kbps thing here :)I also understand that you are not interested in those subscribers who have a budget of

MgCarley, I know u hate anything less than 2Mbps, but I thought u started this 256 kbps thing here :)

On the premise that the users of these plans would not be hitting the FUPs and would never experience the hell that is 256kbit/s, yes.

I also understand that you are not interested in those subscribers who have a budget of

On a slightly related note, we could possibly add an "automatic renewal" facility to data plans too... when you're approaching your cap, we send you an SMS saying "You are at 90% of your usage level. Would you like us to automatically add another XX GB to your account?" (where XX is the number of GB you had purchased previously) - and you SMS "YES" or "NO" to some shortcode.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Excellent idea! In fact even the rentals cal also be renewed every month automatically.

Excellent idea! In fact even the rentals cal also be renewed every month automatically.

For that we would need to hold on to your payment details or establish a direct debit...

Hayai Lite prices - we're looking at price points starting at just Rs299, but nothing over Rs999 (including taxes).Hayai Lite would NOT be suitable for uses like bit-torrent (so, people on IBF are probably not our audience for Hayai Lite). We would actively discourage users wishing to purchase it for that purpose in our advertising.We are looking at either data-only plans (~10 to ~50GB) or Flat-Rate with FUP. Or both, in which case probably the highest plan (for all I know at the moment, it would rival the Rs750+tax plans currently offered by BSNL etc) would be flat-rate with the rest being data only.I imagine something like this:Rs272 (Rs299) - 10GBRs407 (Rs449) - 20GBRs543 (Rs599) - 30GBRs770 (Rs849) - Flat-Rate with 45GB FUPSpeed: 5mbit/s. Hayai Zone etc still included and not counting in these data amounts, but not heavily advertised because the target audience (your parents and grandparents) probably won't care.Ideally I want all of the plans to be flat-rate as in pricing, so each plan would have an FUP similar to the values above with a speed drop to 256k after that is reached (but it should be unlikely that anyone in the target audience would reach that limit).I'm trying to work out how to word everything - I'm thinking that the plans should be named in a way that reflects the typical usage pattern we can expect... the 10GB plan would be "Email mania (20,000 large emails)" the 20GB plan would be "Audio Chat (12 hours per day)" the 30GB plan would be "Video Chat & Youtube (8 hours per day)" or something like that so that, while the FUPs/Limits would be clearly published, we don't have users asking "how much is 10GB?" - they shouldn't have to worry about that.In reality we probably wouldn't be targeting the 256k unlimited users of BSNL, MTNL etc, we would be targeting the users for example on MTNLs 599 2mbit/s limited plan which offers 2.5GB - we give them 20GB (8x as much) for Rs210 less which then goes towards the cost of their phone line (I'm guessing most people who are not on combo plans pay about Rs200-300).

so in hayai lite ...45gb plan will be for rs849 {with 5mbps speed}& includes hayai zone.......& normal plan with 45 gb limit cost something around rs 1250 {100mbps}but i think u have said before that speed doesnt matter in cost ?

so in hayai lite ...45gb plan will be for rs849 {with 5mbps speed}& includes hayai zone.......& normal plan with 45 gb limit cost something around rs 1250 {100mbps}

but i think u have said before that speed doesnt matter in cost ?

Hayai Lite is wireless, not fiber, resulting in the speed difference and why we would advertise it as a lite service, not suitable for bittorrent and gaming and whatnot.

The delivery speed could be a higher than 5mbit/s, but we can only anticipate bitrates of about 5mbit/s per household.

I hate to say this, but we could also take a page out of Tikona's book (how well it works I don't know but it's an idea nonetheless) - they have plans which give a certain amount of GB, but if you go over the limit, they charge you up to a certain point before they restrict your speed, so in the case of the 45GB/FUP plan mentioned above it could be:

Rs770 (Rs849) - Flat-Rate with 45GB Fair Usage Policy, if you go over that limit, maximum price for that plan is Rs905 (Rs999), usage 55GB, thereafter restricted in speed to 256k or whatever. Tikona Digital Networks - Plan For City - Mumbai (See circuit breaker plans).

Yay? Nay? Good idea? Stupid idea considering the people using Hayai Lite are unlikely to hit 45GB in a month? Way too convoluted to understand? Yeah it probably is. Forget I said anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back