Hayai Broadband Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 46,492
Status
Not open for further replies.
K, cool. It seems like i have ran out of questions to pester you with :PWill come by later if i have any more doubts/queries/suggestions and so on ...

I have been going over some threads in this section with interest. A lot is presumed about what the older generation wants. I am 54. Perhaps I can give it to you from this particular horse's mouth.I currently use MTNL 495 unlimited combo which gives me 320 kbps plus rent free landline phone for rs 495 a month.I hardly use it in the day time except on weekends. During the week, my wife uses it mainly for browsing and email. One important application for us to use is Skype and some other VOIP applications.The problem is that I also use uTorrents and sometimes also have files being uploaded via ftp to web storage. Now the issue for me is that my VOIP quality is severely affected because uTorrents and FTP seem to grab all the throughput available leaving very little for VOIP. In fact, when I use the speedtest of MTNL or Speedtest.net, they report reasonable (considering my plan) speeds only when I turn off utorrents and ftp. So my only option these days is to stop those transfers when I skype.Thats a bit of a pain. I believe with my present nature of usage, a 1 mbps plan would work well with an FUP limit of say 10 GB and fall back to 512 kbps beyond FUP limit.How about a decent plan for that kind of usage?One more thing that worries me. Everytime I visit this section of the forum, I am reminded of that ad on TV where the girl says, "Its all talk, talk, talk. Proof is also needed." So far my impression is that Hayai is ephemeral - a mirage. The expected date keeps extending like a typical government project in India. Even the commonwealth games fiasco pales in comparison.

whatever the type of internet connection you use, torrents would probably saturate it completely. your only choice would be to limit the number of connections and data transfer speeds to let VoIP work. internet speeds in india have not reached a level where you can torrent while voice chatting! in fact, in most cases my 1mbps line is pretty crappy for voice if airtel is acting up and behaving not nicely.

I have been going over some threads in this section with interest. A lot is presumed about what the older generation wants. I am 54. Perhaps I can give it to you from this particular horse's mouth.
I currently use MTNL 495 unlimited combo which gives me 320 kbps plus rent free landline phone for rs 495 a month.
I hardly use it in the day time except on weekends. During the week, my wife uses it mainly for browsing and email. One important application for us to use is Skype and some other VOIP applications.
The problem is that I also use uTorrents and sometimes also have files being uploaded via ftp to web storage. Now the issue for me is that my VOIP quality is severely affected because uTorrents and FTP seem to grab all the throughput available leaving very little for VOIP. In fact, when I use the speedtest of MTNL or Speedtest.net, they report reasonable (considering my plan) speeds only when I turn off utorrents and ftp. So my only option these days is to stop those transfers when I skype.
Thats a bit of a pain. I believe with my present nature of usage, a 1 mbps plan would work well with an FUP limit of say 10 GB and fall back to 512 kbps beyond FUP limit.
How about a decent plan for that kind of usage?
One more thing that worries me. Everytime I visit this section of the forum, I am reminded of that ad on TV where the girl says, "Its all talk, talk, talk. Proof is also needed." So far my impression is that Hayai is ephemeral - a mirage. The expected date keeps extending like a typical government project in India. Even the commonwealth games fiasco pales in comparison.

A lot is presumed about what the older generation wants, but from my understanding of what you're written, what we're proposing for Hayai Broadband Lite is pretty much "on the money".

The specifications of the product would fit the criteria you're looking for - being a wireless product, it would be cheaper and faster than the wireline product and would fit in to the same price-range as your existing plan - speed up to 5mbit/s and an allowance of about 20GB. The system should also be sufficiently responsive enough to allow for Skype Video calls - we've tested video-calling on the the system on a moving train in Mumbai and it seems to work pretty well.

My mantra for building this network has always been "if it doesn't work properly, then we won't bother" - therefore, if we say "up to 5mbit/s", then you should get roughly that amount most of the time, but definitely not less than 2. We put no more than 8 users per access-point (which itself supports over 30mbit/s).

My other mantra has always been "nothing less than broadband speeds", so in preparation for the new definition of broadband being 2mbit/s (it could happen in 2 or 3 years for all I know), so we're not offering anything less than 2mbit/s.

The only proposed FUP plan at the moment (the 45GB one) would be for those who spend most of the day on the web as fairly heavy users, but we wouldn't recommend this product for people wanting to use torrents - not to say it wouldn't be possible, just very much not recommended, and likely discouraged.

It may be such that we have to allow torrents so they work, but limit the incoming connections or something (too many incoming connections leaves open the possibility of crashing the access point, something even many standard broadband routers do, but in this case your activity would potentially affect 7 other users). As such, you might not get full-speed on torrents on the lite plans.

Even my mother-in-law uses torrents (when I do it for her, anyway), but she's also used to them coming in at 128kbit/s - so even "not full speed" on our wireless product should be significantly faster than her existing connection.

For the record, you can reduce the speed at which your torrents operate during your Skype calls - Skype is only supposed to need about 128kbit/s for voice and 512kbit/s for video.

Last but not lease, I can only wish that we were a government project. Things might be easier for us.

Last but not lease, I can only wish that we were a government project. Things might be easier for us.

And you can probably "recover" your investment even before you start.

Hayai Lite prices - we're looking at price points starting at just Rs299, but nothing over Rs999 (including taxes).

Hayai Lite would NOT be suitable for uses like bit-torrent (so, people on IBF are probably not our audience for Hayai Lite). We would actively discourage users wishing to purchase it for that purpose in our advertising.

We are looking at either data-only plans (~10 to ~50GB) or Flat-Rate with FUP. Or both, in which case probably the highest plan (for all I know at the moment, it would rival the Rs750+tax plans currently offered by BSNL etc) would be flat-rate with the rest being data only.

I imagine something like this:
Rs272 (Rs299) - 10GB
Rs407 (Rs449) - 20GB
Rs543 (Rs599) - 30GB
Rs770 (Rs849) - Flat-Rate with 45GB FUP

Speed: 5mbit/s. Hayai Zone etc still included and not counting in these data amounts, but not heavily advertised because the target audience (your parents and grandparents) probably won't care.

Do you mean that Speed of 5 mbit/s till first 10 GB and then speed drops to 256 kbps for unlimited use????

Do you mean that Speed of 5 mbit/s till first 10 GB and then speed drops to 256 kbps for unlimited use????

No. First 3 are data-plans. Only on the 45GB plan are we considering an FUP. Gigabytes still come in to play in the pricing, even at 256kbit/s, but we really want to avoid having anyone hitting the FUP and having their speeds reduced where ever possible - which is why downloading torrents on these plans are discouraged, and the data-caps on these plans should be more than sufficient for the audience to which these plans are intended.

Basically, we don't want the same issues which other wireless systems are having, so for those intending to use torrents we will strongly suggest a wired plan.

No. First 3 are data-plans. Only on the 45GB plan are we considering an FUP. Gigabytes still come in to play in the pricing, even at 256kbit/s, but we really want to avoid having anyone hitting the FUP and having their speeds reduced where ever possible - which is why downloading torrents on these plans are discouraged, and the data-caps on these plans should be more than sufficient for the audience to which these plans are intended.

Basically, we don't want the same issues which other wireless systems are having, so for those intending to use torrents we will strongly suggest a wired plan.

I really wanna see how u make this point when advertising lol. ISP should not being taking abut torrents etc i guess but seeing airtel i think it does not matter after all

But, after the use of 10GB, will the user be able to use internet or not?
If yes, at what speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back