Hayai Broadband Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 46,492
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wanna see how u make this point when advertising lol. ISP should not being taking abut torrents etc i guess but seeing airtel i think it does not matter after all

You don't. Just assume they don't know.

For the lite service, I don't think we need to worry about advertising about downloads or anything - I expect for this product we'll take the angle of smooth video calling etc

But, after the use of 10GB, will the user be able to use internet or not?
If yes, at what speed?

It's 10GB, then they will hit a page saying that their quota for the month is finished, where they will have the option to purchase more data at the rates per the existing price list.

In all likelihood, the audience for this particular product will not use the quota - these are the same people who are currently fitting in to quotas of 2 or 3GB (and occasionally being charged ~50ps per MB if they go over).

A few clarifications are in order.1. I am not a big downloader. My download is on as long as my system is on only because my speed is so low (320kbps). The stuff I download should not take too long if I had a 2 mbps connection. But then again, once I have that speed I might get greedy. One never knows.2. That plan of 20 Gb for Rs 449/- a month - I would love that. I am drooling just thinking about it.3. Notwithstanding my cynical nature about this launch, I do appreciate your presence at this forum and take it as a sign of your sincerity to do clean business. I hope you are determined to be just as available to us if/when you make it big here.OT - I would be really appreciate if someone here can point out to me how I can set up things so that uTorrents uses only left over bandwidth after Skype and other VOIP programs (I use SmartVoip and Jumblo usually only the latter).Ideally my priority is Jumblo>Skype>browser>FTP(Filezilla)>....>uTorrents.

A few clarifications are in order.
1. I am not a big downloader. My download is on as long as my system is on only because my speed is so low (320kbps). The stuff I download should not take too long if I had a 2 mbps connection. But then again, once I have that speed I might get greedy. One never knows.
2. That plan of 20 Gb for Rs 449/- a month - I would love that. I am drooling just thinking about it.
3. Notwithstanding my cynical nature about this launch, I do appreciate your presence at this forum and take it as a sign of your sincerity to do clean business. I hope you are determined to be just as available to us if/when you make it big here.

OT - I would be really appreciate if someone here can point out to me how I can set up things so that uTorrents uses only left over bandwidth after Skype and other VOIP programs (I use SmartVoip and Jumblo usually only the latter).
Ideally my priority is Jumblo>Skype>browser>FTP(Filezilla)>....>uTorrents.

1. Well, if you buy a 10, 20 or 30GB plan, you're welcome to use it - main reason we don't recommend torrents on it is because wireless turns to shit quite quickly when you start opening lots of connections, and when it doesn't work right, people complain. Not only that but many connections may cause others speeds to slow down as well (consumes CPU time of the AP). So I figure if we say on the outright that we don't recommend it for that purpose, then people don't really have the right to complain, considering we do have a product better suited to it.

2. Great stuff. I'm trying to get it deployed already in the south-ish-eastern-ish parts of the city (Chembur, Tilak Nagar, Deonar, Wadala etc) because those areas I've found are seriously suffering for choice. Let me know by PM which part of the city you're in and I can estimate a timeframe based on whenever I'm finally authorized to launch.

3. I plan to be.

4. Since I don't think ISPs in India prioritize traffic automatically, unless you want to set up some software routing which prioritizes traffic, it's probably unnecessarily complicated to do that - you're better off scheduling uTorrent to a restricted speed at all times when you're likely to be using the computer for browsing and/or VOIP, or limiting the number of connections it can open. These settings are found in options>preferences>bandwidth, and you can find the recommended settings for your line-speed in options>speed guide.

Queueing may also be of help: I personally find I get better overall speeds if I only have 3-5 torrents running at a time. On my line here, that can be the difference between receiving 1mbyte/s and 1.4mbyte/s (about 8 to 12mbit/s) - I've set the maximum speed to be about 1400kbyte/s, otherwise occasionally the Bittorrent would interfere with actual browsing and skype/msn etc, as my line reliably receives about 14.5mbit/s.

1. Well, if you buy a 10, 20 or 30GB plan, you're welcome to use it - main reason we don't recommend torrents on it is because wireless turns to shit quite quickly when you start opening lots of connections, and when it doesn't work right, people complain. Not only that but many connections may cause others speeds to slow down as well (consumes CPU time of the AP). So I figure if we say on the outright that we don't recommend it for that purpose, then people don't really have the right to complain, considering we do have a product better suited to it.
Do you mean to say that a 2mbps wireless connection will not work exactly like a 2 mbps wired one? Sorry for the ignorance but I thought the carrier itself would be transparent as far as the user is concerned.
2. Great stuff. I'm trying to get it deployed already in the south-ish-eastern-ish parts of the city (Chembur, Tilak Nagar, Deonar, Wadala etc) because those areas I've found are seriously suffering for choice. Let me know by PM which part of the city you're in and I can estimate a timeframe based on whenever I'm finally authorized to launch.
You've got PM
3. I plan to be.
Good for you.
4. Since I don't think ISPs in India prioritize traffic automatically, unless you want to set up some software routing which prioritizes traffic, it's probably unnecessarily complicated to do that - you're better off scheduling uTorrent to a restricted speed at all times when you're likely to be using the computer for browsing and/or VOIP, or limiting the number of connections it can open. These settings are found in options>preferences>bandwidth, and you can find the recommended settings for your line-speed in options>speed guide.

Queueing may also be of help: I personally find I get better overall speeds if I only have 3-5 torrents running at a time. On my line here, that can be the difference between receiving 1mbyte/s and 1.4mbyte/s (about 8 to 12mbit/s) - I've set the maximum speed to be about 1400kbyte/s, otherwise occasionally the Bittorrent would interfere with actual browsing and skype/msn etc, as my line reliably receives about 14.5mbit/s.
I don't expect the ISP to prioritize my traffic. I was just wondering if uTorrents had some kind of priority setting. I went through the setting yesterday and found there is nothing that suits me exactly. Yes I figured out that I had all those options you have listed but the point is that my use of Skype is highly unpredictable and therefore scheduling does not work for me. Although I can reasonably expect my wife to turn off uTorrents when she needs to skype, I cannot expect her to turn uTorrents on again when she is done skyping. My skype is always on but a communication is not always on. Other VOIP applications are only turned on when required.
I am on the lookout for some kind of utility that probably uses some kind of port control or application control to establish priority between applications/protocols.

Do you mean to say that a 2mbps wireless connection will not work exactly like a 2 mbps wired one? Sorry for the ignorance but I thought the carrier itself would be transparent as far as the user is concerned.

We're transparent yes, but wireless is not ideally suited technology-wise to handle large numbers of connections such as would be opened by bittorrent. It can handle HTTP streaming and stuff like that, but for P2P generally speaking it just sucks: doesn't matter if it's WiFi, WiMax, 3G or whatever.

Our main concern is that we don't want the access points to crash because everyone sits there downloading torrents - we're only putting a maximum of 8 customers per AP, but if everyone opens 500 connections with bittorrent, then that's compounded by the number of users, in this case that would be some 4,000 connections that it has to handle - which would crash an average router, or at lease significantly affect performance.

Although the access points should be built to handle multiple users (unlike an average router), and we don't think that the devices we're putting in are so shitty and unstable that they wouldn't handle it - BUT, prevention is better than cure, if you get my drift.

I don't expect the ISP to prioritize my traffic. I was just wondering if uTorrents had some kind of priority setting. I went through the setting yesterday and found there is nothing that suits me exactly. Yes I figured out that I had all those options you have listed but the point is that my use of Skype is highly unpredictable and therefore scheduling does not work for me. Although I can reasonably expect my wife to turn off uTorrents when she needs to skype, I cannot expect her to turn uTorrents on again when she is done skyping. My skype is always on but a communication is not always on. Other VOIP applications are only turned on when required.
I am on the lookout for some kind of utility that probably uses some kind of port control or application control to establish priority between applications/protocols.

On Windows there are a couple of apps but normally they'd run on a dedicated machine with 2 NICs. Likewise on Linux. Some of the more advanced routers (maybe a Linksys WRT54G with custom firmware) would do it. If I can remember the names of any particular apps I'll let you know.

^ not sure if this is feasible but maybe you could sort of dynamically limit the number of connection for the big resource hogging users when you start running close to your AP's limit say when it crosses the 75% of capacity threshold.In fact never allow any user to go beyond 50% of the AP capacity even if he is the only one at any given time and then roll back his limit further as more users come online and start making connections. Is that at all possible?Re the prioritizing, I am looking for a application running on a windows or ubuntu desktop that would control load based on applications or ports. Should be something out there if I look hard enough.

^ not sure if this is feasible but maybe you could sort of dynamically limit the number of connection for the big resource hogging users when you start running close to your AP's limit say when it crosses the 75% of capacity threshold.
In fact never allow any user to go beyond 50% of the AP capacity even if he is the only one at any given time and then roll back his limit further as more users come online and start making connections. Is that at all possible?

It's not a bandwidth limit, it's a CPU limit. I'm not currently sure how we'd go about dynamically limiting connections based on the CPU usage of the access point.

Re the prioritizing, I am looking for a application running on a windows or ubuntu desktop that would control load based on applications or ports. Should be something out there if I look hard enough.

There's definitely tons of commercial software for Windows. Just can't remember any of the names right now.

Just bumping this thread since you mentioned that Hayai Lite is already being deployed in parts of the city. As we discussed earlier, Hayai Lite would suffice for me. You have a timeline for Hayai Lite in my area?

Just bumping this thread since you mentioned that Hayai Lite is already being deployed in parts of the city. As we discussed earlier, Hayai Lite would suffice for me. You have a timeline for Hayai Lite in my area?

Like the Fiber in some parts of the city, it's in place, but (long story short) we can't turn it on, yet.

You're also in a part of the city which has relatively high demand for the wired service as well, so you should be well covered within a short amount of time after the service is launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back