• Thread starter Thread starter vissu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 8,767

vissu

Regulars
ISP
Beam Fiber 3MBPS
i have downloaded ubuntu 7.10 iso image from the site and wrote the image on cd. in runs as live cd. i saw option of installation on desktop. but i have no knowledge in making partitions. can anyone explain me how to make partitions?:wall::wall::wall:

see if u want to check it out first try the Wubi edition of Ubuntu.

ok vissu, STOP!

first of all, do yourself a favour and make a backup of all your important data and files. and by backup i dont mean copy it on the same hard disk! i mean copy it to another hard disk or burn a CD/DVD which is then kept safely away from your PC while installing ubuntu! :)

ya WUBI is probably safer although i havent tried it myself.

Start here https://help.ubuntu.com/ its still for 7.04 but still good...

For installation/partitioning info, let me search and post some links...

ok, i got this link but it doesnt explain partitioning. you have to select "manual" partitioning. if you dont already have some free unpartitioned space on your hard disk you will have to shrink/resize existing windows partitions to make space, which is risky. either run ubuntu thru WUBI or run it under vmware/virtualbox

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

Got that link from the main link here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

@vissu: please post what is your current hard disk size, and what drives and sizes you can see under windows.

i can then try to explain what will show up under the ubuntu partitioner and what numbers/options to select.

for example, if you have a 80 gb hard disk and you have created 2 drives under windows of 40gb each, say C: and D:

then ubuntu might show them as "/dev/sda1" for C: and "/dev/sda5" for D:

then you might need to shrink sda5 by at least 4 GB to make space for the installation and linux swap.

you'll then create a "/dev/sda6" linux "ext3" file system (say 3-5GB) and select for formatting , and a "/dev/sda7" linux swap partition, say 1 GB.

the "mount point" for "/dev/sda6" linux ext3 should be root "/" and for sda7 swap should be the "mount point"

hope that helps, post more queries if you have them :)

make sure u have one partition empty and use that to create partitions for linux :P

well my hard drive is almost empty :p deleted all data after backup. having only few songs from new movies, they were also copied to external hdd :P at last 7.10 installation sucks. at 60% of installation, it say media is corrupted. installation stops at this point :@ i rebooted the pc. shocking, i got message "error loading operating system" :rofl: then i have booted my pc with win98 bootable cd and recovered the partition with the help of symantec partition magic(dos version). again installing 7.04 wubi :(

the CD comes with a CD tester application. the first thing you do before installation. check your media. it's listed in one of the starting options.and i am again saying. try WUBI.

"wubi downloading" ? doesnt 7.10 come with WUBI on the same CD?anyhoo, im also installing it now on my laptop. i only checked the md5sum checksum of the ISO before burning, i dont usually do CD check. memtest is running fine - ran it just for the heck of it...

okanother tip is to avoid burning CDs at full speed. burn at 4x-8x speed max for reliable burns. plus i usually use CDRWs instead of CDRs to save on wasting them and creating coasters :)

Back